Popular Sweep-Picking Exercise: Isn't it more beneficial this way?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by JohnnyZ, Aug 7, 2017.

1. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Hello everybody,

I've started learning "Sweep-Picking" and I found this exercise in my Guitar-Book:
    [​IMG]

But - in my mind - it's way more economic, if you pick it this way, because you don't have to jump over the G-String:
    [​IMG]

Otherwise I'm pretty sure, that there is a benefit in the way the Author wrote, and played, it! I'm not a good guitarist, but the Author IS a great player and established teacher.

Long story short: I want to understand it. What do you think is the benefit of his Sweeping Style (red circles)? I could imagine that it puts more emphasis on the downbeat and so it makes it more easy to play in "the pocket"/ to get a good groove.

Thank you very much, guys!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Your way to play it results in an inside picking motion when changing from the G to b (2nd red circle). Most players feel more comfortable with outside picking.

JohnnyZ likes this.
  3. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

It's all preference. If you are asking the question, you are qualified to answer it.

I also prefer to start sweeps with an "inside upstroke" - especially if there are 2 notes on that string (not the case here). It really helps flow into the sweep.

JohnnyZ likes this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

With downward pick slanting, I'm not sure either way matters all that much. Pick what works for you.

5. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

The most natural way to play that kind of arpeggio is to begin with a downstroke. An upstroke in that context would result in a wider movement, which is not very efficient.

JohnnyZ likes this.
  6. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Thank you so much for the help, guys! I really appreciate every comment!

Sorry, my upstroke marks aren't correct: I would start with an downstroke and than go into "Insidepicking" (blue circles) to get the speed I try to reach. @Alternative-Perspective

I'm not sure about the definition of "downward pick slanting", is the original version (red circles) downward pickslanting?

Again: Thanks for the help! Looks like you have a great community on this site! :yesway:

7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Watch this.

8. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I'd be more comfortable playing the 1st example with the red circles. The less I have the work against the flow of gravity, the better

9. Dayn

Dayn silly person

There's literally no difference, only preference. You need to skip over a string both ways.
    • If you down pick, you need to skip over the G string before playing it with a down pick, then continue playing the B string with a down pick.
    • If you up pick, you play the G string, but to play the B string with a down pick you're going to have to skip over the G string anyway.
    As has been said, it depends on what you're most comfortable with. There's certainly an argument to be made that down picking it results in a more consistent sound especially as that note is on the downbeat. But I don't think it matters in any practical way.

10. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

The first time I start the lick I would play on a down stroke but everything after that I'd start on the upstroke. It's more fluid and personally, skipping over to start on a downstroke again would just feel odd. I actually learned to sweep up clean before I could even sweep down. My upstrokes are very fluid but when I sweep down I generally push my fingers in a circular motion (which works but many people dislike that technique).

All preference though. As long as you do it nice and neat.