POD X3 question/concern

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by habicore_5150, Nov 5, 2010.

1. habicore_5150

habicore_5150 El Psy Congroove

ok, since i know that the POD X3 has plenty of different distortions, mods, eq's and such, im only concerned about the distortions (in this case, overdrives) and noise gates

since im still on the hunt for things to "fix" my 5150, one of the things i was wanting to get is a POD X3 (aiming towards a Live, but an original wouldn't hurt much), would using the distortion/gate mods be any different from using individual pedals? (detailed example coming up)

POD X3 (Screamer w/ noise gate) -> 5150 MK1 blk

- or -

TS808 w/ NS2 (dunno if they're close examples) -> 5150 MK1 blk

2. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I'd go for the X3 Live (or one of the HD's) over the TS808+NS2.

If you use it in 4-cable mode, the noise gate on the Pod will be superior, the Pod's Tube Screamer simulation is good enough, you'll have additional EQ and effects available, you can bypass the 5150's preamp in favor of the Pod's on a per-setting basis for more flexibility if you need it, plus you can set up your patches for easier switching.

A TS808 might sound a little better than the Pod, but IMO, the Pod's parametric EQ more than makes up for it. If you pay $150 for a TS808 and $100 for an NS2, you're already getting pretty close to what a used X3 Live would cost you.

3. cow 7 sig

cow 7 sig AU director / RHLC ©

well,if it helps this is how i run my X3L with my mesa dual,in 4 cable method.
    no other stomps used/needed.with 4cm the tube screamer sim on the X3L is placed before the amp(as would be the case with a real stomp)and the added benefit of being able to place FX before or after the actual amp.as long as your amp has a loop its easy and the only other pedal i have on my board is my digi whammy and channel switcher for the amp.

4. habicore_5150

would i consider $320 USD for an X3 Live "close" enough? i mean getting one brand new would be about $500 or so

5. cow 7 sig

cow 7 sig AU director / RHLC ©

the X3L will do what your after and a whole lot more.if you can pick up a second hand one for a good price,do it.

6. habicore_5150

alrighty, planning on meeting this guy about 30 miles out of town to get the pedal sometime tomorrow, if this goes thru, might as well open up a NPD thread