Pro Tools help - Recording E-Drums as MIDI

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Johnny Caldera, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Johnny Caldera

Johnny Caldera New Member

Hey guys,

Im pretty much a noob when it comes to recording electronic drums in the form of MIDI. I have an old roland electronic kit but i don't really like the sounds, i was wondering if there was a way i could record from the kit as midi, then replace the sounds with samples that i have taken from a friends drumkit? I have basically recorded my own samples from his kit and im just wondering if this is at all possible. Hopefully i make sense haha.

Cheers.

2. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity

Yes you can. You'll need a MIDI input on your computer or interface to record the MIDI from the electric kit. After that's done, you can insert a drum 'instrument' such as EZDrummer or Superior Drummer and the MIDI file will trigger the drums. The set up is a bit more advanced than that but there's the basics.

However, you say you want to use your own samples. In this case, you're going to need some kind of sampler instrument which allows you to load audio files in and assign them to seperate MIDI notes. Set up on this is fairly more complicated and I can't really give too much advice because it would be sampler specific. All I can say is I'm using Sonar with Cyclone DXI as my sampler and it is very nice. I don't know if it's available for other programs but I'm sure there's plenty of free samplers out there. Maybe ProTools even has a built in one?

3. Johnny Caldera

Johnny Caldera New Member

Thanks dude, this helps me get my head around it a lot more than before.