Playstation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Don Vito, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Because the last thread was pretty much "Look I play games on a computer".

What games are you hoping for on the PS4? What do you think it will look like?

Will it have downloadable cake?

2. Stealth7

Stealth7 SS.org Irregular

I'm looking forward to some new Uncharted games. I probably won't get it at launch unless they have something really awesome from the get go.

3. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

New consoles rarely have many good games at launch. The PS3 had Resistance and maybe another good game... all I remember clearly is that awful Gundam game and Genji Days of the Blade aka Giant Enemy Crabs.

4. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Yea, really, the only console launch I can think of that had an awesome game was the Xbox with Halo, second runner-up to the SNES w/ Super Mario Land.

5. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Totally agree. I would be wary of buying the PS4 at launch just because of how the PS3 was during launch, there was serious lack of good games to play. I'm a little sad to see no backwards emulation on the Slims anymore. I wonder if they will have backwards compatibility for PS3 games?
    Hopefully the price point of the console during the initial launch won't be like $499 or $599 or whatever they were when the PS3 first launched!!

6. SpaseMoonkey

SpaseMoonkey SS.org Regular

Last I heard, it won't be backwards compatible because they are doing away with the cell processor. Also they are looking to simplify the programming aspect, that way it will be easier to port over games.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If they DON'T do backwards compatibility for the PS3 games, they've just fucked themselves out of a good chunk of fans. The system has been going strong for what, 6 year worth of games and they're gonna say, "Nope, can't play them."

8. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I am very curios about their price point, I've heard the new Xbox is looking at $279 and won't use discs at all. I wonder if the ps4 will try to go bigger or stay with disc tech.

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Link for that article please? I think the idea of getting rid of discs is great in theory, but in reality, kind of impractical since drives can be corrupted and :blahblah: so installing from a disc as a back-up would still be reasonable. Plus, what does that do for collector's editions?

It'll be interesting to see if that happens for next-gens.

10. spattergrind

spattergrind SS.org Regular

I'm stoked for it, but please keep the same controller!
    It's like the perfect controller IMO. Don't change it. :agreed:

So glad they didn't go with the banana controller for the ps3. :lol:
    [​IMG]

I agree with the backwards compatibility too. If they do, hopefully they will even extend it to PS2 compatible games as well.

11. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

^ Crikey! I had almost forgotten about that thing :lol:

I'm positive they won't have PS2 backwards compatibility. Besides, I think you can emulate PS2 games these days.

12. Mexi

Mexi SS.org Regular

WSJ: PlayStation 4 will launch this year | Joystiq

"The Wall Street Journal also mentions that Sony had considered removing the optical disk drive to make the device download only. However, and this is merely speculation on our part, this idea was dropped when company execs were visited by the ghost of the PSP Go."

makes sense, by making games download-only they really limit their markets in countries that don't have reliable nation-wide broadband internet access (S. America/Asia).

apparently the new console is going to focus more on the "social-gaming" aspect, which for me suggests more integration w/ social media and the like (which I don't really care for) However, I think they also want to keep pushing the console as a media center by having a better browser, better codec functionality and the ability to listen to music you have stored in-game (hopefully!)

Interesting thing that other posters have mentioned about the first slew of new console games being pretty lame and that will likely be the case this time around. If the PS4 does indeed come out at the end of the year, it will overlap with the continued release of anticipated titles for the PS3. The same kind of overlap happened with the PS2 with great games being released at the end of the dev cycle (shadow of the colossus for example)

first gen of games for the PS4 will probably look like PC games do right now and will progressively get better looking as games get developed on next-gen engines (like UE4) developed for these consoles and next-gen PC videocards

Sony has substantially less of the console market share, so they can't afford to alienate their player base by removing backwards compatibility for PS3 games and a download-only system. Combined with their history of PSN problems from hacking and just bad reputation overall, they're going to have to do a lot to regain consumer confidence in a new console. At least they're not promising that it'll be an "open" system only to close it off and inspire hackers to attack them.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the console overall. I think gamers expect a lot from AAA titles so I don't think we're going to get poorly conceived, tech demo-like flagship launch games.

13. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

I've got quite a few games even going back to the original playstation. It sucks having that feature taken away on the current PS3 models!

I'm still pissed that the slim only has 2 usb ports and no backwards compatibility for older games. Can't have a controller charging, PS Eye plugged in and an external hdd / flash drive plugged in all at once. An awesome selling point when we originally got the playstation 3 was that we could play all of our old games, including some original playstation games on it. Not no more. I understand it is because the library of games has grown to the point where backwards compatiblity isn't a big selling point for many people. But, it still sucks to have your original die and be forced to buy these new devices that feel like a downgrade. We couldn't even update our playstation for over a month for some reason and then all of a sudden it started working :nuts:

14. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

There's a good discussion video on ign about the speculations with this and the next Xbox. Their main contention is that MS will release the Xbox info in the next month as well.

I am really psyched to get on some next gen games. Anyone hear of any games that might be on these systems?

15. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

And cool artist interpretation of the Playstation 4, via Kotaku. The controller doesn't seem to far fetched. The actual console looks a little too Apple though.
    [​IMG]

16. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

If it's anything like it currently is for PC, the collector's edition will come with all the collectable goodies, and either a card or a disc with the code to DL them game from whatever service provides it. When I got the Skyrim collector's edition for PC, it came with all the goodies and a disc that included a Steam DL link/code.

17. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Is that the one with the dragon statue? I guess they could send stuff like that in the mail.

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Not so great IMO. Disks are far more convenient. I do download all games for PC, but it takes like a week or so to get my whole catalog and in the meantime the internet is at a snails pace. My internet is rather average as well. If I (and the rest of the world) were running on fiber then downloads would totally be the way to go. Currently you can already download games and I suspect they still sell more hard copies especially when they charge you the exact same price 9/10 :nuts:

Really? How much of the market do they have? I would have suspected Nintendo being at the bottom, but I suppose they took advantage of the recession with incredibly low prices.

19. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I agree that downloads should be marginally cheaper. I actually prefer download my games now for PC as well, but consoles I am unsure of. I would really like the ability to install games, have them be activated online and then not have to have the bloody disc in the drive any more. That has always been super inconvenient as far as I am concerned.

If games are in the 10Gb+ range, that could a problem for downloads. If Sony uses great compression and gets downloads down to 5Gb or less, that's not bad at all. For me that maybe an hour's download and in many cases, you could have the game preloaded prior to launch and actually start gaming quicker than if you go to a brick and mortar store. They still have a ways to go to get services up to the point that physical copies aren't necessary I think.

Sony actually just took over from Xbox360 in market share this month (globally), they're doing just fine. Nintendo won more with novelty, price and by demographic IMO.

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I never understood why they charge more. Games are big enough that it isn't necessarily convenient (I live close to Walmart, Target, several Game Stops, etc.). I do like the idea of installing a game from a disk, though, to avoid the initial download.

When I can get 3 MB down it's not terrible, but I can't use other online services during the process. The other issue I've noticed is that even established services, like Steam, seem really slow to me. They don't even take up my whole bandwidth during download typically. I doubt Sony will be able to do much better out the gate. Having said that I have yet to download any PSN Games.

Top that with a few cable/internet companies capping peoples internet and it seems highly unlikely IMO. They'd be alienating capped customers and people with sub par/no internet access.