Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

It's not just nests that have changed. They adjusted damage values on a lot of moves. The implications are too many to list here, but it looks like the Vaporeon hegemony might come to an end. Here's a nifty page summarizing (among many things) the best moves in general, though obviously STAB is very important now as well.

2. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

This game is goddamn broken and Niantic are being so unresponsive, that there go the $30 I was planning on spending on PokeCoins. Seriously, they need to get their sh*t together. Change of nests, (or their elimination altogether, in the case of some Pokemon *cough*Dratini*cough*) no tracking, Pokemon are harder to catch, and Pokemon randomly turning into other Pokemon after you catch them? No, thank you.

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

They also did a cease and desist with Pokevision, which was the only viable alternative for reasonable tracking with the in-game tracker broken. So they not only remove it completely, but got rid of the alternatives. I waste a ton of pokeballs now. I spent 10 bucks a week ago, as my bag was full, but I had no pokeballs so I needed expanded storage. I might have wasted my money if the app dies due to drop in interest with everything that has been happening.

Worst news is magikarp don't spawn as frequently near me anymore and I still need like 100 more before I can get a gyarados. :lol:

We'll see how things go I guess. I don't play every day anyhow.

4. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I stopped playing when I hit level 7 because it just seemed really pointless to me. I have a DS, so I just end up playing alpha sapphire when I want to play Pokemon. With all the crazy glitches and bugs people are talking about it just didn't seem worth it to continue. Plus, the battery drain is miserable. My iPhone 6 Plus can go like, 8+ hours. Literally lasts about an hour when playing Go :lol:

5. Alberto7

^ That sucks big time that you poured money into the game and got an expandable bag... I mean, it'll never be full now that we can never have Pokeballs. It never happened to me before, but I am now at 2 Ultra Balls, 10 Great Balls, and ~50 Poke Balls. Before the update I always had at least 100 Poke Balls, 70-something Great Balls, and always had 40-50 Ultras.

I still play frequently but because I go out on Poke-walks with friends, which is fun one way or another, but ever since the update I get very frustrated with the game very frequently.

The Magikarp spawn spot here in Montreal also disappeared, and I never went before they took it away... :( now I only have one 40 CP Magikarp and 15 Magikarp candy.

Also, apparently a Team Mystic user somewhere got an Articuno gifted by Niantic for no apparent reason... or so they claim. The screenshots and videos (despite the latter being potato quality) give the claim *some* credibility. We'll see.

EDIT:

Yeah, today I pulled out my copy of Pokemon Y and began searching for and leveling up all the Pokemon I wish I had in Pokemon GO. :lol: If it weren't for the social and get-off-my-ass aspect of GO, I don't think I'd be playing it much anymore, if at all. I haven't spent money in the game yet, though I did buy a 20,000 mAh powerbank pretty much just for this game. I wanted one anyway, but this game was what made me spend $40 on one, and $15 on a phone case, which I didn't have.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well it was only 10 dollars and relevant at the time. I won't lose sleep over it if the game dies out. :lol:

7. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I've been using Smart Poke v2 (Android only as of now) and it's working well for tracking local mons. PokeTrail also looks good but AFAIK isn't ready yet. I'd love to post links, but...I'm sure you get why I don't. :squint: Though I really appreciate the balance changes, the combination of glitches with the myopic C&D business has me down as well. I'm glad I held off on in-game purchases.

EDIT: Niantic speaks on the recent changes!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  8. Alberto7

^ Well, that wasn't much, now, was it? :lol::rant: That was basically "Nope, you're right, you can't track Pokemon. And nope, we won't allow others to provide you with alternatives. You're sh*t out of luck. Oh, but we REALLY care about delivering our sub-par product to Brazil."

I've been giving Niantic the benefit of the doubt up until now, but the recent glitch where Pokemon are switched around after they're caught is making it seem like they do not have things under control, at all. They should have released this game once it was ready to be released. Hell, even the Pokemon GO Plus device was delayed all the way to September. Thankfully for them, it's technically a free game and there isn't much we can do about it when it is advertised and delivered as such. (Even if there are optional in-game purchases.)

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I wouldn't be surprised if these tracking alternatives are putting extra strain on the games servers, which isn't making life easier for the people maintaining them. I'd rather a game that's harder to play, than one that's technically easier but with servers that don't work half the time.

"Ready to be released" is not a simple thing to define. It's not realistic to expect any piece of software to be without flaws/bugs both in implementation and in design/concept regardless of how far along it is in development- someone has to make the decision as to what level of "readiness" is acceptable, and someone will always disagree with that decision.

10. Alberto7

You are actually correct. The trackers were indeed putting more strain on the servers, as admitted by the people behind Pokevision, and it's the reason behind having had to wait 30 seconds between scans. The problem is that not having a tracker doesn't really make it harder to play, but frustrating and borderline impossible. It would be okay if we had more variety of spawns, but when 95% of everything that pops up are Pidgeys, Rattatas, Drowzees, and Zubats, you kind of don't want to aimlessly walk around in the off-chance that you MAYBE bump into something interesting. This is especially true when the game requires us to have the app turned on at all times. If at least we were able to walk around while doing other things and have our phones let us know that we've bumped into something interesting so that we can THEN open the app to catch it, it would be a lot less frustrating.

