Post Your GAS

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Scar Symmetry, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

I'll have never-ending gas for this

[​IMG]

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

3. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

I want this in a 7.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The early 2004 MIK Peavey Wolfgangs EXPs are... TERRIBLE. Honestly, it is really not the same guitar. [Disclaimer: I have multiple PRS private stock guitars, yet I think my MIK Schecter Loomis is one of my best guitars... so, not a hater lol] The trem looks like it was machined out of cheap aluminum in someone's garage, the neck is rock maple not birdseye and not particularly nice rock maple (think cheap squier neck). The nut feels like cheap Chinese knockoff machined metal as well lol. The Grover minituners only on this model were terrible and are usually the giveaway when someone has a fake (also the SN either not beginning with a 9, not being branded, or the font alignment being messed up). There is some debate (scandal?) regarding whether the pickups were actually the same or "based on" the USA pickups, which are some of the best pickups ever made IMO. The overall QC was very poor too. Whatever factory they were using was sub par compared to the one Schecter/LTD was built in. So yeah, I would avoid these at all cost. Also, they have low resale value and draw zero interest (and condescension lol) from Wolfgang aficionados.

The USA made Peaveys (from Meridian MS; 1996-2004 era) all have the same hardware/parts and QC, regardless of whether they are the Special, Standard, Deluxes, or early rosewood fretboard "customs". The only exception is the use of highly figured birdseye maple on the Standard model (also some deluxes and more customs).

I have several MIA, MIM, MIC, MIK, and MIJ EVH Wolfgangs. I've said before I had some easily remedied QC issues with my MIC Wolfgang Special Stealth [I blame the reseller though, more than the factory, but that is a different issue lol]. All of them have the exact same parts from what I can tell and there are no glaring QC differences between them. The MIC EVH I have is actually a fantastic player with super low action and no buzz. I was actually shocked when I saw the MIC sticker, because at the time I thought it was MIJ (which it felt like). For whatever reason, I think that FMIC does much better with controlling the QC of their outsourced manufacturing, than some other companies. I don't think I would hesitate to snatch an EVH Special at the right price, regardless of country of origin.

I also have a bunch of Peavey HP guitars and those are amazing too. IMO they actually found ways to improve upon the design, or more accurately they removed some of the EVH placed restrictions lol. Previously, even getting rosewood on your fretboard required it being smuggled out of the custom shop as a "custom" (when EVH saw them back in 1996, he said no and they stuck them in a closet in the factory for about 7 years, and then finally sold them through the custom shop even though they were 100% assembled on the factory floor lol).

I haven't played a Sterling AX40, but I have several EBMM Axis/EVH guitars which are fantastic. Personal preference for me is Peavey>FMIC EVH>>EBMM>Charvel, but I just really like the Peavey/EVH design, playability, and setup. I played a bunch of Sterlings at Sam Ash in Manhattan and I was extremely impressed, especially for the money. I would still buy an EVH or Peavey over one of those though.

I'm excited to try and will definitely be buying Peavey HP2 guitars lol. The Custom Shop HP that I bought for my daughter when she is old enough to play is as awesome as any private stock guitar I've ever played. You can find USA HP Specials for $600-1500 with various options (some NOS) and they are absolutely worth it. I'm remember reading some minor changes were implemented, but overall they look like all the greatness is still there.

The only EVH model I have yet to try is the newer Wolfgang WG. I love the new colors and tops, but I worry if they are of the same quality? I believe they are MII? The only complaint I have regarding FMIC EVH gear is that they change the country of manufacturing regularly and do not inform buyers. Often, you won't know where your new guitar was made until you receive it or ask the authorized dealer questions. IIRC they switched the country of the amps to Mexico, and the first anyone knew was when they looked at the sticker on the back. EVH made no announcements and it was nowhere to be found on their website either. I remember asking MF and they had to send someone to the warehouse to open one up and look to answer my question.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    HeHasTheJazzHands and feraledge like this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

This looks like something I should have. My goal is 100 pedals on my board by Christmas lol.

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  6. ohmanthisiscool

ohmanthisiscool SS.org Irregular

Quick mockup for ya.
    evh-51070015-03.jpg
    Also the peavey predator plus 7 was very similar but with rosewood fretboard and much lower quality, but aesthetically similar hahah

7. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Downsizing plans out the window?? Haha.
    Thanks for the Wolfgang write up too. Using the same couple model names on vastly different guitars (where produced, specs, etc) makes the Wolfgang family really hard to walk into from a pedestrian angle.
    This has been on and off my radar for a while:
    [​IMG]
    I bought one of these when they first came out:
    [​IMG]
    Decent, but didn't seem to sufficiently scratch that itch.

8. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Damn dude, thanks for the info. :D

So, would you say the best bang-for-the-bucks would be either the MiC EVH Wolfgang Standard and the MiA Peavey Wolfgang Special? And to avoid the Mik Peaveys like the plague?

10. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

This was supposed to be my guitar. I ordered it, almost had it paid off, but fell on a much tighter financial situation and had to sell it before it even left the shop. If I ever have money again, I'd go for another (though I would pick different woods, hardware colour and pickups). Wish I at least had a chance to play around with it.
    https://www.nealmoserguitars.com/st...moser-61~~112-neck~~~1thru-double-neck-guitar

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

EW KILL IT WITH FUCKING FIRE! God, that thing is ugly. The Tommy Thayer version was -- gaspshockhorror -- a lot better looking and didn't have a goofy looking bridge.

12. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I didn't want to clutter the forum with a thread about it but I was really hoping that you had some experience with this one... or somebody on here.

Anyway... I can try it for 3 days before making a decision so I think that it's going to be coming my way next week.

Thank god for Christmas!... aka "That Day That Guitarists & Tone Chasers Can Always Use As An Excuse To Acquire New Gear Even If It's Only September"

13. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

IMG_7393.JPG

14. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

That looks rad, thanks!

15. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

More black satin GAS...giving this one some serious thought, as it would be cool to have something a little different than the rest of my collection:

[​IMG]

16. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aristides killing it as of late...

17. BrailleDecibel

^^Definitely my favorite Aristides finish...now if only there were a way to get the Explorer I posted above with that finish, that would be pretty sweet!

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

you could always find a guitar refinishing place like marty bell's shop, they'd probably do that for you, it's probably just getting the rainbow sparkles/glitter and putting it into the clear coat over a black base. I've been working on a gold sparkle destroyer body.
    [​IMG]

narad and BrailleDecibel like this.
  19. BrailleDecibel

Thanks for the info dude! Also, sweet sparkly gold Destroyer you've got there! That should look pretty sick once you put it back together.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

yeah it'll look pretty cool. sparkles need more love, same with fluorescent colors.

BrailleDecibel likes this.