Possibly the scariest bit of legislation I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Drew, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Not true. The federal courts, including the Supreme Court are limited in scope to what Congress permits them to do. Let me quote from Article III, Sec. 2 of the Constitution: "The judicial power shall extend to all cases, in law and equity, arising under ... the laws of the United States". The Constitution creates the judicial branch and set out some of its basic authority, but Congress has the power through legislation to limit the types of cases the courts (including the Supreme Court) can hear--and Congress has done so many times throughout American history, including in the original Judiciary Act of 1789 that created the federal court system.

Throughout U.S. history, the three branches of govt. have waxed and waned in power, but in the last 50 years or so the Judiciary has assumed a great deal of power that it never had before.

I don't favor the legislation at issue, but then I think the Pledge of Allegiance is silly, as well. Our schools are too busy making our kids "feel good about themselves" to bother teaching them to read and write adequately, but then they seem to find the time to force them to recite this bunch of fascist nonsense.

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I stand corrected, oh lawyerly one. :lol:

3. jacksonplayer

Believe it or not, I was a constitutional lawyer before I reverted to being a longhaired freak. :hber:

I primarily learned to hate government in all its forms. I also learned to hate most lawyers...

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Canada keeps looking more and more appealing. Maybe I should move there, study stem cells, come up with the cure for alzheimer's disease and for diabetes, then have them distributed through a health care system. Meanwhile, back here in the USA, you guys can continue trying to start some sort of religious apocalypse by rezzurecting Terry Schiazo (sp?) with Hitler's brain to be the next president. No thanks.

People should be free to practice Christianity, other Monotheistic beliefs, or Atheistic/Polytheistic/Pantheistic/Agnostic whatever. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you should be able to force them to chant the name of your diety.

5. jacksonplayer

With apologies to our Canadian friends here, taxes up there *really* suck. And Canada has less protection for individual rights, particularly freedom of speech, than does the USA. Canada's a nice country full of nice people, but I think I'll stick with the USA.

6. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

Oh but bostjan, they don't say WHICH god they're talking about.

It could be a god from ANY religion.

[/mockery]

Ever heard that argument before?

7. eaeolian

Yes, far too many times...

8. David

David je t'aime Contributor

now that I read the article, I didn't even see the thing about under God. I think they should just take that sucker out. They're spending more money bitching about it, and thinking about it, than it would cost to just pull it and be neutral.

I'm atheist, and I'm not under any God. Fuck that. Can I not sleep at night because it says that on the $1 bill in my wallet? No... I sleep fine, it's nothing too big. BUT, when people tell me that we have to pay extra to change the dollar bill, by making new bills without the phrase "In God We Trust." Well shit, they just redid the bill about 10 times, I mean, they had to pay someone to sit there and add that into it... they've had many opportunities to pull it w/o spending extra money.

9. noodles

noodles Contributor

All references to god were added in the 50's. Our founding fathers would never have had anything to with mixing religion and government. They had enough of that shit from the country they left.

Jefferson has some great things to say on the subject:

http://www.nobeliefs.com/jefferson.htm

10. Dive-Baum

Dive-Baum Bite Me Fan Boy!!

I knew that but what about "In G-d We Trust" isn't that much older than that? I don't actually know...I'm asking here. I know we were founded on religous freedom but our Founders were all, or at least quite a few of them were Deists.

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Right, they wanted to keep god away from the government, cause of what happened with the churhc and government in Europe, though. So seperation of Church and state was a big deal. Most of them were deists (In the sense, that if there is a god, it started the universe and essentially sits and watches..) or Atheists...

12. noodles

noodles Contributor

Deist: The "Swiss Watchmaker" religion. God is like a watch maker, who built everything, set it in motion, and stepped back to be a passive observer.

13. eaeolian

Cool, they quote my favorite comment of his:

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own."

Never so true in the U.S. as now.

14. noodles

noodles Contributor

I'm partial to this one myself:

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."

15. MetalMike

MetalMike IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD Contributor

Straying a little off topic here.. theres a growing number of people who believe in the September 11th conspiracy theories as in the government causing the tragedy in order to justify invasions and the loss of civil liberties we have because of the bill of rights thus leading into the eventual creation of a police state. As crazy as it sounds at first.. they have some legitimate points. (like using laws of physics to contradict official government statements on the tragedy) Theres a documentary on google video called loose change that shows an incredible amount of discrepencies from what we were told happened to what actually happened. It's very scary to think about a totalitarian state but imagine if something like the eventual complete demise of democracy has already began? That is pretty fucked up to say the least.