Please critique the living crap out of my mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jasonsansburn, Nov 9, 2016.

1. jasonsansburn

jasonsansburn Bleep Blerp Bleep

Hey all you friendly 7string'rs. Please don't be friendly when critiquing this mix. I've been trying really hard to mix some decent drums and these are for sure the best I've done yet, IMO.

So this was composed all yesterday, and partly this morning. Now I'm prescribed Adderall for my ADD but in recent events regarding my health, I stayed off of it for a couple weeks while some tests were run on me dealing with cardiac issues. All is well and I was put back on my dose yesterday (just wanted to mention this because I don't want people to think I'm abusing drugs and hear the whole "hey man you shouldn't be doing that"). Welp, my body lost whatever tolerance it had to it and as you can tell from the whole first half of the song, I wanted to go fast! Then where the song pulls a pretty big 180 (imo), that was from this morning when I wasn't on it yet.

Now enough blabbering. I'm mainly concerned about what people think about the mix. Specifically the bass presence, the drums, and the guitar/bass to kick relationship.

Also, I'm really curious if this composition is even listenable. I've written things before where I think they make perfect sense and flow together well, but I'll come back to it a few days later and just be like "what...the....... was I trying to do there?"

I can't decide if the transition from the first fast part to the second fast part, where the highpass/lowpass sweeps and is panned all over the place is too abrupt of a change from the first part.

Also, I'm curious how the second transition sounds. I've never went from 160bpm to 110bpm....so this was my first attempt. It's definitely a huge change musically, which I've been able to handle before but I've never done tempo changes like this before.

In summary, I wrote all this yesterday and this morning, so my takes were rushed and there was a lot of copy and pasting going on, but don't critique that, just the mix and your personal opinion on the composition. I've never been a person who comfortably plays at faster tempos, so this was a bit out of my comfort zone, but I had a f---ing great time yesterday doing this when I had no work, no school--no priorities!:fawk:

Thanks in advance to people who respond and better me as a musician!

Cheers :shred::hbang:

https://soundcloud.com/user-866795081-576183505

ALSO, anyone know some good free ambient synths that sound good in a metal setting? I think it'd be cool to have a synth instead of the lead at the 25 second mark.

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Link isn't working for me.

3. jasonsansburn

dunno why link didn't work, only track on my page so I linked that instead

4. AngstRiddenDreams

Sounds like there's some high end artifacts, which is typical of soundcloud compression. Track is sweet! I dig the panning effects.
    Everything is too much muffled sounding. If you have a high pass on the guitar I would loosen it up by about 1k hz. Sounds like there's no presence to it.
    The drums are also crazy muffled. I think they could benefit from a bit of a room mic boost. Is there bass guitar?
    Your levels compared to each other are nicely balanced. It just sounds like there's a blanket over my monitors :lol:
    Solo :shred: fvck yeah

5. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Fellow MN'er!

Pretty cool composition and song overall! I think the biggest thing is the toms and snare. They are sitting right in the mix, but overall tonally, they seem to be muffled a bit.

Nice work!

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I concur with the comment about the drums being muffled.
    Too much sub harmonic content, not enough "crack" or attack on the heads, not enough "chime" on the cymbals & hi-hat. You'd be surprised how even subtle adjustments in this area can make a mix sound more exciting.

7. steelyad

steelyad Hop Pole Studios

I agree on the drums point, but also it sounds like all your cymbal hits are at 127 velocity, which isn't right - imagine a drummer hulking out on every cymbal hit? Doesn't happen. Bring them down a bit, maybe use a velocity humaniser to get a bit more reality going and them bring the OH volume up to match, and watch your snare and toms magically sound bigger and more snappy as a result of some added presence :)

8. steelyad

steelyad Hop Pole Studios

Also the guitars seem to have a weird low-mid hump that's masking everything else, especially that solo part at the end just seems like it's muffled because of too much 600-800Hz mush, an area I usually take out of guitars (after the amp and cab, I keep the mids high on the amp to get that nice bite).
    Also maybe try something like smashing the lead through a compressor like JST Gain reduction if you want to try something fun to bring it to the front of the mix without being louder than everything ever. Results may vary though.... Good luck

9. AngstRiddenDreams

Does your drum VST have a room mic?
    If so, run it into a separate channel. Send that to another channel. SMASH one of them, get it pumping with at least 12 db of gain reduction. Set the attack to about 20 ms and release to like 40 ms. Blend that for punch. Take the untreated room mic, add a touch of saturation if you have a plugin for it. Then take an eq and give it a huge high shelf, starting at around 7-8 k.

10. jasonsansburn

Wow well thanks for all the replies. This site ceases to fail! Well I can't figure out how to multi-quote but I tried to address all the advice since it all seemed like good advice! The main concern seemed to be "squashed drums". Never even realized it till it was brought up, I'm probably just so used to them sounding that way. I'm not even sure how to fix this but here are the things I did to my drums:
    1. Mixed in more top end of the snare to make it snap a bit more.
    2. Brought down low frequencies on the toms, as some really low (basically inaudible) frequencies were clipping the smallest bit.
    3. Turned up overhead mic
    4. Adjusted volume
    5. Humanized all cymbals by 12% so the hard hits range from 110-127 and other ones purposely put at certain velocities vary more.
    That's all I could think of to do based off my own knowledge and understanding of what people were saying

Someone else mentioned my guitars sounding like they had a lowpass on them. Unfortunately they don't and all my eq is on my axe-fx standard, and is pretty basic (small boost around 1-3khz, small dip 600-800hz)

I turned the bass up a whole dB

Someone also mentioned "high end artifacts." Can someone tell me what that is. Are you referring to an almost clipping-esque noise? Hoping tom eq fixed that.

I also rearranged the ending a little, putting a tremolo part over the sweeping section without the panning. Is there too much going on there? I think it sounds a little odd at first but sounds good once you kinda listen for it. Idk.
    I also re-recorded the slow solo section which I'm gonna end up re-recording haha but I was trying to make it sound like two different guitarists, panning each 5% to a different side. Thought it gave it a neat effect.

Thanks again and let me know of any other good ideas!

EDIT: First link still to listen