Planning on getting a Behringer UMC22, it's a good start?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Space_Shift, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Space_Shift

Space_Shift SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, first post after some time. So i'm going back to guitar and on making some music projects also and i was looking for a good audio interface on the cheap.

One option i have is the Behringer UMC22, for the price looks very good (i have a limited budget) and i'm not planning on doing anything too professional. My main usage would be for recording some covers and maybe some songs just to learn audio recording and maybe checking out Guitar Rig.

In a future if i still have it i would like to get an e-drum kit and a synth to complement my rig and maybe a bass if i have the chance, whatever comes first hehe. So if i still have the AI should be fine for recording any of those?

It's a good interface for this scenario, any thoughts about this product or something i should know before buying?

Thanks.

downburst82 likes this.
  2. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

Not so long ago, just because it started with the B word, many people would have said no, but they've certainly shown they can have decent USB drivers lately with the X32. I'm chicken and for the cheap stuff would usually go Presonus or Focusrite, but seems like people are having pretty good luck with the Behringer USB interfaces: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199252

3. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

im happy with mine and prefer with over my focusrite
    AMA

4. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I've seen people have problems with the Behringer drivers, otherwise the interface seems well done on specs. It seems they grafted ASIO4ALL drivers to their products, or I might be wrong, so definitely a cost saving measure that to me reeks of beta release :(

5. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

My son needed an interface so we got him a UMC22 because he didn’t need anything higher end. I messed with it a little and it is solid on a Mac... when using it with iOS it is a PITA because the instrument input is locked as Input #2 so some iOS apps do not expect an interface with two inputs. I forget which one but one of the major guitar modeling apps would not work with it because of this. It is also funky on the Mac drivers as the input and output show as separate ins and outs.

Overall, it serves the purpose it was purchased for and is inexpensive. I certainly would not buy one as my main interface.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. Space_Shift

Thanks for replies! Something i saw on a video was about the latency and got me thinking about if getting that one or another model f.e. the 202
    This is the video:

I don't know if is a common issue or just something that happened to him with a bad unit. That said, i would look also for the used market for something along that price, nothing too expensive and for a beginner that i'm on the recording area hehe. Any suggestions?

7. pipelineaudio

pipelineaudio SS.org Regular

I've been working on this chart, but don't have any Behringer units yet. I've been trying to get some answers on the X32, but generally, anything you see around 14msec RTL at 256 advertised buffers should be good. If your system is modern, 14msec at 128 advertised buffers should be ok as well.

Regarding that video, its important to realize that the times reported in the upper right corner in REAPER are the claims that the actual driver is sending which may or may not be the ACTUAL times. The manufacturer could just be straight lying, which happens a lot, and often there are hidden safety buffers as well.

http://kailuamusicschool.com/tech/round-trip-latency-roundup/

8. Space_Shift

Thanks a lot for the clarification, i saw another video from him talking about another drivers and so far the latency was a bit better. I think i'm set with this interface and i'm going to get one. :D

9. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Im finally getting myself setup for home recording again as well. A few days ago I ordered the UMC404HD ( and some new microphones :agreed:), it hasn't gotten here yet but I think I will be happy with it.

I thought about the UMC22 or UMC202HD but I want to be able to do 4 tracks in for some multi mic demo videos im hoping to do eventually, also I want the option of 192khz and 24-bit.

Im pretty sure for what you plan to do the UMC22 should be fine.

10. Space_Shift

Sound very good, i hope it serves well for your needs! :D

Yeah i think i would be fine, thanks!

downburst82 likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Would love to see more impressions on the 204. I have a Focusrite Scarlett that seems to be failing, so I need a replacement.