Playing to a Click Live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by jamsea, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

Yeah was a really shitty drummer. fired her before we did any gigs this was in the rehearsal room we use. couldn't hear the track through the shitty pa just notices it was still goin after we finnished the songs. I don't think she even bothered to listen to the click

2. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Sorry for bumping but I've been having an issue with setting up click tracks with backing tracks.

I upload everything into Pro Tools, pan the click 100% right, backing tracks 100% left and bounce everything as a stereo interleaved file. It then ends up on my desktop. The moment I put it into iTunes to put it onto my ipod to listen to it, I hear the click coming out on the right side. Even if i drag and drop the file directly into the iPod, it still makes the click come out on the right side. Any solution for this? I need the click to only come out on the left and the backing tracks on the right

3. Goatfork

Goatfork Dovahkiin

Try taking the click off the right side if you don't want to hear it there, bro.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

:lol:

Yeah, I'm guessing that was a typo.
    So you're hearing the click from the sid eyou don't want it on too? Not just that side? What about the music, is that staying on it's own side?

I just tried this in ProTools and the bounced file was fine. However, I don't have an iPod to try it on. You make it sound as if it's ok on your computer but messes up on the iPod?

That's odd. I really can't understand how that would happen.

I don't know about wiring, but could a faulty headphone jack (either the iPod or headphones) be the issue? Can anyone suggest a song with panning to try it on too?

5. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Yeah it was a typo :lol:

This is what happens after I bounce the file from Pro Tools onto my desktop, everything is fine. The click is 100% left, the backing tracks are 100% right.

The moment I drag and drop it onto my iPod (using iTunes) the click begins to come out the right as well as the left. Not as loud, but it is clearly there. Ive tried opening the file in iTunes and putting it in my library and then dragging it onto my iPod but it still does the same thing. I heard it has to do with the way iTunes sums up and converts their files or something. It seems that iTunes is whats screwing up the panning. Its driving me crazy :scream:

6. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Anyone?

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I just made a file with 100% L R panning, tested before and after bringing into iTunes. Mine is fine :scratch:
    Maybe check your import settings, I know there's something on there about mono/stereo, though it doesn't sound like yours is in mono.

8. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

What should i change about the import settings? There are 3 different things to change. do i just change the channels from stereo to mono?

9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

No. I meant you may want to check but I can't see what the problem is there. You want it to be stereo and it already must be, as you still have panning in your track, even if it is wrong.
    I really have no idea what the problem is here...Googling around seems to give the opinion that iTunes 'messes' with audio, but doesn't specify about panning. And I got mine to work just fine...

Can you not get the music on the iPod without iTunes, like a normal MP3 player? (Don't know anything about iPods).

Note that I'm using iTunes 9 because 10 couldn't use the nice black skin I have :lol: Maybe try download 9 and see if works on there.

10. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

There is no stable software out there that allows you to drag and drop music onto the iPod without iTunes. Ive tried to drag and drop it onto the iPod (while still using iTunes) without going through the iTunes library but it still puts the audio on the right.

It definitely has something to do with iTunes because when I audition the file on the desktop, it sounds fine. everything thats on the left remains on the left. It is so irritating :scream:

11. Mattman

Mattman SS.org Regular

Well there is SharePod. Kind of similar to iTunes but user friendly and not so annoying. No drag and drop feature though.

Metalus, I think I know what the problem might be. I've tried iPod and couple of different mp3 players - same thing. Click leaks to other channel but it looks like it's because of a cable. Tried with headphones and is absolutely fine. Cable sux (although it's good quality). So maybe iPod+mixer will solve the problem?

12. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Are you using a mono cable?

13. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

I was using the standard ipod headphones listening through my mbox's headphone input. You think its mainly the cable thats allowing the bleed?

When you say ipod+mixer do u mean connecting the ipod to the mixer and splitting the left signal to the drummer and the right one to FOH?

I was using standard ipod headphones. I guess i should give it a shot with a splitter cable through a PA to see if it bleeds still?

14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Could be the headphones I guess. It probably wouldn't be noticable on other songs.
    Trying it with some minijack speakers or another pair of headphones should be sufficient though right? Unless you have easy access to a splitter cable and PA.

15. Mattman

Mattman SS.org Regular

I've tested it with 2 different good quality stereo cables and it was bleeding, but the same file on headphones or PC was absolutely fine. Cables itself seem to be OK. That's why I think mixer might be the right thing.

16. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

That's weird man, not sure how that is possible if it's being split L/R, we use a Zune and have no problem with our tracks.

17. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Could it be the way im bouncing it out of Pro Tools?

Im bouncing it as Stereo interleaved

Or would a splitter cable solve the problem?

18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Stereo interleaved is correct.

Can you confirm the following:
    -The file played in Windows Media Player or similar, from your documents, on any output (headphones, speakers, stereo cable) has correct panning.
    -The file once uploaded and played in iTunes, has incorrect panning. And thus has incorrect panning at any point after iTunes.

If so, the problem is definately iTunes. You shouldn't need to get a mixer to sort this out, and unless it's urgent I'd urge to find the source of the problem rather than work around it.
    That said, I have no other ideas about what's going on here. Did you ever try iTunes 9? I can confirm it works for me on there.

Have you tried bringing the original file back into Protools, along with the iTunes file? That way you can see if it's actually iTunes changing the panning of the file or not.
    Make something new with one sound a few seconds after the other, alternating left and right, and see if when you bring them back in, the opposite channel is still clear.

19. Tom MAF

Tom MAF DoesIGotDjent?

20. SammyKillChambers

SammyKillChambers SS.org Regular

Bit of a necrobump here, but I'm desperately trying to sort this out. I'm having the exact same problem as Metalus was. I pan the click 100% left, and the backing track 100% right. Bounce as stereo interleaved, put on an iPod, take it to practice. At practice, I use a Y-splitter cable, with headphones in the L channel to take the click direct to our drummer, and then a cable in the R channel to take the backing track to the PA.

However, when we play the tracks on the iPod, the click can be heard coming out from the PA, even though the tracks are hard panned, and I am using a mono splitter. It's mega-fucking-frustrating.

So I guess, what I'm trying to say is: WAT DO?