Playing to a Click Live

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by jamsea, Jan 15, 2011.

1. jamsea

jamsea SS.org Regular

Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this. I'm really trying to push this for my band but my drummer and other guitarist are worried it will take away from the "live feel". We have orchestra arrangements on our upcoming CD so I'd love to be able to incorporate them live.

I'm just not sure how we'd go about doing it. Anyone have experience doing this? What kind of setups do you use? Also, we messed around with a click to record some rough preproduction demos but our drummer had a really hard time hearing the click through the headphones so we had to amplify it to the max. Any work around for that?

2. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

we use orchestra sounds on a backing track we use a minidisk although we may switch to an ipod at some point we put instruments on the left track and click on the right. i don't see how u can do what you want without a click.
    a lot of drummers don't seem to like using click but it may make it feel more live to him if you mix the rest of the band into the headphones as well

3. armanikane

armanikane SS.org Regular

Another way (same principle) to do this is to run tracks out of a multi-out firewire interface hooked up to a laptop...send click to one set of outputs to the drummer and send the samples (in stereo) from another set of outputs to Di boxes hooked into the FOH...

4. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

playing to a click live has been one of the best decisions my band has made. Doesn't take away any "live feel" it just makes you ridiculously tight

We just use an ipod + in ears for our drummer and that's it

5. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

a drummer needs to be comfortable with clicks for recording anyway.
    we had to fire a drummer cos she she couldnt follow the click we were finnishing the song about 20 secs before the backing track

6. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

What other ways are there for playing to a click plus having live samples/backing tracks?

7. Benzesp

Benzesp Banned

I used a dat player back in the day. its stereo out so one side went to the drummer as a click\cue track, the other side went to the house or practice room PA for sampes keys etc. Was time consuming to deconstruct the recording sessions and pan everything correctly but it always worked in any situation. The drummer had control of the dat and would start and stop it live between songs.

8. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

Sorry for necrobumping, but do any of you guys run the click tracks through the monitors for the rest of the band to hear (Guitarists and bassists mostly, obviously not vocalists)?

Or is the drummer the only one who hears the click?

9. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Drummer only so the rest of the band can follow his (correct) tempo

10. Ckackley

Ckackley SS.org Regular

I would be curious as to a "whole band" approach as my band has a bunch of songs that start with an instrument or vocals and the drums don't come in for a while.

11. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

A friend's prog-rock band does this.
    They have one guitarist but many layers which are played off a backing track through f.o.h

They run an ipod with a click and backing track split hard left/hard right.
    The right goes to front of house.
    The left goes to a mixer, at the mixer is split into 4 signals, one for each member, this is blended with a send from front of house for monitoring and sent to a wireless transmitter for each member's in ear monitors.

The result - they all play to a click with their own tailored blend of click to monitoring. They also don't need any on-stage monitoring as a result which is great for shitty venues.

12. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

Have a click "intro" that the drummer will count outloud with the hihat letting whatever band member know his cue is up, we did that when we had a drummer (a whole one practice:lol:)

13. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

My band use click tracks

There are 2 ways of doing it:
    Laptops / Interface
    or my way of IPOD :D!

Laptop is the more well known and used way. its simply:
    Laptop + Interface. Click track going to drummer and samples and audio/music going to front of house (PA)
    you arrange it in your DAW (Cubase, protools, logic etc) So both the tracks are linked in time and with the interface send the click track through 1 output and the FOH music track to another. Click to your drummers IN EAR MONITORS (This will make it easier for him to hear) and the music track to the soundesk.

IPOD WAY:
    this is how i do it and it works and is MUCH more reliable and easier IMO.
    do the same with a click track and an audio/music track in your DAW.
    pan 100% Left Click and 100% right Music.
    Export this as an audio file.
    Put it on your ipod and using a splitter cable (Sterio mini jack > mono left and mono right jacks) your drummer plugs his headphones into the left/click channel and the desk gets the Right/Music.

I find this MUCH more reliable because your ipod wont fuck up as laptops/harddrives can do in a gig setting. Plus the drummer can control which song plays.
    I like to put 2 min of silence at the end of each songs backing track so that the drummer has plenty of time to get the to ipod after the song has finished. If you put it in order for the set then all he needs to do is skip the ipod to start the next track ;)
    Your FOH backing track will be MONO but i personally think this is better as with sterio, only the middle of the crowd get the right sound. this way everyone everywhere hears it correctly.

Hope this helps!

Metalus likes this.
  14. stryker1800

stryker1800 Sweet Pickle

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere on here that Porcupine Tree use click tracks live for the whole band.

15. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Porcupine tree use this method. They go one step further though: everyone gets a click so the percussionless sections are dead in time, but Gavin Harrison's click track has his own voice on it, reminding him when the changes are coming up. So it'd be "CLICK click click click click click click CLICK cl-Chorus in three, two, one- CLICK click click click CLICK click click click" He claims it lets him concentrate on improvising and being so deep in the pocket that a Chilean mining company are starting to dig rescue tunnels.

(bonus points if you can figure out what Porcupine Tree song I'm imagining the click track to. :cool: )

16. fuzzboy

fuzzboy SS.org Regular

I'm gonna guess Time Flies

17. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

My whole band plays to a click. We use a Kurzweil K2500R synth module with MIDI tracks loaded in for samples, keyboards and the click. The keys and samples go to the PA system, the click goes to a headphone mixer, which also gets a feed from the PA system. I control the synth with my G System.

18. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Same thing we do, though we haven't actually used any backing tracks live yet. We've been using the clicks live for several years now, with no issues.

19. TimTomTum

TimTomTum SS.org Regular

So that means, no cool stereo glitchty L to R effects? hm but definetly great idea.

20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

How many live shows do you honestly think that would work at, anyway?