Pod hd500x noob

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by a curry, Jan 19, 2015.

1. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

Ok so I picked up a pod hd500x the other day and I'm running through a peavey 6505+ w/ genz benz g flex 2x12. I have it hooked up the two wire way instead of the 4 wire because it sounds like shit, everything is muffled when using any gain channels. My question is, is there a way to run the pod through my preamp for cleans and run it out front for my gain channel? I ask this because my clean channel sounds like shit when its hooked up the two wire way but sounds amazing the 4 wire way. My gain channel sounds killer the two wire way but when I try to make a gain channel the 4 wire way it sounds absolutely terrible they all sound thin, boomy, and fake. basically sounds like dog shit.

Also how come all these videos I watch of the pods, axe fx, and kempers there distortion channels sound massive and mouth watering? Am I doing something wrong or missing something? I had such high hopes but Im feeling very underwhelmed.

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Wow, i had the exact same probelm as you, except with POd HD Pro and original 5150 amp. I was trying to do the exact same thing as you, but could never get everything noise/tone suck free, no matter what i tried, which was alot. I definitely hear you on the distortion channel sounding really bad using 4cm with the Pod.

The first solution I tried that actually worked well was to use the pod as a second rig, with it's own power amp and cab, and use an A/B switch to switch between the peavey for rhythm/lead, and the Pod for cleans and FX tones. That actually worked really well - nice tones and no tone sucking, but it was a bitch to carry around two rigs and set up. Using a stereo cab helped, since it's basically 2 cabs in 1. All this because 4 cable method was too much of a tone sucker for me to accept.

My final solution was to use the pod for all my tones, and send it straight to the power amp (eventually got a rack power amp). I still use this method and it works and sounds great.

Hopefully you find a better solution, but that's what i went through with basically the gear as you have now. Good luck!

3. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

well i figured it out!!!!!!!!!! turns out i needed to adjust the fx loop level and the master level on the floor board. and boom sounded pretty good. then i added a tube drive and boom it sounds better than it did with my actual ts9 and bbe. and i no longer need to run an actual noise gate just the ones on the pod. but if i wouldnt have it hooked up to my laptop here i never would have figured it out. btw i also needed to remember to keep my 6505 effects button on at all times! now im in love

4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Cool you got it work work.

I tried the same rig 4 or 5 years ago and I remember it being a pain to set up the levels, but once you did it sounded good. Yes, you have to play with the post on the amp and the send/return levels in the FX loop block. You gotta get it to unity gain.

5. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Also make sure the POD's output settings are correct. It has a bunch of output options, and if you use the wrong one it will make your tone sound super weird.

6. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Sorry for necroing a dead thread but @a curry or anyone with experience did you end up using the 4 cable method? I am planning on purchasing the POD HD500X to dress up the cleans then switch over to the massive awesomeness of the lead channel and have EQ, Screamer,Compression,noise gate. If that is not possibe maybe just using line6 cleans which might be better than what comes out of the 6505+ anyway.