Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Yeah I agree that it sounds like that they are trying to bump the value by increasing in app purchases only to sell it off. Decreasing pokemon spawns and increasing number of balls needed to catch easy pokemon is a good way to do it. Have to spend money on pokeballs, incense and lures. Then they can sell it for like 2billion or whatever and be done with it. It makes complete sense from a business perspective since it doesn't matter if fewer people are playing it, if the ones that are keep pumping tons of money into it. If you aren't spending money on pokemon go, I"m betting Niantic doesn't care if you play or not.

The flip side of it, is that they had a huge chance to make this worth SOOOOO MUCHHHH MONNNEY and they screwed it up.

2. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I don't think that's correct. Niantic just announced that the catch/flee rate changes are a bug.

3. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Yesterday I worked from home so I took the time to pop a lucky egg and evolve all of my banked up Pokemon. I went from being just under level 16 to 80% of the way to level 19. Also hatched a couple of level 10 eggs earlier this week: an ~1100 Lapras with Blizzard and a ~870 Scyther with not the best moves, but I'm just glad I got him.

4. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

It was my first outing today playing Pokemon GO in quite a while. Had a ton of fun and made a couple of good friends, who seem to be very decent people.

We went to a new spawning area today and caught about a gazillion water type Pokemon. I can now evolve two Golducks, a Starmin, Seaking, and a Poliwhirl. I also hatched a Dratinig from a 10k egg, which gave me enough to candy to evolve and power-up an absolute beast of a Dratini that I caught later on in the day. All hail your new future Dragon Overlod. :scream:

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

AFter reading this, I'm curious; is anyone else slowly getting through the higher levels? Once you get to level 20 or so it becomes a lot harder to level up since the XP curve is so high. Based on xp you aren't halfway to level 30 until you reach level 27.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Wow, killer dratini.

Wondering if someone can provide a definitive answer for something I've been wondering: will a pokemon with max IVs also have max CP possible at your level after powering it up as much as possible? Basically, is max CP per level a stat derived from the IVs?

7. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I am also finding that leveling is slow now. I'm coming up on another Lucky Egg session, so there's that. Hopefully my soon-to-be Nidoqueen will get good moves.
    Correct. I don't remember the exact CP formula, but it factors in the species' base stats + IVs. Since IV values run 0-15 for every Pokemon, the somewhat counterintuitive conclusion is that they matter more for weak mons with lower stats.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Thanks - good to know. Anyone know of a good IV checker now that Poke Advisor is down? That site was fantastic.

9. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I'm on Android and I use PoGoIV app, which is not visible in the Play Store but can be downloaded for free here. There are also a number of other app options for both iOS and Android. If you want an online calc, you can use The Silph Road's IV Rater (go here and click the "IV Rater" tab), but some people have complained that it might overestimate %s. There's also the Pokédexcel if you prefer a spreadsheet format (I use this as a backup).

Also, NEW UPDATE! No major fixes, but a number of QoL things at least.

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Thanks again. It does seem a little off -- rated my only perfect IV kabuto as less than, so a bit worriesome. Finding perfect IVs and thinking, "alright, totally done with that species" was a lot of the fun of the game for me... really sucks now.

11. Alberto7

I find that the Silph Road IV calculator is the most accurate of them all. However, it is very prone to human error. You need to set the arc slider exactly right or otherwise your percentage might vary quite a bit. To make things more difficult, the arcs don't have the same exact same shape in the game vs. in the calculator. The game's CP arc is flatter more elliptical, whereas I find the online calculator's is completely round, which makes finding the equivalent position quite hard. Seeing the amount of stardust and candy you need to power up is useful, but sometimes the range of levels that said amounts cover is relatively large. It took me time to get used to the arc, and I still make mistakes sometimes.

I usually go to Poke Assistant, where they give you a range of possible IVs, and then I cross-check with Silph Road stuff, which I then, finally, double or triple check.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You're hardcore!

13. Alberto7

^ Nah, I'm just pedantic. :lol:

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

15. Alberto7

16. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Just did another mass-evolve last night. Got the best overall moveset for Tentacruel + Nidoqueen and the best defensive Vaporeon set. I'm having incredible luck with final evo moves so far.

17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

pogobag.me is pretty good if you want to save yourself the guesswork (for now).

18. Alberto7

^ Haven't checked that one out. I was using Pokestop.ca today and it was useful. It's based on user input though. (As I assume all of them are nowadays.)
    EDIT: just saw pogobag.me. My bad, it's not a radar, but an IV calculator. :lol: I've been using GoIV. It has been taken down from the Play Store apparently, but the apk is still floating around. Very clever and very simple little app. It screen-caps your screen and uses the data that's on it, calculates the IVs, and then overlays the information on top of the Pokemon GO app.

Also, I played at length today and had a good chance to test out the new update. I'm really liking it so far. They've solved most of the issues I had with the game. I didn't run into any bugs of any sort, the Pokemon escape rate and their aggressiveness have been toned WAY down, (I was at a spot with 5 constantly lured PokeStops - at least 3 in range constantly - and I maintained my Pokeballs at a steady amount despite catching a lot of Pokemon) and it looks and feels much smoother than before. The tracking system is still barely there, but at least the Sightings box updates much more frequently now to show you what's closest to you, and the new 3rd party tracking systems work decently well. Not Pokevision well, but close enough. I'm happy with the app again, though I still feel like a total loser when I join the massive crowds running toward an Arcanine or an Aerodactyl. :rofl:

19. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

Man, I pity the Southerners who are playing this right now. The mid-Atlantic heat has seriously curtailed my wandering. :evil:

20. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Aw man, I was just walking home through Regents Park with a friend with pokemon go open to track the mileage when I saw a shadow I didn't even think was possible to see in the wild. Confirmed with my friend (who has at least played Pokemon red): gyarados!

I did about 2 minutes of walking towards the water in case it was there, but when it didn't surface I popped open a pokeradar type app which placed it on the opposite bank with 2~ minutes to despawn. I was really torn - I think it would have been doable with about a 90 second all out sprint, but I'd have to push through a lot of tourists and families, and I wasn't sure if they would despawn once the timer ran out even if you had already engaged them (just run away the instant the timer runs down?) Quite frustrating, but I console myself with the thought that it probably had crap IVs and I'll be sure to get better ones by evolving it.