Practice and recording amp for guitar AND Bass?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by randomas, Sep 4, 2017.

1. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

I'm trying to optimise both space and time to practice (i.e. the time it takes from decision to pick up the instrument to when you're actually playing).
    I mainly play guitar, but also own a bass and like playing it every now and again. I already own a 15W valve head (diy build) which doesn't get used because it's too loud and needs warm up and cooldown time. A Line6 spider IV 75W with pedal control which I positively hate. And finally a zoom g3x which I love, but needs to get pulled out of the drawer and set up with a PC and Stereo/Cans/active speaker every time to be used properly.
    My use case is home/practice and usb recording, needs to sound good quiet and with headphones (10 month old kid). I want the USB to have both wet and dry channels and possibly reamping.
    I only want one box to do everything. I don't want to use PC pluggins I don't like being tethered to the PC when not recording.
    So far I've seen the Yamaha THR 10, the Blackstar BEAM and the Peavey VIP.
    Everyone is raving about the THRs, and I really like the feature set of the BEAM, but I havn't found a single video ABing the THR and the BEAM particularly on usb recording features, which is odd since I would think it'd be an obvious comparison...

Experiences? Opinions? Are there any options I missed?

TIA.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The idcore beam is a decent little practice amp

3. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Yes all three options are, from what I've read and heard on the tube, decent practice amps. I was looking at the Vox Adio as well but it turns out there's a guitar and a bass version so scratch that. I'm not so hot on the peavey even though it's the cheapest because ... well it's ugly and doesn't really double as a music player. Which leaves the Yamaha and the Blackstar.

As far as I can tell the Blackstar has 2 big plusses:
    1. usb reamping mode
    2. bluetooth music streaming
    3. Acoustic simulator
    For the life of me I don't understand why oh why they didn't use the BT channel as a controller for an app as well instead of having it only via usb on pc, this is just bloody stupid.

The thr:
    1. has more knobs, so can be edited directly without software
    2. Everyone says it's amazing?
    I'm really hoping to get an opinion off someone who's tried both.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

How about some kind of hardware modeler like Line6 Pod HD500, Helix etc. with active studio monitors or single pa-speaker?

5. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

I have a zoom G3X that I like very much and I thought about getting active monitors for it, but to start with it's guitar specific (there's a separate unit for bass) and also active monitors and PA speakers are tad expensive.
    My bad for not pointing out that I wanted to stay in the Yamaha-Blackstar price range or lower.
    Also the floor space real estate and wiring complexity makes it messy. I don't want to find my kid and dog tied up in a bundle of wires with a speaker on their head!:eek:

I really need something that fits in the desktop amp category that's just plug and play with the least possible complexity. I have no time left, I want to play more and fiddle less.