Please tell me someone on here has heard about "OCCUPY WALLSTREET"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Fabrizi0, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Fabrizi0

Fabrizi0 SS.org Regular

This thing is huge. its happening now in NYC. No major broadcasting station has done a single report on it. Ive told all my friends and none of them have seen whats going on.

2. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Yeah I've heard about it, lot of police brutality going on it seems.

3. Fabrizi0

Fabrizi0 SS.org Regular

Thats good to hear. Just reading up on all the nonsense on corporations actually controlling congress more than the people. I want to do something but the only thing i could think of was share it on a guitar forum.

4. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I saw something about it in the P&CE section of SSO, but I try to stay away from such topics. I didn't read anything about it.
    I see a lot of pressure building up over people getting angry at corrupt government/greedy corporations, like a volcano getting ready to blow up. I hope it doesn't just explode uncontrollably like it has in other parts of the world.:ugh:

5. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Yes, I've been following it in the new. I support them! :yesway: :usa:

6. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

Yeah, it is a very under covered event.

7. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

But, but, the mainstream media has a liberal bias!!!

8. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Maybe... but if anything, they are more interested in "establishment" liberals. These people seem a bit more progressive than Obama and Pelosi.

I'm sure if this would have been a tea party rally, it would have gotten more coverage, and police would have acted in a more rational manner.

9. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

I was being entirely facetious. There is one, maybe two, actual liberals in the elected government. And the President is not one of them. Or perhaps he wishes he was but can't seem to pull it off...

10. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

HOLY SHIT. I didn't know this happened, at all.

Just goes to show how dependent people can be on mainstream media, and how sad that dependency is.

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I've been following this, and I haven't really seen much of substance emerge. Could someone state succinctly what the protesters are protestings, beyond "corruption" and "lack of jobs?"

The reason I'm asking is because it seems rather unfocused. If someone protests outside of Walmart, saying that they are unfair to women or minorities, then I get it. You're protesting in front of the business you feel is in the wrong.

To protest in front of your local bank because you don't agree with international banking principles, though, seems a little misguided. Similarly, to protest "corporate greed" without actually offering examples of the specific corporations, much less picketing those actual companies and their management, seems a little weak.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can clarify what exactly is going on. That clarification could wind up being, "Even the protesters have no idea what specifically they want to accomplish, and they're just fodder for pictures to be posted on the website Look at This Fucking Hipster."

Whatever the case, I jam just hoping that something coherent emerges soon....

12. rythmic_pulses

rythmic_pulses Schmuck

This Wall Street stuff has been going on for years, every time a riot or protest goes down there the Police respond with Police Brutality and arrest people for absolutely no reason and the Stock Exchange remains intact, I don't think this issue will ever be resolved if the protesters start getting violent and start shouting at the Police like that, This isn't a case of Corruption at all it is just that the U.S government is at an all time low with this insane amount of debt and everyone else is pretty much paying the price, it isn't just the U.S, it is the entire world that is unfortunately screwed.

13. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

My bad! :wallbash:

14. Fabrizi0

Fabrizi0 SS.org Regular

What it boils down is this. The Government can take in money from these corporations to help promote whoever candidate they choose. What happens in effect is congress tends to vote in their favor. Whether it be tax cuts for the super rich or something as huge as the bailing out of huge banks who were about to fail back in 2008 with tax money paid by the working class of america. And its just a huge snowball effect of debt that just makes the 99% pay the consequences. Im sure there is more fucked up bullshit going on, but either way its corrupt as corrupt can be.

The Fed Audit - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont

Occupy Wall Street | Facebook

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Quoted with emphasis added, actually helps Explorer's point. The problem is when people kvetch about "corporations" and "corruption" as blanket terms, it's ultimately unhelpful for the cause. Name names. Identify and discuss causes. Acting like everything within the boundaries of Wall Street is the core of all evil is unhelpful.

Also, it should be added that anyone can donate money to a politician- even private citizens, and anybody can invest money in securities. Those two points seem to go unacknowledged.

16. Fabrizi0

Fabrizi0 SS.org Regular

Maybe this guy can anwser you better than i can. i dont know everything, i really dont.
    something is just not right.

17. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

What if it's true?

18. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Assuming it's true... then be specific. If there are specific corrupt things happening, then be specific.

If they were, then the hipsters who selected the footage for youtube managed to avoid it. That's probably a factor as to why they can't find jobs in the news editing business. *laugh*

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

What if the sky is green? What is the accuseds' responsibility in pacifying every single criticism made against them? These people are holding the whole financial system in contempt when in truth there might be some (hey, maybe many) bad apples. The problem is, if you don't name names and you make glib, blanket generalizations, you come off at best a protestor-for-the-sake-of-protesting or at worst a know-nothing just as bad as the people who are allegedly part of the alleged problem.

There is nothing wrong on calling out companies that could be said to have wronged the general citizenship, but there needs to be more to it than an empty protest. For example, there's a company up in my state that took state money (lent-out with the expectation that the money would be used to grow the business in the state and maintain jobs), and that company instead used the money to help set up a factory in China that within a few months will host all of the jobs that the state-side company once held. Almost a thousand people out of jobs, assisted by the company manipulating the system; sure, they'll pay back the money but they already got their nut. Didn't happen on Wall Street. I don't see any of these protestors up here to address a very-much-tangible instance of betraying the citizenship- no, just a bunch of people pulling-down the low hanging fruit, shrieking generalizations hundreds of miles away from where the actual carnage is happening.

20. Setnakt

Setnakt il Brutto