My other, perhaps more serious, problem is that Niantic has refused to tell us whether or not we will ever see the in-game tracking system back (which, by the way, I thought was fantastic and more fun than Pokevision) and have decided to leave us floating in limbo.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly, but I just don't think it excuses Niantic for having put out a flawed app and, more importantly, for having kept so silent about the issues. I think it's very widely acknowledged that this game has had crippling issues since it first launched. The kind and amount of bugs and glitches we're seeing are such that I highly doubt the devs were oblivious to them. The kind that, if you know about them, would make your app not ready to be launched. Even Ingress (which shares a lot of code and data with PoGO) and the Field Test for the app were reporting a few glitches here and there, and back then it didn't have the kind of traffic it has now. It tells me that the developers simply didn't set the bar very high when the app launched and just rushed the game out.

I can concede them the fact that they never expected so much traffic in the first place... even if I found it pretty obvious that this game was gonna be huge since it was first announced. But I don't think traffic alone can account for all of the issues the game has been having.

I know doing a massive roll-out for a game that has had such a huge and immediate impact can't be an easy thing. So I can at least understand why the game has issues. I've been fine with that up until now. What has tipped me over the edge and made me change my mindset is just how utterly unresponsive Niantic have been about the issues the game has, particularly the more recent ones. I get that they're a small studio, but sparing a minute or two to write a Tweet or a short statement will not hurt their progress in trying to fix the game. Heck, with the income they've been making, I can't see why they couldn't hire a PR person. Just one would be enough. And the fact that when they do decide to make a statement, they just state what everybody already knows.

Conversely, however... one could argue that the app was totally ready to be released simply given the amount of people that keep playing it (myself included) and amount of money it has made, regardless of how people actually feel about the app. It is a working game, just not a smooth experience at all.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be fair, the game is not quite the disaster you've painted. :lol: The game is playable, relatively stable at the moment, and does what it claims it does. Sure, the tracking is a bit frustrating right now, but that's not the only way to play the game. There's nothing wrong with taking the game a bit more casually and just catching things as you wander, or go about walks you might have been taking anyway. Or, if the tracking thing is that bothersome, just don't play the game until they've put it back in. That one feature doesn't have to be the entire focus of the game.

Realistically, we're talking about a free-to-play game. If this was a $70 boxed game online-only that suddenly shut down their servers with zero communication, we'd have something to complain about. But we literally paid nothing for it, it got us outside for a bit, got us a bit of exercise and social activity, and it does still work- if we've run out of patience or ways to have fun with it, then just move on for now, and come back to it once it's been improved.

And yeah, I understand the communication bit. Yes, they need to work on their communication skills. But at the same time, we don't know what discussions are going on behind closed doors- maybe it's not as easy or simple as just sending a tweet and hoping for the best.

12. Alberto7

Apologies for the colorful language. :lol: I do tend to get carried away. However, I do stand by what I said: it is a working and playable game, but it isn't smooth.

But yeah, I suppose that is my, and a lot of other people's, issue. We've been taking it perhaps a bit more seriously than we should. I actually had this discussion yesterday with a friend who is equally frustrated about the game: the one about it being a free app and thus not having a right to complain. It's kind of a yes-and-no there for me, as there are displeased people who have already spent quite a bit on in-game purchases. Thankfully, that hasn't been me yet.

You do make good points though, and at the end of the day, it's true that I am simply b*tching about it. Perhaps if I played it a bit less I'd chill out more and just let it run its course. :rolleyes:

13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

As someone who has worked on some games, and been on the other side of some of the backlash that just seems to come with games development as a whole- there's definitely a point to be made that sometimes we take the media we consume waaaaaaay too seriously. Enthusiasm is great, but we sometimes forget there's real people behind this stuff.

14. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

I've been rage free since launch. I legit just walk around and catch whatever pops up. I don't stress about cp, pokemon rarity, or what anyone else is up to. Just a fun little time sink for me and the wife.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ I've been going for walks at the end of my day as a sort of health thing, before the game was a thing. The game has served as some added entertainment during that time. :yesway:

16. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Same. I just want to catch cool-áss pokémon, I don't care about attacks, what gym is the biggest or whatever :lol:

17. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

yeah, Pokemon go is a free app and it owes us nothing. I think the people getting upset are a just a very vocal and small minority.

18. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

Idk, I was playing every day before the update and Niantic totally killed my interest in the game. For one, I don't think it's cool that they keep ninja patching the game and making big changes without saying anything. Second, the fact that tracking wasn't working was already super lame, but Niantic trying to shut down the only alternatives to an intended game feature that they have now removed entirely is hyper weak. Pokemon are harder to catch now as well, with even 10cp trash jumping out of a bunch of balls. Aside from that there are still TONS of bugs.

Honestly, it feels like Niantic is just phoning it in until somebody offers to buy their share of the game. And failing that they'll just make us need so many more balls that the game becomes practically unplayable without spending money (getting balls from stops doesn't even come close to giving you enough, especially now).

19. Maybrick

Maybrick SS.org Regular

I've stopped playing a huge amount over the last week. Since release I played it non stop like a vast majority of people but now I think I've partly lost a bit of interest in it (maybe the hype has worn off a little for me) but also I absolutely burned myself out the weekend before last so maybe its just that I'm having a break?

I still play it with my gf when we go out for a wander, just not so obsessively haha.

20. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

I went an eternity without seeing a single Kabuto, but last night I snagged a 709 CP Kabutops with great moves + IVs. I could hardly believe it. Moments like that one are what keep me playing through all the silliness.

EDIT: check out this video on how to track w/o steps

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016