Please help me pick my first bass amp!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Frey, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Greetings fine forum folks. Hope everyone is well. I'll try to be as succinct as possible. I'm a guitar player that recently purchased an Ibanez BTB676M bass and would really like to become acquainted with it. I'd really like something "giggable" as I have some intentions of joining a local rock or country cover band or two as a bassist. It may also be notable that I'm a metal player first and foremost so it would be nice if it could achieve suitable metal tones. After some research I've narrowed it down to:

Fender Rumble 350 2x10 for $200 locally

or

Acoustic B450 2x10 for $300 locally

I believe both of these have the "line out" feature to hook up to a PA which is desirable. I think that the Acoustic can also hook up to additional cabs whereas the Fender cannot which seems to be a definite knock against the Fender. If both of these are terrible I'm certainly open to suggestions. I never imagined that the world of bass amps was so different from guitar! Thanks for your time and any input!

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I have no real experience with either, but I've tried some Fender Rumble stuff in store and generally enjoyed it. Realistically, I'd go with whichever one you think sounds better when you turn it up. There's not really a "bass amp for metal" or "for country" or "for rock" like there can be with guitar amps. I don't know that I'd be too concerned with additional cabs, since 450 solid state watts aren't going to drive extra cabs loud enough to be worthwhile, IMO. Cabs make a lot of difference to bass tone though, so if you don't like the sound of the enclosure that comes with the combo, maybe amp heads are worth considering. A 2x10 can be surprisingly loud. The DI outs on both are super useful though. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

3. bpprox22

bpprox22 String Breaker

I had a Rumble 350 and that thing was nice.

4. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I've been pleasantly surprised with everything in the Rumble range I've played, I own one of the first gen 1x15 Rumble 100s. I'd go with that, personally. The built-in drive could be an asset for metal playing as well.

5. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Thank you all very much for your replies! So according to my research an extra 100 Watts won't make that big of a difference in the bass world? And if being able to connect to cabs is sort of pointless then the Acoustic loses an advantage there. Really I'd like to think that if the venue is so big that 350Watts isn't cutting it that they'll likely have a PA to just go straight into.

It's also probably worth mentioning that they're both fairly long rides from my house so it's not very desirable to go try them both out and then decide. I'm starting to think I'll go try the Rumble and if for some reason it really lets me down then I'll go and give the Acoustic a shot.

6. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Now when you say built in drive, is that just a setting/switch on the amp that would bring the tone into more "metal" territory?

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have been planning on buying an Ampeg BA112V2. The BA115V2 has a line out.

You might check those out also.

8. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Yup, switchable onboard overdrive with gain and blend controls. It'll add some more hair to your tone for sure. Personally I like a somewhat overdriven bass tone for metal.

9. ekajnitram

ekajnitram SS.org Regular

You really can't go wrong with the Fender Rumble series stuff, always solid. The Acoustic honestly seems over priced, so I would either check out used stuff at your local GC (I just snagged an Ampeg SVT115e cab for $200 from them here) or pick up the Fender.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Hmm. Hard to say. Of those two, I think the Fender is the better choice...but...

Also go to a store and try out a pile of bass amps. Turn them up and rattle the walls a little bit. Have fun with it and piss off the employees at the store just a little...

But more importantly, make mental notes of what you like and what you don't like about the amps. Actually, if you never bought a bass amp before, the first two amps you try might just leave you with the impression of "yup, it's an amp." But as you try amp number 14 or 15, you should be picking apart the differences. For me, the tonal differences between bass amps is staggering once you really start taking them different directions. Then, once you've formed an opinion, sleep on it and make a decision. Bass amps are not that expensive, so maybe there ends up being something new that you like better than these two options that is also in the same price range. Who knows.

Also, a big part of a bass amp, for me, is in subtler things. Maybe there are little annoying practical things that detract from an amp, like control placement, switch placement, weight, balance, etc. I have a Peavey amp I really like the sound of, but the way it balances when you carry it is stupid, so you have to have someone help you, even though it's not heavy. Now I sort of wish I had gone with my other leading choice of an Ampeg, but really, if I had bought that, I'd probably be complaining about something else. :lol:

11. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone again for the input. I ended up going with the Fender Rumble and have thus far been very happy with it!