Post Modernism in higher education.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by will_shred, Sep 27, 2018.

1. fps

fps Kit

I like the post, but back Drew who finds merit in the sense of play, playing with structures, poking the eye of them, yet ultimately relying on them as the thing which is kicked against, and provides the material. I don't think that necessarily has to mean a willingness to dismantle those structures.

I can see where there would be correlation between postmodernism and nihilism in the recognition of the lack of value, in your personal response, to these things, but one can still recognise the value others place in the structures, and indeed that's part of the charm of mashing them up and wilfully baffling an audience. I see a closer connection to existentialism than nihilism, in fact, because it's taking in all culture and input within a single moment and trying to respond to it in a single moment. But these are broad generalisations I'm making due to lack of time, sorry.

2. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

The mistake is in thinking that culture is an arbitrary set of ideas and habits that you have to actively choose to participate in. I’m not exactly a biological determinist, but when somebody says that culture and hierarchy are social constructs, I always say “constructed from what?” It’s like, you have to trace it back to something, and to say that you can trace it back to the playful experimentation of a free agent is a bit careless. Free will exists (as far as I can tell, but this is a whole other can of worms), but there are rules (biology, environment, physics) and they significantly limit the scope of the “game,” such that you don’t really have the luxury of being a post-modernist if you wanted to. I don’t want to repeat myself too much, but rejecting biology, nature, and the intuition that life is worth doing right (that is, living in a way that is meaningful) is nihilism, no matter how you word it or sugar coat it.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...so, you, along with Peterson, are both modernists?

I strongly disagree with your claim that post-modernism is nihilism, but whatever.

4. fps

fps Kit

I think we can say culture can be constructed from the human urge and need to interact, and the potential for culture within any group of individuals thrown together, can't we? It's certainly interaction rather than free agents. I don't understand the bit from there where you say no-one has the "luxury" of being a post-modernist - I think many people do, and of course the personal and professional are also different spheres in this regard. Not that post-modernism is necessarily linked to any financial system, unless we're drawing everything to its extreme conclusions.