Plain Tobacco Packaging (UK and AUS Chime in!)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by scottro202, May 21, 2016.

1. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Standardized Cigarette Packaging

Does this colour turn you off?

The Standardised Packaging of Tobacco Products Regulations 2015

As an American, who less than 10 years ago was watching racecar leagues sponsored by tobacco companies (Winston Cup NASCAR anyone?), I could NEVER see anything this hardcore against tobacco/cigarettes happening here.

But to the Australians who've had this policy and to the UKers who will be having it soon, what do you think? Do you guys think having cancerous images on your tobacco packages will reduce smoking?

So is the UK going to have the images of cancer, emphysema and whatnot like Australia? I also had a buddy one time show me a pack of cigarettes from Egypt and they also had it, do you my fellow Americans think this will be happening to us anytime soon?

2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

it could happen, but IDK it's going to matter that much to people who are really addicted to nicotine, as I know a few people who are.

think of it this way, if a crackhead wants to buy crack because he can't live life without another hit, do you think he's going to care if it's in a little baggie with dicks printed all over it?

3. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

Can I just say your crack analogy with your Rockso the Rock n Roll Clown avatar is a pretty funny sight? I also think he'd be MORE inclined to buy crack if the baggie had a bunch of dicks on it :lol:

In all seriousness though, I see your point. At this point it's pretty hard to say you're unaware that smoking has a million ways it can kill you. I knew that even when I WAS smoking! Smoker's gonna smoke.

4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I'm an american, but I guess I'll chime in. I'm gonna have to agree with Alex on this one. If the shit that I cough up every morning isn't enough to make me stop smoking then changing the packaging won't either. Honestly I don't see it happening in america anytime soon. I feel like the tobacco industry has enough lobbyists to keep anything like this from getting to far off the ground. Not to mention every politician from a state who's big exports include tobacco (North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, etc.) would catch a ton of flack for letting something like that pass.

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I used to be a casual cigarette smoker, and even when I did I couldn't stand second hand smoke and didn't even want to get smoke for my own cigarette in my own face. moving to personal vaping really helped my wife, who had way more trouble quitting than I did. I barely vape anymore, but I still have to rebuild coils and make the liquid for her. whatever keeps her off the stinkies :yesway:

I'll just stick to my cocaine :lol:

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Indeed. Honestly, given the power of lobbying and the bogeyman of "big government regulation" in so many parts of the country, it's kind of astounding that the tobacco industry has been hit as hard as they have been already in terms of court judgments, advertisement restrictions, Surgeon General warnings, and taxation. Pictures of tumors, etc. is just too much.

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Cigarette advertising ended in the UK years ago. On year the race cars said West, Marlboro and Mild Seven, the next they said Kimi, bar code and Team Spirit. I thought we already had the pictures of decaying organs on cigarette packaging. I'm not sure because we already have legislation that shops have to cover their cigarettes with a door that says about being 18 and how smoking kills. I'm not even sure I could tell you the last time I saw a cigarette pack.

I don't know if this specifically will get people to stop smoking, or keep people from starting. I think the combination of this, lack of advertising, lack of visibility in shops, ban on indoor smoking, illegality of smoking in a car with children, and the coming ban on flavoured cigarettes will make life harder for people who smoke, because they smoke. Hopefully that will have them quit.

In my experience, though, people start smoking either because they're drunk at the time, or because their cool school friends do it. If I don't buy the packet myself, I may not see the packet, and won't be affected by it. I don't think I've ever heard of someone go to a shop and decide to take up smoking while getting their groceries.

I just wish the small F1 teams could find sponsors to replace the cigarettes.

8. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

For people who don't want to see the image, but aren't deterred by the packaging, "Welcome new cigarette box covers!".

It's possible it could deter new smokers. Although I smoke every now and then and I am fully aware of the potential risks so who knows. I always thought the funniest thing to see on college campuses were people who still look like teenagers smoking. No easier way to spot a freshmen who just turned 18. :lol: So apparently people still think it makes them look older, but it honestly has the opposite effect in a young crowd IMO.

Those anti-smoking ads don't typically have an affect on me either, usually because it comes across like fear ad propaganda which I'm not typically inclined to buy into.

I smoke more frequently when I drink or when I'm socializing so in that state of mind I don't think it'd affect me much honestly.

9. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

When I used to work in a booze shop that sold them, the smokers almost made a game of the images.

Gotta collect all the images, kind of thing. Plus there was always the " gee that is pretty bad, I bet that person smoked a lot more than I do" attitude.

