Planning first tattoo (advice, recommended shops in NY, DC?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neurosis, Jan 28, 2018.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

A friend is coming to visit from overseas and we are planning to get tattoos end of March or April. Designs are pretty much done since we are both artists but we have zero clue of what shops to contact for the job.

The tattoos will be fairly small (about 4 by 4 inch max) and designs will be simple: one to two colors, mostly lifework with minor to no shading. At least that;'s the plan right now.

Do you have any tips on researching the best tattoo shops in DC and NY or just advice on getting a tattoo in general? Stuff we should consider, prepare for? Advice for body parts that are easier to tattoo or preferred by the tattoos artists for better results?

We're starting to organize the trip and I'd like to get started on planning.

Thanks!

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Easiest places I've seen: biceps, forearm, thighs, places with decent amount of fat/muscle and not immediately over bone like ankles, ribs, heads, etc... Those are always the worst to do, and as someone who did both ankles at once, I agree. Just talk with them about the area you want to do and see if they have any comments about it possibly stretching the tattoo or possibly of blowouts in the line.

As for what to expect, if you're mostly line work, then you've got nothing to worry about; the bitch of all tattoos is shading since it involves multiple passes and varying pressures to get the shading correct.

There's some pain to be expected, since youre repeatedly piercing the skin with a machine, but it's honestly not bad once you get into it. Aftercare now seems to be lotion + keeping it wrapped for a few days, but it varies from artist to artist. I've always kept it wrapped for the night, lotioned over the next few days while it's totally uncovered and breathes, then let it start to peel for a day and usually take a washcloth to it on the 2nd day (gently cant be stressed enough here, just warm water/soap and you basically drag it over only adding pressure when needed).

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

A good way to scout tattoo artists these days is via instagram. Follow some tattoo shops and check your insta now and again and you'll probably find an artist consistently doing work you like, then that'll be your guy!

Mathemagician and neurosis like this.
  4. TVasquez96

TVasquez96 SS.org Regular

Don't drink alcohol 24 hours before or after getting the tattoo. It thins blood so it'll be more likely that a lot of ink will fall out, or it'll generally make the tattoo look like shit. Eat a good size meal beforehand and drink water throughout the session so you don't pass out. For aftercare, use an ointment like bacitracin or aquaphor, but only use enough to keep the tattoo moist. Start using an unscented lotion when it starts to peel and just make sure it doesn't dry up. When you shower, lightly clean the tattoo with an unscented soap, and just let the water run over it. This is how I did it for the last 2 that I got and it worked like a charm, but then again what works for me might not work for you.

vilk likes this.
  5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Isn't bacitracin the main component of Neosporin? You wouldn't want to use something like that as it'll try to heal the tattoo and push the ink out while helping create scar tissue.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I thought the whole selling point of neosporin is that it prevents formation of scar tissue...

I know the place in my hometown used to sell this horribly overpriced specialty product called H2Ocean which was like some kind of saltwater gel

I had my stuff done in Japan where there is a product called oronine, and I definitely trust this dude who's putting 10s of thousands of dollars of ink into yakuza dudes. They also apparently use the stuff to sterilize skin before surgery? I know this info is probably not helpful for the purpose of this thread lol...

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Regardless of how it heals, somehow the wound is being closed, which if using something like Neosporin will view the ink as a foreign substance and try to force it out, which you most certainly DON'T want.

vilk likes this.
  8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

For the record, I am NOT saying to use neosporin. I've never heard of someone using it nor have I ever heard a tattoo artist recommend it.

9. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

That’s what I heard, that it’s more difficult to tattoo over bone and joints since it’s more painful for the client.

I am thinking back of my arm or calf, something like that.

Thanks for the tips.

10. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Sounds good. I’ll have to put in some more research time. Meanwhile do you (or anyone here for that matter) know any trustworthy studios you might want to recommend?

Thanks!!!

11. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice! Wouldn’t have thought of the alcohol. We were actually thinking of planning this into a bar tour weekend. Looks like we’d have to reschedule that.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I was told not to drink for three days after.

13. TVasquez96

I honestly prefer to use aquaphor. Bacitracin is one of the ointments that the shop I go to suggest it but I've always used aquaphor and it works for me
    It sucks but you gotta do it if you don't want it to look like shit so fast after just getting it

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

With fasting you mean alcohol, right? I can still eat normal and have soft drinks, coffee etc. correct?

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I think he means fast in the sense of time, which should be changed for 'quickly' in this sense

16. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Ok. Got it now. My linguistic abilities went on a trip there for a bit. Thanks!

17. TVasquez96

Yessir. Only thing that’s off limits is alcohol

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey, totally random question, but if there's anywhere on here I can ask this, it's here - can you tattoo scar tissue? Any issues I'd need to be aware of?

I'm now on my second surgery, an ACL repair in my knee and a labrum repair in my shoulder, and I've long been of the mindset that the scars you accumulate in life really speak to the person you are, for better or for worse. My shoulder surgery was only three weeks ago so the scars are still pretty fresh and raw, but my knee was four years ago and I'd really have to look to find them. I'm kinda thinking of, after my shoulder finishes healing, having the scar tissue tattoed, just lines tracing the scars, as a slightly more visible reminder of some of the experiences I've been through. I just have no idea if there's any reason that wouldn't be a good idea.

19. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

I've seen a few people over the years with tattoos on bad scars. I'd guess that it's a case by case type thing. Maybe hit up some tattoo forums and see what the consensus is? One recurring thing I've heard is that tattooing scar tissue can be a bit more painful.

This https://authoritytattoo.com/tattoos-over-scars/ article has some interesting info and seems to be pretty sensible.

Good luck with your recovery.