Point and Shoot cameras

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by eddygdk, Mar 4, 2014.

1. eddygdk

eddygdk SS.org Regular

I shoot with a nikon D7100 and its kind of hard to take my camera with me everywhere i go. Im trying to find a good reliable point and shoot camera. Any recommendations?

2. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

What's your budget?

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

^That.

You could go anything from £100 doesn't-matter point and shoot to something like a Canon G16 to the Fuji X100, whereabouts are we looking?

4. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Also do you want zoom or prime lens? Absent any further information, my first thought is usually the RX100 if you've got the money for it.

5. eddygdk

eddygdk SS.org Regular

my budget is about $500 and i'd prefer a prime lens but i can go either way

6. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I'm not sure what prime P&S's are in that price range. My first reaction would be to get the biggest sensor you can for $500. I'm think you can get used Fuji X100's for that price, and they have a firmware update that brings them close to the performance of the X100s.

Back when my fiancé was looking for a decent camera, she was looking at mirrorlesses (ended up with a Rebel SL1, but that's neither here nor there). I went out with her a couple times to check them out. I didn't like the Sony's in general - despite the bigger sensors, they felt like expensive point and shoots to me. It's fine if you want a P&S that will take better-looking pictures, but any manual modes are a nightmare to work with. I mean like multiple menu selections just to adjust aperture, shutter, or ISO. Only the more expensive ones had viewfinders, and I thought they were laggy and jittery. And it worries me how Sony seems to be constantly axing and releasing systems.

Sorry, that turned into a huge Sony hate post. :lol:

By far my favourite mirrorless/P&S I tried was the Fuji X20. It was the perfect combination of portable but still solid, and it's still got a larger sensor than most compacts, even if it's not APS-C. IIRC it's just a bit smaller than m4/3. It was one of the compacts that seemed more geared toward non-auto use, too.

7. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

If you can stretch your budget (or buy used) I strongly recommend the Ricoh GR. It has the same APS-C sensor as a D7000 or Pentax K5IIs in a pocketable body. It has a 28mm FF equivalent lens and it's sharp as a tack. Also has a constant 2.8 aperture.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

9. eddygdk

eddygdk SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I'm looking at getting a used Fuji x100 or the Ricoh GR
    :cheers: