Pop Metal Song

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by AustinW90, Apr 22, 2012.

1. AustinW90

AustinW90 SS.org Regular

http://soundcloud.com/austinw90/winning

Guitar Tone:
    Schecter C-7 with Bareknuckle Aftermath PU
    Axe-Fx: Recto Red amp, German Cab, Treb Boost overdrive

Bass:
    Spector Legend Classic
    Axe-Fx: SV Amp, 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, overdrive added in DAW

Superior Drummer

Ryan-ZenGtr- likes this.
  2. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

So it's a pop song with Metal tones...

Not too bad at all.

I reckon it'd be interesting to hear this with a classic Rock Marshall tone...

3. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

Good to know that you can get an awful tone even with and Axe FX and Bare Knuckle pickups.

4. KingAenarion

... and by that you what exactly?

Does the tone completely not suit the song?

Is the tone grating on the ears in a way that is so unpleasant and wrong that it makes you ill?

Don't be a tool dude, if you can't offer constructive criticism don't say anything at all.

5. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

While I agree with you that he wasn't being exactly friendly, I also agree with him that I'm not to crazy about he tone of the overall all song.

before stating my OPINION (and it is just that), I should say that the tone I like is a little more aggresive so to speak. I felt like the guitar tone was missing some "balls" like it might need just a tad bit more bass, and a little less mids, not much but just a little. and that the bass while having a good volume, I think it would sound better if you gave it a little dirt... think the bass at the beggining of "Sober" by Tool.

And once again, tone is all personal preference if you're happy with the way it sounds, fuck my opinion and everyone elses bro.

Nice mix though

6. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

What a way to rain on the parade, Acme...:noplease:

Nice sounds on you soundcloud, Austin. Slick playing and production throughout. Thanks for letting us listen! :yesway:

7. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

The tone is harsh, totally digital. A poor amp VST produces more lifelike tone than this. The guitar volume is too loud in the mix. It makes my ear ache. My previous comment was related to the fact that 90% of the people here seem to think that if they have a BKP and an AXE FX in their hand their tone turns into pure gold.

8. KingAenarion

If I was producing this recording I would be fine with this tone.

It wouldn't get in the way of the vocal or other instruments... and it isn't too aggressive.

No one gives a shit about tone in pop songs. It's about the hooks and the vocals...

The guitar tone in the song "Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus, which was a massive success sounds like a fucking distortion pedal straight into the desk. I've never heard anyone listen to that song and say "Oh the guitar tone is rubbish"... because only guitarists and audio/producers care about it.

This kind of tone suits the composition. It's a slick, overproduced style... and it's stylistic preference. I like this tone for the style and think it has a slightly unique character to it...

Of course it's all about preference and opinion...I think Periphery's (and most other Djent tone) is absolutely rubbish and lifeless half the time (the songs themselves are wonderful though). Perfect guitar tone for me is something like Tool's "Lateralus" which stays out of the way unless it's supposed to be taking the spotlight. I think in a song mixed well this tone would do just that.

The mix balance is wrong yes. However, my point still stands that if you can't provide constructive criticism then shut the hell up.

Austin, might I suggest dropping the guitar a few dB, bringing up the drums a bit. Also adjusting the EQ on the kick, as well as the compression settings. It feels a little "plastic like". The Clickiness feels EQ'd a bit low for that particular kick drum, and you want a punchier compression, so experiment with either really REALLY short attack times or slightly longer time (it depends on the compressor).

Also I'd try some parallel comp on the drums as well if you aren't already.

9. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

This is not a pop song, so comparing it to Wheatus has no point at all. Compare it to Devin's works instead, where the guitars are not in your face, however they stand in the mix perfectly.

10. AustinW90

AustinW90 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I'm no producer yet, still just figuring out mixing and writing one aspect at a time.

And in Acme's defense, I'm not crazy about the mix either and agree that it lacks life - but you gotta work on your communication skills, dude. No need to get all sore over some amateur song.

11. KingAenarion

Title of thread:

"Pop Metal Song" :cool:

Plenty of pop style Chord Progressions and riffs here.

Could have fooled me.

Also, I highly doubt Devin's saturated wall of sound style of production would work here...

12. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

might need grittier bass? is the song done? maybe you can add another guitar or a keyboard or something. overall not bad!