POD HD500 issues

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sogradde, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Hey there,

I recently acquired a POD HD500 for my EVH LBX, to play around with the 4 cable method. I hooked everything up and it's working as intended; so far so good.
    The only thing that doesn't work is using an internal amp on the POD through the power amp of the EVH as an additional clean channel for my amp (I got the MK I LBX with the blue and red channels). To be specific: Every time I turn the loop off and the amp model on, there is a loud popping noise and the sound cuts out for about half a second. After that, it works fine.
    I tried messing with every knob and setting I could find but I can't seem to get rid of this problem. Is my unit broken or is it a known problem with the HD500 series? I found a video on youtube where it does exactly what I want to do at the 2:55 mark. However, the guy is using a HD500X and not the HD500 I have.

Tl;dr: Can anyone confirm this is a HD500 problem and I can fix it by getting an HD500X or am I just too incapable to make it happen?

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

This is discouraging.

3. exo

exo SS.org Regular

4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Glad to see you at the FB group, hope the rest of the guys can help you out......

5. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

I got a 500 and actually didn't understand your issue. What do you mean by "turning the loop off and the amp model on", as you are running 4 cable? You should always have the fx loop in the Pod on. Maybe the popping noise is an actual "pop" from the on-off transition state of the fx loop deriving from unbalanced levels. Try checking boh the levels for your amp's fx loop and the Pod's send and return db levels in the fx loop block parameters. I can't actually think of anything else. Hope it helps in any way.

6. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

In order to use the amp sim with the EVH poweramp, I have to deactivate the Pods fx loop as it contains the preamp section of the EVH (Pod fx out -> EVH input, EVH fx out -> Pod fx in). I adjusted the Volume as recommended in the mixer section as the pod is known to suck some level, would be surprised if that was the issue though.