Pod HD Pro in an effects loop

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Nicki, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I'm hoping someone has experience in this but I'm a little lost since I've never used an fx loop before.

What I would like to do is connect my Pod HD Pro into the FX Loop of my amp.

I currently have the the connection as so:

Guitar -> Amp guitar in
    Amp FX Send -> Pod FX Return L/Mono
    Pod L Unbalanced Out -> Amp FX Loop return

The problem is, I don't get anything back from the Pod. Does anyone have or know of a tutorial where I could make this work? I'd like to avoid having a cable running into the front of the pod if possible.

2. exo

exo SS.org Regular

the POD FXloop might only work if you have an FX loop assigned in the patch, and I DON'T think you can set things up so the the "in" of the loop is before all the stuff in the chain and the "out" is after it, I think it's just a loop that will allow you to use outboard pedals and preamps as part of the patch's signal path.

Start by throwing a loop as the first thing in your patch's signal chain, and maybe that'll set you up, but you're probably going to have to use the POD's main input to use it like you want if you don't have room for a loop in your patches or you run up against the processing wall.....

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

The amp effects loop send should be going into the guitar input on the POD and the mono (left) main out should be going to the amps effect loop return.

Rev.

exo likes this.
  4. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

So my experience with that has been that the fx loop block is only used when you have pedals that you want in the loop of the pod and you use the fx loop block in your signal path to enable the fx loop on the pod itself.

Do you think its possible to use the line input on the back of the pod instead so long as I assign it as the input through HD Edit?

I should also add that I'm not assigning anything to the amp block. In case that makes a difference.

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Sure, that input is fine.

6. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Great. I'll try it out tonight. I figured my problem was that I couldn't assign the FX Loop return on the pod as the input.

7. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Yup. The only way that (fx return as input) might work is having a loop block first in your chain.....and you're definitely gonna be better off using the line in, because that'll be a universal input, rather than a patch dependent one.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

bare in mind if you ever go 4cm with the Pod, there is slight tone suck which you have to rectify by boosting the output in the mixer block by a few DB of volume to compensate or something.

9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

I played around with it last night and using the line input worked. Thanks all.

exo likes this.
  10. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Good to hear :yesway: