Planning on buying an Axe Fx with my tax return, how nice of a laptop do I need to record with it?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by MTGeezy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. MTGeezy

MTGeezy SS.org Regular

So in February, I plan on taking the dive and buying the Axe Fx. The way I see it, it’s been my end all for years as amps go and I’m just already tired of lugging a 6505+ and pedals around to gigs. My understanding with the Axe Fx is that it can also be used as a recording interface correct? I apologize as I really don’t know much about recording/studio equipment in general.

Only problem is I currently don’t own a computer, so my plan is to buy a laptop over the next two months before I purchase the Axe. (And whatever else I’ll need to record with it.)

I’m basically shooting for a laptop that can handle the whole music thing, minor video games like hearthstone and maybe WoW classic when it drops, and just casual use otherwise such as watching streams and what not.

What can I get away with laptop wise as far as specs and what not? If anyone has links to certain laptops that would be great. Not looking to spend much more then $600.

Also what else would I need besides the Axe Fx plus a computer to record and play around with at home? Nice monitors I’m assuming? Any advice is appreciated, as I don’t really have much of a clue of what I’m doing here haha.

Thanks!

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Axe FX II mk1 is the first model with USB. The standard and ultra do not have USB, so you would need to get at least an Axe FX II. If you did get a standard or ultra, you will need an interface to accompany it.

I would not skimp on the laptop. Get the best processor, RAM, and SSD you can for your money. Shop around on newegg and micro center. Hell, with Black Friday coming up, I'm sure you could find a sick deal on something in that price range. If you really start recording and start using plugins and whatnot, you're going to run out of RAM/CPU if you skimp on the laptop. My laptop is a Lenovo and has an i5 with 8gb of ram and a 256gb SSD and I cannot mix full sessions - it runs out of RAM and CPU. Can I record a few tracks and use midi drums without heavy processing, sure, but that's no fun.

Lastly, you'll need a pair of headphones or studio monitors.

Cheers!

3. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I still use a 2012 macbook pro with 4GB RAM to record with my Axe-Fx II using Ableton Live 8. It's fine. I don't use that machine for anything else though, it's dedicated entirely to music (I use Linux for everything else).

That, some good monitors, and you're good to go. I do like using a cheap korg kontrol2 as a midi controller as well though.

4. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

You can record with very basic laptops/computers. But, if you really want to get into recording multi-track projects, with guitars, drums (possibly programmed), bass, synths, vocals etc etc and you're going to want to mix this too, you're going to need atleast 16gb of RAM. A good processor is a pre though, i5 with 16 gb of ram and a decent motherboard will get you very far. If you don't want to do this, you can just send it to me and I'll mix it for you ;)

A gaming computer usually makes for a decent audio-production computer too.

For comparison purposes, I use my computer mainly for mixing and recording. It's an i7 6700, with 16gb of RAM and an 256 gb SSD to run all my programs from. A SSD will really help out with speed while working in projects.