Poor sustain with high gain tone! Help cure me of the dumb!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sussman, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Sussman

Sussman sussman.

So basically I use a super high gain tone with the music I play (I play with a mesa dual rec, with an overdrive through my line 6 pod). So naturally I have a noise suppressor to dampen the hum, feedback, and general squealing that comes with that sort of tone. But I've noticed that I can't find a nice middle ground where I don't have excess noise but still a solid sustain. Also it's made tapping almost impossible for me because it cuts out the sound almost immediately after each tap.
    Anyhoo if you have any suggestions as to how I might fix that please by all means lay em on me! Thanks!

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I feel you. My dual rec has been messing with my ears lately.

What dual do you have and what are the amp settings? ie: vacuum or silicon diode - sponge or bold

3. desmondtencents

desmondtencents Plays With Wood!

A decent compressor will probably help a lot too.

4. cwhitey2

Tis true...but so can the flip of a switch ;)

5. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

try lowering your gain a bit. gain hits a spot where it's tight and good, but then anything beyond that actually works against the tone. It basically comes down to what amp you're using.

Also, keep in mind that the Mesa recto wants different eq settings than other amps. Try lowering your bass to 11 o clock, keep the mids around 12 and boost the treble a bit beyond 12.

6. Sussman

Sussman sussman.

Sweet!! Thanks guys! I'll try diddling the settings and a compressor just to be extra safe!
    And I'm currently rocking the solo head 100, vacuum tube, on bold, with EL 34s if that helps
    (Also I'm brand new to SS.ORG so I'm not sure how to quote or tag people, if that's even possible, so I apologize for not doing that)

7. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Where in the chain do you have the noise suppressor? Is it a Boss NS-2 suppressor? If so man, when i ran my 5150 i could run the gain on both an OD and the amp at max and still get dead quiet when need be. Of course i never used those settings haha, but just saying when setup right it was a real jewel. If it is an NS-2, feed the OD through the loop of the NS-2, not through the in/out of it.

8. cwhitey2

Very nice, i'm rocking a 2 channel with el34s as well...but I pulled 2 tubes to make her 50 watts. I'm running Bold and Silicon Diode with the channels set to rhythm and lead.

Rhythm - gain - 1 oclock - bass - 9 oclock - mids - 2 oclock - treb - 1 oclockish - pres at 3 oclock

lead - gain 12-1 oclock - bass - 0 - mids 2:30 - treb - 2:30 - pres - 3 .....this tone is ....ing heavy its unreal.

EDIT: I boost both..not all the time though

9. Sussman

Sussman sussman.

No I'm using the noise suppressor that's built in the pod (it's the hd 500 floor model btw) and I have it right at the end of the chain. I'm pretty sure I do have a an NS-2 kicking around, I just like using the pod for convenience purposes. Fewer cables and about a thousand times lighter than a full pedal board. You think that placing it somewhere else in the chain may make a difference though??

10. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Have different guitars/amps been tried for the sake of narrowing down the problem?

My first thought was to check pickup height.
    Even just lowering your action a small bit can put the strings too close for a good open sounding tone/sustain.

11. Pav

Pav ???

My NS-2 has always played very, very well with my recto(s). Try using that instead of your POD, I bet there is an immediate difference.

12. Lokasenna

Lokasenna SS.org Regular

When you say that it's at the "end" of your chain, do you mean that it's the last thing before the amp? If so, try putting at as close to the beginning as possible. This will let you turn the suppressor down quite a lot, since it only has to mute the dry guitar signal.

Also, just for fun, see if you can borrow an overdrive pedal from a friend and set your rig up without the POD at all. If you can get it to behave the way you want, it might be a setting or effect in the POD causing the problem.

13. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Its possible your action is too low and the notes are pinching out. Some metal players like the low action, but the velocity of the notes is lower which means the notes will die early.

If this is even a remote possibility, try raising your action to see if it does anything.

14. JeffHenneman

JeffHenneman SS.org Regular

What kind of pickups are you using

15. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

Sounds like tubes may be done??

16. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

So you have the POD in a 4CM set up (where it's both in front of and in the loop of the Recto)? If so, that could be introducing a lot of noise that you're having to compensate for with the noise gate. So you could be chasing your tail. It's tough to get all the levels right with the 4CM set ups.

If you can, try to borrow just an OD pedal and a noise gate pedal and see if suddenly you don't need to lean on the noise gate so much.

EDIT: oops, Lokasenna pretty much suggested this already.

17. 155

155 SS.org Regular

pod is the prob

18. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

have you checked to see if your pickups are set the right height?

19. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I couldn't get the POD to work well in 4cm. Tricky gain staging and extra noise.

20. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

Get a real noise gate.