Pretty Happy Helix owner here BUTTTTTTTTT.....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by J3rryAttrick, Sep 26, 2017.

1. J3rryAttrick

J3rryAttrick SS.org Regular

I'm still missing something(aren't we always).

So, my plan is to run the helix with a tube amp into a loadbox to go into the interface. Helix sounds fantastic plugged into the return of my buddies JCM900, and I am no fan of Marshalls.

So here I think "well to save me a few bucks, can't I just buy like a EVH LBX?"

I'm stuck between the 50 watt 5153 and the LBX, but if I get the LBX I can still afford the new monitors I want.

SO, basically, looking for feedback from users of both, and anyone with experience using the lower powered "lunchbox" style heads(really anything 30 watt and under) with a load box.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO if it's the power section you really want, getting something with those tiny tubes and transformers isn't going to give you what you're looking for. I really like lunchbox amps for a number of reasons, but "having an impressive, powerful, punchy power section" is not one of them.

3. J3rryAttrick

J3rryAttrick SS.org Regular

Looking at a 100 watt and a 50 watt on the bay.

Reading that the 50 watt has a cleaner clean channel though. I wonder how much of a difference the 50 and 100 would be with a load box?

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Perhaps a Carvin TS100 might be your ideal.
    Mate you can find a used on on Reverb or EBay.