Precision Drive noise gate; how sensitive is it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by starbelly, Sep 19, 2017.

1. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

I managed to take my Precision Drive out for a spin last night at band practice and loved it! However, I had a question about the noise gate; even with the gate all the way up, my guitar would still feed back very easily. Is this normal? I was feeding back so much it was as if I didn't even have a noise gate at time, yet it was dimed.

With my ISP Decimator, I can have the gate set pretty low and feedback won't get through.

2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

It's totally normal. The gate on the PD is never, ever going to be as good as using a stand alone gate, and it was never designed with that intention. It's there to help lower the noise floor of the pedal itself, nothing more.

3. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

Ah dang. Fair enough. I was just hoping I could knock a pedal off my board, haha.

Hollowway likes this.
  4. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

I was hoping the same thing but I have to run the Decimator alongside it as well.

5. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

Hm. I need to test this again more thoroughly.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

How high do you have the level and gain set on the pedal? Misha has said before that about halfway up or 1:00 on the volume is about the same as maxing out a regular pedal like a TS9. The gate circuit of the Precision Drive comes after the overdrive, so if you have the volume way way up, you may have trouble with introducing too much signal/volume/noise to the gate and it will struggle to clamp down.

starbelly likes this.
  7. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

Makes sense. I was just boosting the front end of my Mark V 25 on the extreme setting in channel 2. I'm aware of the parameters of the pedal and had the level at around 1:00, and the gain all the way off.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  8. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

@TheWarAgainstTime @oracles

Is it normal for the perceived volume (and gain?) to decrease as you increase the attack knob? I'm assuming this is because the lows are getting shelved off.

9. R34CH

Kinda unrelated but how do you like the Mark V 25 when boosted by the Precision Drive? With my own V 25, I've always thought it reacted kinda strange to any boost (PD included) and usually run it without (but I guess that could just be with my preferred settings). The Precision Drive in front of the 6505 is godlike though...

10. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

So far so good! I've only fiddled with the two for a few days. I think it sounds much better at stage volume rather than bedroom volumes. I use the PD to boost the extreme mode in channel 2, which has a softer attack. I have a slight V curve in the graphic EQ.

11. R34CH

Mm..yeah I've never really cranked it before. I'll try that out! Thanks!