Planning a trip to Ireland in 2015..need some member assistance =)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by rg_76, Oct 27, 2014.

1. rg_76

rg_76 Contributor

hi all! I'm hoping we have some SS.Org members in Ireland ;p

I am planning to take my wife to Ireland sometime in 2015 and I have to admit, other than reading websites, I don't know much about Ireland.

I am planning on spending between 5 to 7 days in country, with 1 day of travel on either side.

Assuming this will be our one and only trip to Ireland, what places should we ensure we visit? what foods should we try? is there a part of the year that we should avoid Ireland in?

Thanks to all who can offer some input ;p

2. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

I'm from Ireland. Moved to Sweden last year.

Ireland is small. You can drive from the west coast to the east coast in less than 3 hours (North to south double that). So in your short stay you can actually see a lot of the country.

There's no time of the year to avoid Ireland. The weather is bad all the time :lol: But winter is probably bad. If it does snow the whole country grinds to a halt :lol:

Obviously with Dublin being the capital it's really the only city worth checking out. Every other city is pretty small (Dublin is small enough as it is for a city) and don't really offer much in respect to Dublin so it's best to use Dublin as a place to mingle with the Irish people and the rest of the country for sightseeing.

Areas outside of Dublin that may be of interest.
    Glendalough in Co Wicklow. (South of Dublin, very scenic)
    Cliffs of Moher in Co Clair (rural west Ireland)

Ireland doesn't really have Irish restaurants. But if you are looking for what every Irish person eats after drinking then look out for "Leo Burdocks" in Dublin. It's fish and chips style food.
    There are a lot of great restaurants around though.

Sorry for the small amount of info. I can't really think of things from the top of my head at the moment so hopefully others will chime in.

rg_76 likes this.
  3. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Come to Scotland instead. ;) We have better traditional music, better food, better whisky (no E in that!), Irn Bru, Deep fried Mars bars, more mountains...

rg_76 likes this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Well if good food is what you're looking for then Ireland is not the best choice but it's far from the worst (Sweden I'm looking at you). There are a lot of potato recipes (or spuds as they're called here) and thick soups. Chowder is very nice if you're not allergic to fish food.

I've been for over a year and I more or less agree with Whammy as the cities aren't really that big. Dublin is a nice city to visit for sure with nice parks and the University area is nice to visit. Belfast doesn't have that much to offer but I only had brief visits. Aside from that it seemed to me mostly as the big shopping region for N.Ireland. There are several parks to visit in the country. On the sight seeing I can say that the Giants Causeway is rather impressive and I really enjoyed the Ulster American Folk park, even though it was rather depressing at times. It shows the immigration history of Irish people to the US and it's really informative.

The city I live in Northern Ireland is rather small but has quite the history, since it's here where the bloody Sunday occurred and the start of the civil rights struggle. It's officially called Londonderry but everyone in Ireland calls it Derry for obvious reasons.

I don't know if US citizens need a visa to visit EU and the UK but if you do it won't be the same for the Republic of Ireland and N.Ireland.

A nice event to visit is the Fleadh which is the biggest festival of traditional Irish music, if you're into this kind of thing, which will be on May 9-11 at Cork county Welcome - Fleadh Cheoil Chorcai 2014 - Skibbereen, Co. Cork.

Then there's Port Rush which is kind of a seaside resort. It has some nice beaches but if you ask me you don't swim without a wetsuit even in the summer.

rg_76 likes this.
  5. rg_76

rg_76 Contributor

Thanks for all of the input! I will be researching the places you mentioned and try and make some sort of travel plan ;p I am seriously thinking of spending 3 days in Ireland and 3 days in Scotland now ;p (maybe add an extra day in there somewhere and visit a portion of London, since that is the connecting flights destination).

I am a big fan of potatoes ;p just thought I would thrown that in ;p

I'm going to work up a plan and then post it here for disection ;p

thank you Whammy, Solodini, and Edika =)

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Just a note and to poke some fun to Solodini, while Scotland has some beautiful places to visit don't go just for the food. I mean people that find haggis appetizing can't really know much about food right? :p
    But I'm Greek so most countries cuisine seem so and so ;).

7. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Hello rg_76.

I've spent a little bit more than two weeks in Ireland last year in summer for holidays... BEAUTIFUL place!!!

I try to not be a "traditional" tourist-man so... I recommend you to visit Dublin (there are a few nice places outside the city like Howth or Malahide that worth going there), Glendalough (that must be the place where all beauty and peace were born... amazing), Belfast and the Giant's Causeway and what I specially suggest you is to drive using a GPS but NEVER, NEVER using the highways... always use the "national" or secondary roads... you will find lots of amazing places.

