Podx3 tone help!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by onpalehorse, Sep 12, 2010.

1. onpalehorse

onpalehorse Banned

So my friend just got the pod x3 and we're trying to find a good tone for recording a heavy gated bulb/chimp spanner type tone. We're recording straight pod to usb port with no other audio interface, does the audio interface (i.e. m-audio profire 610) really make the difference when it comes to having great guitar tracks or does it have a lot to do with mastering and using plug ins, any help is appreciated and any vst's used to beef up guitars and make heavy guitar tracks let me know i am open to all suggestions

thanks in advance!

2. onpalehorse

onpalehorse Banned

3. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

No.

Podxt is already an interface. But it might not be as good as other ones in the realm of delay regarding playback. This could cost you if you are tracking with 4+ tracks + VST drums, + VST programs.

I have a toneport DI and it lags as hell. But I'm still investigating if this is due to Windows 7 being a bitch.

4. Slampop

Slampop Artist: Idoler

dude, it's all post processing and eq with the POD unfortunately, and going into a different interface with decent preamps won't make that "special" difference you will be looking for "tonewise," though i highly recommend you use one anyway. :yesway:

5. onpalehorse

onpalehorse Banned

yeah we are running vst drums, i've been using cubase to record for just a little and im still not really familiar with all the plug ins and post processing stuff it has to offer, if any of you guys have from experience can you get what you want out of what cubase has or do you find yourself downloading other plug ins specifically for your guitar tracks

6. manana

manana SS.org Regular

I dont see how the interface makes any difference lag wise. I use more than 10 tracks plus superior drummer using 3+gb by itself and about 4-10 vsts on every track and i have 10ms lag with aiso. The only thing is the podx3 may not have the best A/D converter, best parts etc.

7. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

Cubase is a fine for recording and mixing, you're probably gonna have to d/l some good plug-ins though. Waves has some of the best you can get and you can also visit the forum GuitarAmpModeling.com and they have some great links to free VST plugins. Really all you should need for your guitars is a good compressor and a some parametric EQ.

8. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Damn, where the fuck have you been? :lol:

9. String7th

String7th SS.org Regular

Still the difference in A/D conversion between a Line 6 interface and a $600 interface is almost nothing. You will start to get better quality A/D conversion in the $1200 per channel Lynx or Apogee A/D/A. Even then it's a 1-2% improvement in the whole chain.

Your computer's specs will determine latency, the Pod by itself is fast enough, but the computer could be struggling. Pod or Profire, there's no significant audio quality difference.

I suggest record dry tracks with the pod and use Pod Farm for your tone. That way you can adjust afterwards to try different things.