Pre gig jitters

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by UnattendedGolfcart, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

You should keep that cable tucked through your strap so it doesn't get yanked out if you step on it or hook it on your pedalboard/singer. :shred:

2. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

I play hackey sack before shows and feel way better

3. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

I think everyone develops their own pre-show rituals that help them control their nerves, you'll find what works for you.

For me, I have to listen to First It Giveth by Queens of the Stone Age before every gig, no idea why :lol: but it works

4. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I definitely should, I'm just one of those dudes who likes holding their guitar really high so I spend so much effort getting my head/arms through the strap I forget to wrap the cable :lol:

Here's a video of my band's intro and first song if anyone was interested. Vocalist forgot some of the lyrics but overall it turned out pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD-yMhm5Yaw

5. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I do stretching exercises. Helps a lot. Keeps me from pulling something, too.

6. CGrant109

CGrant109 SS.org Regular

I found doing some yoga stretches for about 10-20 minutes really, really helped.

Getting out and away from the venue (making sure you're all good for the soundcheck and everything else). Go for a walk for a couple minutes and practice taking long deep breathes.

If you drink, I've found having 1-2 beers (low % beer, usually Newcastle or Stella or something you don't have to think about) helps out quite a bit too. Make sure you can control this though and don't end up playing sloppy because of it (been there).

Just remove the importance that it has anything to do with you. You're playing with your bandmates and they're all having the same kind of thing going on mentally too. You spend all this time practicing, to lead up to that moment of playing a show for people to enjoy. Think about one of your favorite concert experiences, think about how the band's overall performance was. Just have fun!

7. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

That's pretty much how I am - as in knowing i'll be fine once the gig starts. I played almost every week for awhile there and still got nerves here and there. Preparation is a good place to start - of course knowing the material, but make sure you have everything you could possibly need and a plan to get set it up quickly so you can relax a bit. Once you know your rig is all setup and working properly, it's easier to relax. I always liked to get setup, say hello to everyone, shoot the .... a bit, then give myself 10 minutes to chill out alone and calm down a little (especially on hot days - with the a/c kicking in the car). That way i'd get on stage feeling fresh and rip roaring to go, rather than fresh off setting up a bunch of gear and frazzled.

Especially for 3 songs, simplify your rig as much as possible, don't bring 4 guitars unless absolutely needed - make life easy on yourself.

bets of luck!

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't really gig much anymore, but back when I did, I was always nervous as .... before getting on stage... And then, as soon as I step out on stage, it's gone. I just get really in-the-moment and stop thinking. It's a total rush.

9. jase

jase SS.org Regular

Make sure you have something to eat within the 30min before your set. And if you play a longer set, have a minute or two break at around the mid point of your set for a drink of water.

And I find screaming can release the tension and nervousness, so you could try that next time, just scream your lungs out in the crowd during the set before yours.

And like others have said, enjoy and have fun!

10. eyeswide

eyeswide SS.org Regular

I'm a little late now, but visualization is key! Before your set, just picture yourself up there killing it. When it comes time to play, get it in your head that you've already nailed the set, and now all you've got to do is just play the songs.

Easy peas!

11. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

i always take a nervous .... before every show i have ever played