Positive Grid.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Obscene, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

Hi guys,

For a while now i've been wanting to get Positive Grid Bias FX.

I am not quite sure how to get started though. From what i understand i need a USB audio interface (Line 6 pod Studio etc). But is Bias FX all i need? Cus i can see they also have a Bias Amp and so on.

Could someone guide me trough how to get this done? It'd be much helpful.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I have a POD Studio GX and run BIAS FX std edition (not the pro) and I'm very happy with it, for the price.
    Personally BIAS FX is the one to get, in my opinion, as this gets you a bunch of amp/cab models, in addition to a bunch of effects (OD's, boost, distortions, gates, modulation effects, delays, reverbs...). I am happy with the std edition because I only need a few amp models anyway and don't really need the extra effects and amps in the pro version.

BIAS Amp is cool but not necessary at all. If you are a tinkerer then BIAS Amp may be interesting (you get more/different amp models than FX and can change/modify the inner components of each amp) but if not, I'd just go straight to BIAS FX std or pro version, assuming you want a program/vst that is more of the 'whole package.'

3. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

Cool, thanks! So a POD, and bias fx, and i should be good to go?

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

5. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Focusrite has the best pre-amps in the biz, hands down.

If you're literally just going to play on headphones yes, the solo will work, but since you're in the realm of USB interfaces, I recommend you go just a little higher and set yourself up for some home-recording. The 2i2, 2i4 and 6i6 are all studio quality machines that you'll be able to record a bunch with, and unless you open up a recording studio, you'll probably never need to upgrade beyond the 6i6. If they get too pricey for you (the 6i6 is around $300), Steinberg also makes their own interfaces. The UR22 is a solid option and cost slightly less than the 2i2, but both are a 2 in 2 out interface. While the pre-amps in the UR22 are extremely good and will never let you down, the 2i2 is just a very, VERY, thin cut above the UR22.

6. AkiraSpectrum

Correct.

If you wanted a new interface that will work, but you shouldn't need to upgrade your POD Studio. I've heard the focusrite stuff (2nd generation models) are nicer though, but I have no experience with them.

7. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

I've finally got the Focusrite 2i2 with the BIAS FX. I do however have a slight delay / latency ish. Now, i haven't been able to plug in my headphones to the 2i2, all i have is a Razer Kraken headset (the cheap one). Would a better headset plugged directly into the Focusrite work a lot better?

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

You running ASIO4ALL?

Probably not your headphones...if not, try it and see if that works for you. I use it for everything....Axe, plugins, MIDI orchestral stuff; works great and no latency.

9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Set your buffer size from Focusrite's asio control panel to 64 or 128, latency should be barely audible then. Be sure that it's using Focusrite's own asio driver.

These are also heplful tips for minimizing latency:
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

And yes, some kind of studio headphones would work much better for guitar.

10. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

When i set the driver to "ASIO", and audio type to "Focusrite USB Audio" i get an error message saying, "Failed to open the audio device Focusrite USB Audio".

I am suspecting that it could be cus of the use of the computers own sound system (Monitor speakers, and -or the Razer headphones directly plugged into my PC).

11. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

Dumb question but can i plug my Orange cab into the Focusrite?

12. AkiraSpectrum

Are you running BIAS FX in your DAW or are you using 'standalone'? If you're using standalone, what is your OS, Windows? Some people have had issues running 64-bit standalone in Windows 8 & 10. You can try 32-bit OR do what I do, run the Bias FX VST 64-bit through IL Minihost Modular 64-bit. Works perfect for me running through my Line 6 POD Studio.

13. steinmetzify

Do you actually have the ASIO4ALL driver? I mean, have you downloaded it and what not?

Ran into some shit when I set a buddy up for recording a couple years ago......the fuckin Realtek crap that was his sound system would block ASIO4ALL because even though there's no latency or whatever, that driver will only run one sound source at a time, or something. It took us most of a day to figure out how to get that disabled and working with ASIO.

14. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

I have Windows 8.1, so that might be the problem?

Unless ASIO4ALL were part of the driver i downloaded when i followed the "set-up" guide, then no i haven't downloaded ASIO4ALL. I'll get to it when i get home from work.

steinmetzify likes this.
  15. steinmetzify

Right on, should solve your latency right there man. Report back and let us know.

16. Obscene

Obscene SS.org Regular

Short update. I bought a mini-jack to jack converter to be able to plug my headset directly into the Focusrite, and everything seems to work splendid. I do however get a bit fuzz (a clicky sound) when I strum. I still suspect my crappy headset, or perhaps a loose jack input on my guitar.

I still need to learn how to use Ableton, but I'll get around to that when i have time to dig in deep.

But a huge thanks to all whom have helped.

steinmetzify and AkiraSpectrum like this.