Pretty Sure Everyone is Against Racism...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by -42-, Jun 23, 2012.

1. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

...but words really fail me with regards to this campaign.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's one thing to bring attention to the subtle aspects of racism that whites in general may take for granted, but I'm pretty sure that this is just whoring for controversy.

All_¥our_Bass likes this.
  2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Agreed.

This is kind of one of those unspoken things that people know about when you realize what racism is and look at it in the bigger picture. I saw a great tumblr post once talking about "white privilege" and how it doesn't mean we're better (and I would hope no white person actually thinks that's what it means we're entitled to) but that it means we'll never have insults that actually hurts us or remind us of the struggles we've had to overcome because they're virtually non-existant.

3. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

So... all white people should feel bad?

Yeah, that premise worked for feminists (all men are rapists) and for gay rights (all straight people are assholes), why not try it here?

Stupid ad is stupid.

Underworld likes this.
  4. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

Dramatic much?

This is a load of crap. Though I guess, according to this, that I don't have the inherent capacity to understand what they're suggesting.

On an aside, I like how the first girl's pupils are tiny. She seems to be uncomfortably blasted by a white camera light.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Calling it "crap" isn't right, as it is true and these things DO apply to us; but calling us out on it like it's our fault for how the past 3XX years of history played out isn't changing things either.

Also, the last ad poster with the writing on her neck about the "wrong neighborhood" - that can apply to ANY race.

6. athawulf

athawulf SS.org Regular

I was referring to the ad campaign as a load of crap. Which it is.

And most of the comments which aren't even touching on tangible aspects of "white privilege"

comments about fair skin, about being normal, being unable to detect racism etc. All crap.

7. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

8. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

This is stupid. Are they complaining about the lack of racism towards white people?

The past is irrelevant. What our ancestors did has nothing to do with us. We need to work on spreading tolerance and understanding for our current and future generations.

9. Blind Theory

Blind Theory SS.org Regular

All I can get out of this is that they want some fucked up form of equality. It is like, if racism won't go away completely then EVERYONE needs to be put on the same level and people need to be exponentially more racist towards white people just...because? I guess. As sad as our history is in some aspects, people need to realize that non-white races will always have a certain stigma about them if thinking like that remains common. This is just dumb.

10. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

This sort of message only pushes people away from each other. I understand what they are "trying" to say, (compassion towards people of other races) but the delivery really puts me off.

It feels like they are trying to say that if you are white you should feel guilty about it, or that you are incapable of understanding racism from another perspective.

Is this from the mind of someone who may be "projecting" their own guilt on all whites? Who knows, maybe someday we can get along.

11. angelophile

angelophile SS.org Regular

For a while I was building up cultural stereotypes.
    not necessarily a bad thing. I still read books on hinduism, buddhism, taoism etc + have loads of "world music" CDs.

these days I try to think in human universals, but am fascinated by differences, kind of a paradox.

(Maybe I'm trying to make up for not having perfect pitch?)

I'm getting sick of religious B.S. these days (as is my right I suppose)
    and am returning to secular humanism.

I still have an "inner critic" that makes embarrassing superficial judgements of people, I think most people have to some degree.

Obviously what we see in others is often a reflection of ourselves, know yourself and know other people.

Ryan-ZenGtr- likes this.
  12. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

White privilege. We should be aware of it. Many people aren't. We don't need to hate ourselves, just need to realise the unfair advantage that your skin colour and centuries of institutional power has granted us.

Possibly not the best delivery of the message, but I can get behind the idea.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I know I don't feel guilty one bit. Try as they may.

Spending your first 23yrs. in a whose who of various 70s model trailers will tend to erase most self guilt of white priviledge.

But for those who grew up rich or middle-class, yes, you should hate yourself ( just being sarcastic) lol.

14. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

We already had a thread on this bullshit campaign. Real racism is terrible and we are still a long way from moving past it; creating a type of racism where someone is supposedly racism by being their race is just beyond the pale counter-productive and intellectually dishonest.

15. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

From my experience as a person who grew up in a country when I was a majority, and now live in one where I am a minority, I can say the following:

It's not hard to see racism when you are white, I'm sure the white people behind this campaign do not posses any special power that allows them to see more than other white people could, or to sympathize with the victims of institutionalized racism. I believe it's hard to acknowledge any form of discrimination against a minorities when you are a majority who does not want to lose his/her social privileges, whatever the context may be.

As far as the ads go, yes, they are not pretty. I did not enjoy seeing them, but I think that's the whole point of it, to bring to our attention a subject that makes many of us uncomfortable, and makes many of us get all defensive.

16. devolutionary

devolutionary No longer 7-less

OK, so I'm more privileged for being white. Cool. So... what do you want me to do about this completely uncontrollable fact of my existence? Kill myself? OK!

17. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Now that I actually looked at the website, the ads make more sense. And I don't see how they are trying to make people white people feel guilty about their skin color. I'm sure they are aware that this so called "white guilt" is stupid in that it does absolutely nothing to address the issue of institutionalized racism. I don't think that is what they are advocating, as so many of these defensive knee jerk reactions assume. I believe the whole point is to address what they believe is a problem. And you can't address a problem if you don't even want to admit that there is one to begin with.

Now, I still have some criticism for the campaign. For one, while it asks people to become aware and take action, I think it should be a little more specific about what kind of action should be taken. Another thing, while I think the campaign is well intentioned, I think it is still too "white-centered". What I mean by that is that they seem to believe the issue of racism, whether personal prejudice or institutionalized discrimination, is one where only "whites" have a burden, or a responsibility to address. Minorities, in many cases remain deeply divided, self conscious, and apathetic; this is very detrimental as well. IMO campaigns like these should forget the top-down approach they seem to be taking, and be more inclusive, so that all people could join forces and destroy the current social hierarchies.

groph likes this.
  18. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

This reminds me of a guy I was in jail with. He was black/white mixed and was always trying to act like he's a victim of racism. After he called me a racist, I threw him off a balcony, went downstairs, and beat the shit out of him some more. THAT is how much the racism card pisses me off. I judge people by their own merits. Granted, I call people racist names when they piss me off bad enough, and when I'm that pissed, I want to slug it out.

19. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

"I'm a white man, you can't even hurt my feelings. What can you call a white man which really digs deep? Cracker? What a drag, bringing me back to the days of owning land and people" - Louis C.k

20. Metal_Webb

Metal_Webb Needs more strings

"We're lucky we're white.
    Lucky to be the majority"

Yeah, the 2.5 billion that make up China and India alone have something to say about that. :wallbash:

This whole campaign reeks of a similar smell to the whole "KONY2012" thing. Rich white kids getting all ruffled up about something they have no idea about.