Also, if you want to see an amazing cemetery where is a cross shaped tomb-stone (¿? tomb-stone? is that right? sorry for my bad english) go to Monasterboice. It's a really small place and even I can not remember if there is a town or something close, but that cemetery was peaceful and those enormous and beautiful crosses are just... mindblowing.

I'm not christian... I am not even religious, but that place was somehow "magical".

You will enjoy a lot your trip to Ireland. I loved it so much that I'am moving to Ireland (Dublin) in February and cannot stop counting the days!!!

8. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Best of luck with the move :)

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I would also like to mention that the characterization emerald island is totally justified. I don't think I've seen this much green anywhere else!

10. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

How can you not enjoy a cooked breakfast with haggis? Best hangover cure!

Our seafood is braw, too. (Braw means excellent/lovely)

I forgot to mention Scotland's many, beautiful and fascinating historical sites. Linlithgow Palace is really cool. Cooler than Edinburgh Castle. There's castles everywhere in Scotland. Beautiful churches, too. Like Zhysick said, even not being a religious person they're pretty amazing. Roslin Chapel (know for the Da Vinci Code and being near the town where Dolly the Sheep was cloned) is really cool and surrounded by lots of nature. We have a variety of different types of art galleries and lots of other cultural things, too, plays, storytellings, various performances.

There's some good stuff on during the Edinburgh Festival in August but it's tough to determine what's good and it can be outweighed by how busy and expensive things are during the festival so come before August or after September if you want to avoid most tourists.

BigBaldIan likes this.
  11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

^I've been to Glascow for a few hours and was in Edinburgh for a day. The only thing I can say is I can't wait to visit them again soon! Really nice cities to visit! Only problem for me was understanding what some people were saying :p!

12. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

Cliffs of Moher is one of the coolest places I've ever been, would highly recommend visiting there. Other attractions I'd recommend;

-Newgrange prehistoric monument built in 3200 BC
    -Any Castles along the way (They're all pretty cool)
    -Blarney Stone (Don't kiss it, people piss on it :lol:)
    -Guinness Factory Tour, get your free pint at the top and wait for all this to blow over
    -Jameson Factory Tour
    -All of Dublin (amazing city, easily accessible with a bus pass)
    -Kilmainham Gaol

:yesway:

Fat-Elf likes this.
  13. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

You found that easier in Ireland?! :spock: ;)

14. Whammy

Whammy SS.org Regular

Oh one part of Dublin to check out if you like museums is the "National Museum"
    National Museum of Ireland

If you want to see amazing artifacts from Ireland's past then it's a must. Being Irish it is one of those things Irish people don't do but when I finally went I was glad I did as I was able to see a lot of things that I learned about doing Irish history.

The museum displays tools, weapons and jewellery from 7000BC up to the late bronze age 500BC
    It has a 4500 year old longboat.
    Bog bodies (bodies that were preserved in Irish bogs for up to 4000 years).
    There is also a lot of the stuff on Vikings coming to Ireland along with medieval Ireland.

Awesome stuff if you are interested. Very boring if you're not :lol:

But yeah, I'd recommend visiting if you think you'd enjoy it :)

15. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I can't add anything to the discussion on Ireland as I've not yet visited, but I will point out that a US citizen will need a passport to get back into the US after traveling abroad, so even if you don't need one to visit Ireland, you'll still need one. So for anyone planning to travel outside the US, if you don't already have a visa, make sure to apply for one six weeks to three months in advance of your trip so you receive it in time - the US government is SLOW.

16. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Now I want to go to Scotland for my first holidays in Ireland...

How could I forgot Newgrange??!?!?!?!?!

I only saw it from far away because it was too late to do visit but even from very far away it is impressive.

Sure is the first place I am going to go. I now there are kind of special visits you can go during the night and do some kind of astronomical observations and that kind of things (that I really enjoy) so... I will start booking one of those visits right now.

Thank you rifftrauma!!

17. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I spent a week in Ireland last winter. It wasn't long enough. We fit a lot in, but if I could do it again, I'd rather spent at least a couple days in Dublin alone, maybe a day or two in/around Galway, and then take day trips from there to other places.

18. Beavis83

Beavis83 SS.org Regular

I'm from Ireland as well, and if you only have 7 days I would highly recommend trying to see Cork and Galway as well, lovely small cities with great atmosphere and history. I'd also go with what a poster above said - definitely try to see the Cliffs of Moher.
    Dublin offers a lot of guided tours - Kimainham Gaol and Glasnevin Cemetery (burial place of many prominent historical figures) are both worth a look if you have the time. I also second the National Museum - well worth a look.

19. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Yeah, the downside being, I don't think I've seen more water anyplace else either. :D (Lived in Cork for 3 years)
    And don't believe the "mild climate" either, I got some of the worst snows in my life there, and the country really wasn't prepared for that. Could have mistaken the place for Norway.
    It was worth it if only for the beer though. :D