Playing overhaul/kick in the ass?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Drache713, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Drache713

Drache713 Contributor

My concept of music theory and such is pretty good, I know basic to moderate stuff about that. But my playing needs a major kick in the ass, I have no technique/ability. And I don't have time for a teacher and/or lessons. Anybody know of any resources (i.e. online, books, cd's, dvd's) that will help me get back on track to kicking ass? All I got right now book wise is hal leonard's 7-string guitar theory book....

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

3. Vince

Vince Contributor

4. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

From non technical standpoint, every time I find myself in a rut I fuck around with altered tunings.

You'd be amazed what a few days playing in a tuning you aren't used to will do for your songwriting. :)

5. Vince

Vince Contributor

start recording yourself and play over patterns you create. Getting a drum machine and playing along to various drum loops will help you expand as well.

6. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i think im going to mess around with that, vai has a cool tuning on dying day :scream2:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

In addition to the link above, www.chopsfromhell.com is worth a read. Don't just memorize the licks, look at the overarching "big picture" behind the licks, and try tog et a feel for the players' approach to the guitar.

Also, Troy Stetena's "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" is, after about three weeks, doing wonders for me. It's like $13 off amazon.com, and worth every penny IMO.

Oh, and in the next week or two I hope to have some stuff up at www.extendedrangeguitar.com -that might help, too. ;)

-D