Possible Pipe bomb explosion/attack in NYC

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

I forget the context now but you had it coming at the time. I already tried a couple times telling people "watch it or you're getting banned" slap on the wrist threat and when they call your bluff, they notice they can still log in and talk shit for three or four days before the ban comes down. That threat loses its sting that way, so I don't bother.

If I tell you something, apolitically, about being respectful of others on here or making some effort in being more clear and less inflammatory on here, that's a polite way of saying chill because a ban is coming down or you're going to ruin this for everybody by getting this thread deleted.

Fwiw, Alex wanted this subforum gone and wanted most of the OT gone entirely before the last change came down. I think we can get back in line enough to keep this subforum an intelligent exchange of ideas but if this is going to stay a chronic issue, I'll absolutely get this subforum closed and I already know Alex and enough of the other mods are on board with that concept.

Spaced Out Ace and Necris like this.
  2. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Well i was banned for excessive trolling. And i was not trolling. Trolling is when someone has the primary intention of coming in stirring shit up for laughs and getting off on it. What i was doing, was practically defending myself from about 10 or so members. And its very taxing to do that, especially all from my smart phone. I remember some members were asking me to cite sources and while i did post my sources up to a certain point, i told them to, (as people love to say around here........actually anywhere on the net), "do a quick google search", because i was literally exhausted from trying to do everything on my phone, not to mention i was at work.

Yes i know i couldve waited until later, or just stopped responding to the thread altogether; but whatever. Shoulda coulda woulda. Fwiw i dont remember seeing any slap on the wrist type warnings i can recall. (Not that i was doing anything different from the rest of the members involved).

But that is hardly considered trolling

3. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

Well I'll offer this as advice to you, as someone who's befriended a lot of conservative members on this forum before (and who's worked in campaigning for people in both parties and no parties).

I'm glad you weren't permanent banned and while I don't think your contributions to this specific subforum have been of great value, i appreciate different perspectives. I'd prefer to have no reasons to have to ban you again. I'll also mention that your ban came as a result of multiple reported posts by people not even engaged in debate with you.

My advice would be, if you honestly think you're fighting 10 on 1 and your only recourse is all out war, just do yourself a favor and take a break. I say this as somebody who's been on your side of an argument a time or two.

I'm not telling you that majority rules and that you should just give up if you're outnumbered but if everyone who reads your posts starts to dislike you personally and literally nobody exhibits and receptiveness to your points... Maybe tone it down or rethink things some.

Like I said, you don't need to change or give up but continuing fighting with 10 or more people while not changing anybody's minds or eliciting any concessions from them, then what are you doing it for? That certainly sounds kinda like "stirring shit up for laughs and getting off on it" or at least something hard to distinguish between.

4. Unleash The Fury

Thank you sir for your polite response.........point taken. :)

Spaced Out Ace and Randy like this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I know this isn't the place, and I didn't want to jump into this thread in its current state but...

To be fair, you called me a dick in one thread, insulted Drew in this one, and I think insulted narad somewhere, too.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I agree with this -- both the point I'm going to address, and the post in general. I don't think UTF's contributions were of much worth, but I appreciate the perspectives of others, even if I don't agree. Also, just to be clear, mine also of much worth either, so don't think I'm judging someone harsher than I'd judge myself.

Also to elaborate, my problem -- for lack of a better word -- with UTF's posts are that they are off topic, not that I think he's wrong or "I can't handle the opinion of others" or anything of that sort.

When it's like this, my suggestion would be to address 2-3 people max -- the ones that would also allow you to basically address the rest in a less direct way, as it covers their posts as well -- and ignore the rest. I typically try to do this, though a few times it's resulted in people being upset or whatever because I "ignored them" or "neglected to address their point." In fact, I agreed with someone, and they took issue with me, though it got worked out and was a matter of misreading my comment.

If memory serves, Drew actually took my side on that one. Drew and I have butted heads and frankly didn't solve fuck all at the end of it, but I respect him enough to have a discussion rather than a flippant approach that I might take with some people if I don't care enough to bother.

Good point. It might be UTF's approach that is the issue, and not his points. I technically agree with some of his stances in theory, but don't care for the fact that he is basically off topic. I probably haven't backed him up in threads if memory serves, but I am pretty sure I've liked some of his posts.

As I mentioned earlier, address 2-3 people that are making the most important points and ignore the rest.

