Playing to a Click Live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by jamsea, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Oh hai Sammy. Does it happen upon playback elsewhere? Reimport the file to Protools and check each channel.
    Are you sure the cable is a stereo splitter cable and not a duplication one or whatever, that puts both L/R on either side on a stereo cable?

2. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Our drummer plays to a click. Everyone then follows him (he's our metronome)

Easy setup, means I can run around on stage no problems.

Everyone is D.I now which does make for a quiet stage, but unfortunately NZ isnt big enough to warrant spending a small fortune on In Ear Monitors for everyone else on stage (drummer uses cans/headphones) plus most of the venues in NZ arent big enough to warrant them anyway, you'd end up looking like a cock haha.

But yeah, I love having our drummer play to a click track. It means I can practise at home with confidence also, many of our songs are pushing pretty crazy tempos and it would throw me off if we had to play them slightly slower.

3. Luke Acacia

Luke Acacia STRAYA

My band Acacia Acacia- Brisbane Metal | Facebook just has our drummer throw some earphones into his phone with a metronome app running, puts the phone in a holder that attaches to his rack and it works brilliantly. When drums stop and its a person playing on their own which happens alot as we are symphonic metal, he just keeps time with the rim of his snare, kick or hi hat. Works a charm and we play really tight because of it.

4. MetalBuddah

MetalBuddah 0000 00 0 0 00 000

Trying this out on Sunday but going the laptop route. My drummer was a little hesitant to doing it at first, but after we had a jam where I insisted that he try to play to a click....he absolutely loved it. It has tamed him so much but in a good way. He is a lot cleaner in his playing and it has helped his footwork a ton in our more groove oriented passages. Can't wait to try this out and see the look on people's faces when we have our massive wall of synths in our intro track but I just hope to God nothing bad happens, especially since this is VELA's first show under a new name and new lineup.

This thread really helped with getting everything situated, so thank you OP for starting this and thanks to everybody else who contributed :metal:

5. polarbeast666

polarbeast666 SS.org Regular

Is there anything I should prepare before using these backing tracks live? I may be ghetto but I have everything (2nd guitars and effects) in audcaity as well as a click and have the click panned right and have a splitter cable and then go to FOH. The Splitter cable is just going into my laptops headphone output. So far its working totally fine. But I mean, is it really that simple? Seems to good to be true, has anyone had problems with adjusting the volumes on the backing tracks live to fit with the actual real bands volume levels? And what if the FOH board is far away? Need an exxxxtra long cable then?

6. polarbeast666

and if you went ipod to pa and plit the signals so the drummer couild control the click with the PA, where would the drummer plug his headphones into? Where one of the PA's speakers should go or just a channel on the PA?

7. MetalBuddah

It is really that simple. Like for me it is just Laptop + DAW > Focusrite 8i6 > left output to drummer > right output to house. And if you are playing on a normal club setup, there should be audio snakes on the stage so there would be no need for super long cables and you would just have to make sure the sound guy has a DI box for you to use (which he should).

8. polarbeast666

Awesome, well Iv been worrying myself a ton for no real reason then haha..so thankyou! I'm just worried about adjusting the backing tracks volumes to be loud enough to be heard with our actual band. Guess thats what sound check is for ha

9. MetalBuddah

Exactly! And that is one of the reasons I will be running from my DAW. I have all the tracks bounced as a split signal wav (so two files per song) and one is all click and one is samples/whatnot so I can control all that during sound check on the DAW.

10. polarbeast666

ah awesome, that sounds like it would be pretty straightforward then. Dang Im major excited for my band to finnally play live now ha

11. MetalBuddah

^Good stuff man! I am on the same boat as you as far as excitement level right now. Can't wait to test the clicks out at band practice tonight and I can't wait to see the look on my drummer's face when he hears the secret messages I left him on his click track XD

12. polarbeast666

And wait, so I was thinking, what cable needs to go to FOH for the audience to hear the backing tracks? It doesnt need to be an XLR does it?

13. MetalBuddah

You can just run a quarter inch TRS cable from either the left or right output (depending on how you panned your tracks) into a DI box that goes to the house.

And my show went great with the click, if I might add. No problems whatsoever!

14. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

Kind of off-topic, but I read the title as "Playing to a Chick Live" and had a good laugh about it. :lol:

15. polarbeast666

awesome dude! glad it went well for you. But so you absolutely NEED a DI box so you can go to that to DI and then XLR to the mixer? Also, everytime I pan the click a certain way in audacity it always bleeds through so the audience would be able to hear and I cant fix it...

16. MetalBuddah

Yeah, DI box is pretty necessary but most venues will have a bunch considering bassists tend to go DI a lot and it is necessary for keyboard players.

And for the bleed....I fixed that by bouncing as a split stereo wav file. So essentially you get two files, one for the left side of the spectrum and one for the right. Therefore, no bleed of the metronome into the sample channel. Makes it really handy since it gives you a little more control over the volume of the click and samples

17. polarbeast666

okay sweet well the main venue here in wichita kansas is pretty nice so Im sure they have some DI boxes but ill check. And I fixed the click! thanks bra

18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ But how do you play two files at once?

19. polarbeast666

what program did you use to make the split stereo wave? I cant seem to do it right in fl studio..

20. polarbeast666

also, my band played the backing tracks today through our PA and the intro is this lead type of part, and it was absolutely ear peaircing. Like...it hurt. But then when we played everything sounded fine. What all can I maybe do to ensure that the backing tracks wont hurt anyones ears live?