Power amp and cab for Line 6 Pod hd?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ESP_0bsessed, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ESP_0bsessed

ESP_0bsessed SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    ive had myself a line 6 hd500 since release back in september, and i gotta say, i love the thing, but headphones just arnt doing it for me anymore, plus id like to future proof myself ready for gigs.
    my budget is around £500($800)
    Fire away :)

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

If I were you, I'd just get a couple of nice active monitors.

Peavey's good or Mackie would be awesome.

Mackie SRM 450 v2 Active Speaker (2 Available) on eBay (end time 29-Mar-11 16:56:16 BST)

Not my listing btw, just googled Mackie SR 450.

The nice thing about Active monitors like that is you can use Amp and cab modelling to the full, going into a tube poweramp and say a mesa 412 will colour your cab sims and make most of them sound like ass.

3. Despised_0515

Despised_0515 Bassist of Redivider Contributor

I don't know what VHT's go for over there (more expensive I'd think) but a 2/50/2 power amp is right in that price range. That's what I'd pair my HD500 with if I had the funds.

(UK guys, please step in?)

Thing is, you can bypass the cab sims by switching to "Stack Power Amp" mode. I've gotten pretty pleasing results (to my ears anyway) using that output mode into Recabinet.

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

It does work very well, I'll agree. An Active monitor would easily be the cheapest option.

VHT just doesn't exist in this country, so OP would have to get a USA one and pay shipping and tax and get a tranny etc etc.

If I were looking for a power amp:

On a budget, Peavey every time, dirt cheap and you can get huge amounts of power for lots of headroom. Processors like power.

With a bit more money I'd look at importing a VHT or ENGL

With any amount of money I'd go for a Mesa Strategy 400 (around 600 here in the UK) or more likely a 2:90 (more like a grand).

Problem is you then need a cab....

For something like that, a Marshall Mode Four cab with the GK-100's would be perfect. Easy to find and cheap used too.

5. ESP_0bsessed

Thanks very much, im going to look into some monitors, what are KRK's like?

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Excellent.

Little smaller than I expected you to be looking at, guess I should have asked lol. You couldn't gig them, they're studio monitors really. If it was for a gig I'd get a powered wedge or two probably, that way you can mike one up or just send your HD to the house PA and you still have proper monitoring - I'd keep it above 12 inch if you do this or it'll sound nasty.

Fostex are similar. Ultra loud, very clear but cheaper I think. Definitely not as good, but you do save some serious dough.

7. ESP_0bsessed

Im looking at the KRK Rokkit pair, they are £250
    and my friend alex uses them in his home setup,
    he loves them.

8. JeffHenneman

JeffHenneman SS.org Regular

I have a podxt pro and I run it with a mesa 2:90. It sounds awesome. I have had a few VHt power amps, but I love the Mesa more. To me the Mesa works so good with the line 6 stuff. It adds depth to the sound. You can find them on eBay all the time for about the price range you are looking at

9. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Seeing as VHT is now known as Fryette I take it you mean this? FRYETTE G2502S - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Personally I'd check ebay as there is always someone selling the Marshall 20/20 & 50/50 poweramps and they tend to be at a good price as most people don't seem to know their worth.

10. pathos45

pathos45 SS.org Regular

the mesa 400 is one hell of a freaking power amp, 12 power tubes you can mix match them with 6l6 and el34s, or even have a 6l6, el34 and kt88 party which my other guitarist has right now with a mesa stuido pre amp and holllllllllllly f*ck. It is a beast of a power amp though 3 spaces and weighs a good 50 60 pounds. Can power up to 4 4x12s the thing is just over kill yet amazing.

11. Rook

Rook Electrifying

That is the VHT we're talking about (Fryette, whatever), they're much cheaper in the USA, not really worth considering in these parts.

You're spot on with the Marshall Power Amps, they have no following at all in this country so sell for very little on a regular basis.

12. xjust1nx

xjust1nx SS.org Regular

I run my Pod HD500 through a BBE Sonic Maximizer into a Crown XLS402 into a 4x12 Mesa Rectifier Cab. I Love this setup SO MUCH ! :agreed:

13. maccayoung

maccayoung SS.org Regular

I was using my hd500 with a velocity 300. I'd give that a try, the reactance and definition dials give you some really nice control.