Pre gig jitters

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by UnattendedGolfcart, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I have a show with my band today at 3. It's a big day long concert my friends are putting on. My band is only playing an intro and three songs but it's our first gig and it's my first non-cover band gig in like four years. I'm really nervous.

I know I shouldn't be because I'm playing to a ton of my friends who will be supportive no matter how we do, but I've still got nerves over it.

Any advice? I know once I start playing it'll be fine but right now I feel like a nervous wreck.

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Don't overthink things. That would be my #1 recommendation. Been there.

Other than that... what works for some may not work for others so...

I highly doubt that this would even be a consideration but since I've seen it happen before and actually been on the bad side of this several times... make sure you don't drink ( much if any) before the show. Can't stress how many times I've seen guys want to "take the edge off" and wind up with horrible results.

Have fun, man and just go with the flow. Awesome that you have a good fan-base that will be there to support you. Make sure that everything is double-checked with sound, equip, etc. Other than that, let whatever happens happen. Enjoy.

3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I know it's easier said then done, but once the music starts just pretend the crowds not there. I get the same thing, but I just tell myself that once our drummer counts in it's just the three of us like it is every practice. Hope this helps. Either way good luck. Just remember: none of the audience knows how it's supposed to sound so just play with confidence and they won't be able to tell if you fvcked up or not.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

This.:yesway:

5. Mangle

Mangle Breaker

Got some good advice right there. 3 songs will be over before you know it.

6. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I like to have a drink or two - not more than two as obviously I don't want it to impair my playing. Just enough to take the "edge" off. Works great for me. No idea how old you are so you might not have that option, and I'm sure many will vehemently detest the idea, but it works for me.

Rev.

7. asher

asher So Did We

Especially if you have one or two most practices :lol:

Try not to over think. You've practiced this stuff, let it come out - I think I make a lot more mistakes on transitions (ughh) if I'm trying to think about it.

8. UnattendedGolfcart

Thanks guys.

We played. It was okay... by my standards.

Than again, my standards for myself are outrageously high.

Overall it went fine, we hit everything we needed to, we ....ing headbanged, I biffed a solo but nobody really noticed I think. We ....ed up a few times but always got back on track. Unfortunately since our singer had never practiced with us before (he lives a couple hours away in my hometown) the vocals weren't great but he hit his marks on the major parts. It was fun. I have post show depression "why weren't we better" and all that .... but we got so many compliments so I know I'm just beating myself up over nothing. The whole experience was fun.

I got some food and headed back to my apartment where I'm chilling and sitting for the first time in like five hours then I'm heading back to the house to watch the rest of the bands. Hopefully I'll get some pics or vids up.

9. UnattendedGolfcart

Here's a few pics from the show ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a great time playing. The post show "depression" very quickly faded and I'm just glad I got to have a good experience with my friends.

10. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

- Do not ask for advice right before a performance. Likewise, do not give advice right before a performance.
    - Ask for advice in a day or two.
    - Its normal to be nervous when your ego feels threatened. That is one reason why people are afraid of "speaking in public." Thespians, dancers, and musicians learn how deal with that feeling, most people avoid it their entire lives.

No matter how poorly I play or how well I play, I always feel a euphoric sense of contentment while mentally criticizing various aspects of my playing. I also want to perform again immediately after, without fail. Perhaps that is what you call "post show depression."

Lastly, based off those pictures, you were playing outside in a backyard with a singer the band had never rehearsed with and a drummer whose only piece of clothing I can account for is a shoe on his left foot. I'm not suggesting you compromise your personal integrity but as a band, you guys were facing some objective disadvantages. If you are still wondering "why weren't we better" consider these observations as potential reasons. i could be wrong though....:shrug:

11. UnattendedGolfcart

I only asked because I felt fine leading up to it, but the morning of the show I felt nervous. That's why I asked then.

We had fun, that's what matters. We weren't getting paid, we were at my friend's house, at least eight other bands played, and our drummer's other band had just played before us so that's why he was shirtless and shoeless haha

I'm not mad at our performance and I know that everyone, including the crowd, had fun. Anyone who would be actively criticizing us for our first and only show, I don't care to know them because they missed the point. Nobody was judging, most people were drunk or high at that point. I'm just overly critical of myself in this situation because I haven't played out in years. I quickly got over my self-consciousness and knew that having fun was what mattered.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used to take care of my nerves by doing some stretches and walking around the venue. Just trying to get my mind off of actually playing for as long as possible before we set up on stage, then I would pretend that I was playing a huge festival :D

I found that if I tried to think of playing our set just like a practice, I'd end up over-analyzing and looking at the other members/my fretboard, but if I thought of it as an even bigger gig, I would just let the music happen and have more fun with it.

Also, cool pics! I've got the same TSF hoodie :metal:

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Go on a run. That's just what I do if I get the jits, which has been happening since I haven't been playing steady gigs. A little bit of beer helps, but I don't drink much at all anymore so it goes a long way. I know if I get too tipsy I get sloppy and thrashy.

Something that has previously helped me, was to make an ass out of myself by playing and singing some Celine Dion in falsetto before the set. It's all uphill from there :yesway:

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I really think the take home lesson here is to NEVER leave a golf cart unattended, because there's always that risk that someone will steal the drummer's clothes.

15. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I think it is just a matter of having fun. If you don't fully enjoy what you are doing (or about to do), then you will feel nervous. On the other hand, if you think about how good you will feel during and afterwards, about the adrenaline rush, about physical and psychological rewards, then your performance will be full of confidence.
    Maybe you won't perform well, but you will have a smile printed on your face.

And this true for any kind of performance. Playing sports, job interviews, university exams... this is how you beat "stage fright".

PS: It also depends on the other guys in the band, of course. I always had the luck to play in bands where fun and feelings were priorities, even though the songs were quite technical and required some skills. You messed it up? Who cares, keep playing and laugh.

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Mission accomplished then. :yesway:

If you're having fun, the other band members are having fun, the audience is having fun- everything else is secondary.

17. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

..yeah like sounding good :lol:

18. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

If you don't sound and play REALLY AWFUL, then yes, even that is secondary.

19. Seybsnilksz

Seybsnilksz SS.org Regular

You don't need that guitar. I need that guitar. Gimme.

20. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

My best advice is to practice the songs until you can play them without thinking. It's always nice to know that u are able to play the songs good enough even though you're nervous or having anxiety.