Pokemon Go

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jul 8, 2016.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Did a search on here and using Google, couldn't find a thread about this. It just came out yesterday, and I downloaded it today because why not? It's free. The concept is cool, the execution is a tad bit wonky but I appreciate the idea. Basically it uses your location and as you walk around in the real world you encounter different types of Pokemon based on your real-world environment. So if you're on the beach or by water, you'll find water types. If you're in grassy or wooded areas, you'll find grass/normal/flying types, and so on and so forth.

I've only played it for like twenty minutes when I went to take my dog on a walk around my apartment complex and I caught a rattatta and a pidgeotto :lol:

Hardly a substitute for the actual handheld game but the idea is interesting. Now I just gotta go inside my closest power plant and find a Zapdos hahahaha

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I still can't get on it :(

3. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

^ Just keep trying, mine kept telling me the servers were down until it eventually let me log on.

I started playing this morning and chose Charmander to be my starter, as I always did in my youth, and went exploring around my neighborhood for a bit.

On my first day of Pokemon Go I caught: Doduo, Vulpix, Sandshrew, Pinsir, Mankey, Geodude, Graveler, and Ekans. I also got an egg, which is super close to hatching. I'm about to take a midnight stroll to a nearby pokestop and see what this egg hatches into.

4. QuantumCybin

Nice, dude. I've caught a few more tonight, a Paras, a Pidgey, an Eevee, and I also chose Charmander as my starter because of childhood nostalgia :lol: there's really not too many of those pokestops near my current complex but I'm moving in a couple weeks downtown where it's much busier so it'll be interesting to see how many pokestops there are.

I could see how over time as they improve it and add battling friends and stuff this could last for a while. I googled a tutorial because they don't really do a good job explaining things like pokestops, eggs/incubators, but it's really not that bad, maybe I'm just lazy lol.

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So, I've only heard people talking about Gen 1 Pokemon so far in this game. Is it only original 151? Because that'd be pretty lame.

6. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I went out and owned my neighborhood last night. I took over a gym and beat down the local youth. Got over 30 pokemon. My Eevee named beercan is a monster.

7. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I gotta say, the app (or the version I'm running) is a buggy mess.

That said it's a fun diversion. I'm just a little salty that I've got a dozen PokeStops and a Gym right by my office... just slightly out of range.

Also there's nearly NOTHING by my house. One PokeStop about a ten minute walk away. Been reading some reports of people who have gyms literally on top of their homes, I'm a little jelly.

8. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Only gen 1 but I heard e3 rumors that they'll bring more in time.

9. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I can see Survival of the Fittest taking effect here when a .... ton of people get ran over at an intersection for not paying attention.

10. QuantumCybin

^ literally was just texting a friend of mine about how I'm just waiting for a news story about someone getting hit by a car because they were too busy looking at Pokemon on their phone :lol:

11. FEcorvus

FEcorvus SS.org Regular

they said they have no intentions of ever adding battling against people

12. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

The amount jokes and memes popping up on social media is baffling. And pretty funny. Still haven't been able to play...

13. sezna

sezna undermotivated

:(

14. QuantumCybin

Any proof for that? That seems pretty insane if they at some point they don't add that in. This game has already made an assload of money in just a couple days. It'll get stale if they don't improve it somehow!

15. benny

benny SS.org Regular

I've been playing since a little before the official release. No Pokémon ever spawn near my house, but I do have a few Pokéstops nearby along with a gym. Near my job is a gym and a few Pokéstops too.

The servers are definitely getting slammed hard as the game has been up and down since I started.

16. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Any word on when the servers will stabilize?

17. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I got on it today during my morning run (to anyone thinking of doing this, don't. It severely interrupts your running. Seems like it could be really fun when it's running properly

18. QuantumCybin

A 19 year old girl found a corpse in a body of water because she was playing Pokemon Go :ugh: definitely would ruin the game for me :lol:

Teenage Girl Finds Body In River Playing Pokemon Go

On the other hand, my dog was totally gonna rip that Caterpie's intestines out and then re-string my guitar with it, but I had to stop him.

[​IMG]

19. Pav

Pav ???

^ My goodness, this app is already breaking down the fourth wall unlike anything else.

What device are you running it on? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S5 and have yet to encounter a single hitch. :shrug:

I downloaded it about two hours after release. My girlfriend demanded I do so because her phone can't run it. Within 10 minutes she was walking into trees and tripping over things. :lol:

20. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

S7 Edge.

That said, being in Canada, I'm not exactly running the App Store version. >.>

Issues tend to include glitchy GPS (which I've heard is common) and all-of-a-sudden losing any ability to interect (move camera or press the buttons) until I force close and restart the app. And, of course, the server that goes down more than OP's Mom.

Also I gotta throw this in the thread:

[​IMG]