Price for Repaint (UK)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by JimF, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM.

1. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I’ve been enquiring about having a Jackson body repainted (solid non-metallic colour) and the quotes have been coming in at £200-£300. That seems high to me. Obviously it’s a lot of work etc I’ve done paintwork before. But it’s considerably more per inch when you compare it to say £1500 to spray a car. I’m not bothered about nitro finishes, I just have a black guitar I want to be green.
    Is that price about right and I’m being unrealistic?

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I usually pay between 300 and 400 Euro for pore filling, sanding, primer, solid colour, fade/burst or metallic, two/three clear layers, wet sanding and polishing. That's for a PU paintjob, body and matching front of headstock.

3. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

So I suppose that price isn’t too far off is it. Ah well I guess it’s a case of me wanting something for nothing!

4. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I was also a little shocked when I got the first quotes. After I started calculating what equipment is needed and how long the learning curve might be, I decided to go with the pro and spend the money. And that's not even considering the long learning curve it takes to create a perfect finish. I saw many custom guitars that were missing exactly this last step although many luthiers wouldn't admit that this isn't their strength.

5. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Yes that’s a good point. I’ve seen other guitars that have been let down by less than perfect finishes. Do yoi have contact details for your people? Personal recommendation means more to me than a flashy website!