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I can tell you now things certainly have changed in the last few months because I posted a controversial opinion, I was called an uneducated redneck and I told him that I don't know if he was weak but he probably was, I was banned, that person was not. If I choose to have a certain stance on abortion, and someone else has a different one, I wouldn't stoop to ridicule that person on a personal level just for that opinion and yet for my retaliation I was banned. So I'm sorry, but some of you mods acted like fucking liberal Nazi's before the change.

Oh right, pipe bomb explosion. Yeah, that sucks.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

:rofl:

vilk likes this.
  9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Banned for calling someone "weak" so you decided to knock it up a notch and go with "fucking liberal Nazis"? Perhaps you were being offensive in many threads simultaneously?

Anyway, were you mad because you were erroneously called uneducated or were you mad because he nailed it?

10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I was just going to repost without adding anything, but figured I should so someone isn't confuzzled in the skull jello. I agree that sometimes the person that gets banned when an issue like the above arises is sometimes strange.

11. Unleash The Fury

So do you agree or disagree with him being banned for calling someone weak? (Assuming thats all he did that was "wrong")

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I'm saying that there are two sides to every story, and at this point, given his post history, I'm bound to believe pretty much anyone else's story. Someone who's calling the mods "liberal Nazis" isn't someone that's even remotely attempting to stay within the bounds of civil discourse, and if he wasn't banned for calling someone weak, he would have been banned for any of the other oceans of ban-worthy behavior he's spitting out constantly.

And I'd much rather see some short bans than deleted threads. Wasn't too happy to go to bed early and wake up with my thread deleted, not knowing where it derailed to while I was asleep (and after dropping some killer wordplay).

USMarine75 likes this.
  13. Unleash The Fury

Oh about that, i fired back with some even more clever wordplay. It was tasty as fuck too. But dont worry, i gave you props, because I left myself wide open for that. (i just left myself wide open for some adult commentary by saying that).

This thread needs to be locked away forever now. Then throw the key in the ocean.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ah sorry, afraid I didn't see it.

But yea, if all OT political threads wind up getting locked/deleted, then either the mods are going to get more power and the bans will be back, or the subforum's going to disappear. So people need to think about that when intentionally pushing buttons (like calling the mods names, wtf).

15. PunkBillCarson

Remind me of other ban worthy behavior that I spew constantly besides what I just posted about someone acting like liberal nazis? What would that be, having different opinions than others like yourself? I personally do not care what you yourself believe, what happened happened. But hey, since you'd rather go on assumption and judge my words simply based on conjecture without proof of all these banworthy offenses that you have not provided, I'm sure it won't bother you for me to carry the same opinion of you that originally got me banned. Grow up kiddo. While we're on the subject though, how about your personal digs at me and UtF in the Tax Bill thread? Pot and kettle, Mr. Kitty.

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  16. PunkBillCarson

Also I never called the mods liberal fucking nazis, I said they acted like liberal fucking nazis. Get it right. Narad acts like a child with his refusal to discuss without resorting to trolling. If he wants to keep acting like a child, he will henceforth be referred to as a child.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Dude, I've got better things to do on NYE than drudge through your post history, but in passing it's clear that most of your posts are needlessly aggressive. It's pretty clear that when people don't adopt your weirdo conspiracy beliefs you can't just let it go, but need to lash out and continue derailing.

Go for it. I'm objectively both educated and not a "poor white person of the Southern United States". But go for it -- I know you have the tendency to form strong beliefs in the absence of all contrary evidence.

Colloquially a nazi (as in things like "soup nazi" or here, "liberal nazi" -- i.e., things not pertaining to the actual Nazi party) is defined by behavior. There's no distinction.

Whatever dude -- it's going to be hard to refer to me as anything when you're banned.

USMarine75 likes this.
  18. PunkBillCarson

As if being banned bothers me? Like I've not got other places to discuss ideology and guitars? This website isn't something I depend on to live unlike you. I get banned, I go everywhere else I go and continue on my merry way. You get banned, someone's got to reassure you that you're not crazy so you don't have a heart attack. It's fine though. Once I'm gone, you'll still be as pathetic as you are now whether I'm here or not. There's something you can report me for. Have at it pretty boy.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well I don't, so if you've got other places, for the love of all that is holy, go there instead.

vilk and StevenC like this.
  20. PunkBillCarson

No I'm going to stay here and milk it. It pisses you off, my presence does. My very presence trolls you and so I'm going to be here and enjoy it. What's bad, I had nothing whatsoever against you until you made it personal. A good ribbing here and there in the tax thread but all in good fun I thought. You took it up a notch in something that didn't concern you and now I'm the bad guy. You're going go far kid. May end up as a mod on this site even.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.