POD HD500X vs old Axe FX Ultra

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by AxiomXIII, Aug 28, 2017.

1. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

Currently owning an pod HD 500x (bought 2 months ago) which Im kinda happy with (still need to learn how to tweak tones correctly) but had higher hopes at first getting more crisp tones quick even with custom Tone.
    Bought it Used for 300€. Now I was browsing eBay for Fun and found an used AxeFx Ultra for 720€.
    I was kinda thinking about selling the POD again and buying the AxeFx but would it really be worth the effort and extra 400€?
    Genres I play are Deathcore, Brutal death Metal, Metalcore, some djent for needed tones

Thanks!

2. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

The POD HD500x is utter garbage. Go Fractal. You won't regret it.

Elric likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

What sort of poweramp and speakers are you using?

In my opinion, line 6's Achilles heel has always been its cab modeling. They sound loads better with a good guitar cab.

As well as that, a good poweramp will help a lot. I recently ran podfarm (pod XT and x3 models) into my Fryette 2/50/2 and it was really easy to get legit chunky metal tones, where it was always a battle using a cheap poweramp or using studio monitors and line 6's cab models.

4. Hogie34

Hogie34 SS.org Regular

For me, There's no comparison. I bought the HD500x pro first and within a month I moved on to the Ultra.
    The Ultra has better amp sims, better cab sims and is easier to get a better sound with. You won't be disappointed buying the Ultra and that price is where they are hovering on Reverb and eBay so it's pretty fair.
    You'll get most of your money back on the Pod if you sell it too.

Elric likes this.
  5. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

Im Using JBL LSR 305 Monitors directly connected to the POD via XLR

6. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Sounds like you're just home jamming (those are studio monitors). I don't know if I'd buy ANY hardware modeler with the wealth of great VST sims out there, but if I did...I wouldn't bother with the Ultra. I don't like needing an interface to record, MIDI cable for uploading new IRs, all of the different Fractal software suites you have to use for editing, cab management/uploading and more....it's too modular for my tastes.

There are plenty of artists who use the Pod HD stuff for ripping tones (My current favorite is Archspire. It's their live and studio rig, but live they use a Mesa tube poweramp and cab), but if it's not working for you...no need to keep it. If you need an inexpensive hardware modeler, try switching to the Helix LT (Technically, $1000, but you can find them used for less or negotiate discounts from most major US retailers) or the new Amplifire Box ($299).

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup

I'd at least read through this guide before buying the Fractal. It helped me when I had a 500x immensely, as I'd never used modeling before.

I'd bet the Ultra is a much better unit overall, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need all that it can do. The built in interface is a nice feature on the 500x and when I got one maybe 4 years ago, or whenever they came out, I was able to get some pretty good sounds out of it. I only used it for headphone practice, and quick riff ideas into my DAW and it was awesome for that, I thought.

I did move onto a Kemper after about 6 months with it and have been way happier overall as it is good enough for our legit recordings and live use, plus every thing I used the 500x for, minus the interface. So you may be to that point and ready for the Fractal.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  8. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Have owned both and totally agree.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

This site is a lot of help. Using the global EQ that is basically the same as in the X3 is also very good for getting rid of some fizz, but getting back some high end cut. I can't remember the exact setting, but it basically meant taking the high range of the 4 offered, and scooping it all the way down, then raising the upper mid option as well as boosting it until you get some midrange/high end definition back. I learned it from someone on YouTube who posts a lot of videos for patches he sells. Glenn DeLaune, I believe his name is.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Yeah this is essential with all modeling/profiles IMO. You're basically using whatever is available to try to notch filter the nasty stuff and place a small boosted high shelf over the cuts to make up some of the loss of high end. Simple to do once you're familiar with the functions and it always makes such a pleasant difference.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Go to about 4:05 in this video to see DeLaune's "anti fizz trick." I misspoke about the upper mids, but you can raise them a bit and choose the frequency to dial it in a little bit more. Also, you may not have to turn the knob all the way down. Turning it to -8.0db or so might be enough. Just experiment with it. Also, I agree... the cab sims on Pods have always been shit, and sound loads better when you use a great cab IR in a DAW. I found a plugin for Reaper when I used this that simulated a good poweramp, which I think also added a little something that the amp sims were missing without it.

12. Spaced Out Ace

I agree. It gets repetitive adding that anti fizz EQ to everything on the X3-Live, which I used to have, but it was great when they got that on the Pod HD500, and it was global. Did it once and that was the end of it. Then again, I didn't have the HD500 too long after that so... yeah. I had to sell it because I needed to go see the doctor and buy meds, if memory serves.

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I really really have not used my X3 Live much yet. I really must.
    I have the Monuments album tones that would probably make great band practice tones \m/

14. Alternative-Perspective

Alternative-Perspective SS.org Regular

Meh, you can get a better tone using Amplitube or Guitar rig.

The POD sounds too digital for my taste.

15. Spaced Out Ace

I agree, but if the OP gets the Pod, I was just giving him some tips to make it sound better.

16. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I had a HD500 and got an Axe Standard years ago. I could get good tones out of the HD500, but I always felt like I was messing with it. I was always trying to dial out the mush and fizz. However, I did have some very good sounds. When I got the Axe Standard, it was definitely better, but more importantly, it sounded good as-is. It didn't take near as much tweaking to sound good. I felt like I was dialing it to get different sounds, instead of dialing it to get a decent sound.

Of course, I got an Axe-FX II a few years later, and it sounded better than both. I still have my Axe-FX II, even 4-5 years later.

17. mnemonic

There are things I think line 6 gear can do better than fractal, mostly just that ultra-tight, artificial-sounding big bottom distortion (think tesseract, fellsilent, vildhjarta). Try as I might, I can't really get a tone to sound that 'unreal' in the axe fx. I can get legit metal tones and I can kinda get close, but not quite there. Load up podfarm or even the helix demo, boom, it's there.

For everything else though, my axe fx II sounds better. I've never tried a standard or ultra though.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

agreed completely.
    Another thing I was just shocked to discover yesterday is how essential EMG 81 is to most of the tones from those bands (even if they dont all use them if that makes sense)
    I have John Brownes tones loaded in my X3 live as of yesterday. I tried these before ages ago with a guitar that didnt have EMGs and thought they were completely underwhelming and didnt actually sound like his tone from the Monuments albums (which is weird because these are what he DID use to track the whole album)

Set up the X3 yesterday for the first time in ages using my 81 equipped super shred Yamaha tuned to dtop G# and BOOM. Instant John Browne Monuments tones. So pickups clearly play a huge part in nailing that Line 6 metal tone too imo.

mnemonic likes this.
  19. mnemonic

EMG 81 is kinda like a cheat code for tight aggressive metal tones haha

Elric and lewis like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha completely true. Its why I love them now. I cant believe I took this long to even try them out because of some stupid principle of "I dont want batteries in my guitar"

Im a massive EMG fanboy these days (or probably just Active pickups in general tbh. I love the sound demos of the Duncan Emty Blackout for example - I just much prefer EMGs solderless/quick connect stuff and their low low low prices compared to other companies)