Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Florida here, I now pokestop in the car. Gotta help my fiancé catch them all. It's her new life's goal.

2. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Aww man, that sucks! FWIW I ran for an Aerodactyl and had it despawn 1 block away because I got unlucky with lights. :rant:

Speaking of Gyarados, anyone who loves this game and visits NYC should consider making a trip to the Intrepid Museum. You'll get to see some cool battleships, and the pier is usually lured. I didn't even get into the best spot, but managed 150 Magikarp candy in 1 & 1/2 hours. You could literally knock out a Gyarados evolution in an afternoon and have time for sight-seeing. It's a real shame I just found this place and am moving in a few days. :lol:

3. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

So is anybody here still playing this? It's been almost a month since this thread was last updated. :eek::ugh:

New update with Buddy System seems great, but Niantic is asking for it big time for restricting access to users using rooted phones on Android. (Dunno what the situation is like for Apple users with jailbroken phones.) If this somehow wasn't a mistake, the pitchforks will be out.

4. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I haven't even opened the app in weeks. I totally lost interest when they did that sub-par update and killed 3rd party tracking.

5. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I still play, but I'm running out of things to do. I also moved to a less-populated area, making those remaining things harder. When I do talk about the game, it's mostly on dedicated forums (like r/TheSilphRoad) rather than on general discussion ones.

The buddy system is nice, but I don't think it's going to be a game-changer. Mobile games don't have a very long lifespan, and PoGo actually has above-average player retention rates. I just hope they get around to releasing the legendaries this winter.

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I open it up at work and when I walk for extended periods of time but that's about it. I don't care about gyms or battling, I just want to hatch/evolve/catch some cool Pokemon and that's about it. I will probably stop playing in the next month or 2. I just stopped caring. :shrug:

7. Alberto7

Huh, it really is going down in popularity very fast.

I do still play once or twice a week, and when I do, they're pretty intense sessions. But the only reason I still play when I do is because I made a really cool group of friends a while back by playing the game, and we all get along very well. Today we took the whole day off and went on a little road trip to Ottawa's Dick Bell Park, and had an absolute blast together.

However, honestly, the game itself really isn't much fun on its own anymore. I don't play by myself because it's boring. It's boiled down to finding cool, comfortable spots and just hanging out at those places. The "hunting" itself isn't even a thing anymore.

It's sad because the game now actually works pretty well, but the one thing that made this game what it was initially is long gone: the tracking system that made hunting possible.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Super off topic, but I've always thought that was a terrible name for a park. :lol:

9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's a shell of what it was supposed to be, but hey at least they made it stable.

10. Alberto7

^ :agreed:

I'd say about a quarter of every joke cracked yesterday while there had something to do with the name of the park. :lol: We even gave names to every one of the lured stops at the park based on their position on that little peninsula *cough*p3nis*cough* across from the sailing club.

Jokes aside though, it's a really nice place during the summer.

11. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I've been playing it pretty regularly. I know that in Milwaukee, the best spot in the entire city it's possible to catch all of the north american pokemon in one spot. In fact it's been so popular they had to have a special meeting about it to try and figure out how to not have so many people. I think the following will eventually be small and dedicated though, especially when they introduce trading and then gen 2 pokemon. What they also seem to be doing is changing what spawns, so theoretically if you play long enough it's likely you could get all of the pokemon. I mean they haven't even released legendaries yet! Yes it's down from the ridiculous numbers, but I'm willing to bet they are still making a ton of money on this. It's just more like Candy Crush or CLash of CLans than some huge cultural phenomenon. I just hope they bring back tracking to make the game fun again. Also I"m curious to see what winter does to players.