In Aus the tax on smokes is huge, it now cost about $1 per cigarette. Raising the prices, putting images on the boxes, making all packets look the same, hiding them behind the counter, etcetera, did very little for many already smokers, but it has stopped many youths from starting. Probably just the price thing though for people thinking of starting smoking.

10. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I always thought it was weird that I am a casual smoker yet second hand smoke really bugs me. I guess i'm not alone :lol:

Vaping was worse for me then smoking, because I did it everywhere and anywhere, any time. My lungs felt awful. So I just stopped nicotine all together, now I feel much better.

11. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Raising taxes on cigarettes, changing the packaging, hiding them behind curtains or in special rooms, and commercials against them do not make people stop or prevent them from starting. - or at least don't work on 99% of the populace. All it does is waste peoples time and money. Some people have heart surgery cause of their smoking (wife's uncle) and still don't stop smoking (he's passed away now). Others get cancer and still don't stop! Luckily my father-in-law stopped and is now going through chemo and radiation therapy and the prognosis appears positive (lung cancer).

I've dealt with so many people in my life that either had major heart surgery (also my step father, and he died as a result of a blood clot from the quintuple bypass) or cancer (my actual father who got brain cancer - spread from his lungs) that simply won't stop no matter what or only when it brings them near death.

I quit smoking cigarettes after my step father died about 19 years ago and am glad I did. These days I enjoy a single cigar a day when I get home from work, and I skip some days. I only smoke outdoors, never inside where I'm sitting in the second hand smoke. I also obviously never inhale, that's not how you smoke cigars. Sure I know there's still some risk involved but it's my choice.

Rev.

12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I work for one of the large not for profits here in OZ that lobbied to get this implemented among other things like no smoking in pubs and bars , but don't work in that area

IMHO its aimed at the kids who may start smoking now rather than the current generation of smokers. yeah you may make a few long time smokers think about it with it but you aren't going to sway many to actually quit with a few pictures . the highly taxed price of cigarettes here is more likely to eat into that market .But a kid who doesnt have a connection to smoking is more likely to decline.

the rules here about showing smoking on TV are even very strict .just on the weekend we put on one of the muppet movies from the 80's to keep my 1 year old occupied a while we cleaned up and one of the human characters was smoking . so weird seeing it in a kids movie these days

If people want to smoke I say its up to them but I'm all for big tobacco being forced to tell the truth about their products so people are making an informed decision .and i'm all for giving kids the chance to decide if they want to smoke when they are older

13. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

By all means a person should be able to shorten their own lives if they so choose. Also, as much as smoking is a public health hazard so is climate change and you sure as sh1t don't see exhaust systems or steaks sold with graphic depictions of coral bleaching due to green house gasses.
    A bit of a stretch but I think you can get my point. The way tobacco and issues related to it are always so indicative of how much of a cash cow the industry is.

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

FWIW I'd like to say...My Dad smoked since he was 16 yo. He was a two pack a day or more guy and the only thing that got him to quit was hypnosis and believe me he tried everything. I pass this along to those who might be considering quitting.

15. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

A few notes.

For one, I've found it both weird and fantastic to find out that the vast majority of student at the school I teach at don't smoke. I was a student at the same school, and about 50% of my friends smoked by the time I hit Year 9. It's not like students try to hide their choice to smoke (as they think it's cool); as long as they're not busted smoking on school grounds there's nothing we can do to stop them, so they'll talk openly about it if they do. That's one reason there's fairly solid data on youth smoking in Australia, which has hit an all-new low, though weirdly, the stats get fuzzy when students hit 16, because they can voluntarily exit school to enter the workforce.

The plain packaging laws just supplement the existing effective approaches: education campaigns, advertising the medical effects, restrictions on where you can / can't smoke, etc.

I have to disagree with Rev (which is rare) that these efforts are a waste of time and money, but this is largely because Australia has national public health care (as is being discussed in another thread in this sub-forum). Analysis of a 1997 campaign against smoking in Australia suggests that after $9 million was spent in six months on the campaign ...

That was at a point in time when the amount of smokers had increased, after a drop in the 1980s, so you're going to get more bang for your buck when a higher proportion of the population smokes. Also, I'm suspicious of the "$9 million spent" claim, as more recent campaigns have cost around $100 million, which is still pretty good when you factor in health care savings.

Last note; anecdotal:

Plain packaging made up the bulk of the recent changes, but it wasn't everything. Cigarettes must now legally be stocked by stores in locked cupboards that may not be made of glass. So, you can't even see what you're buying. My partner recently 'relapsed' after spending a bit of time around people that smoke, which means she'd been grabbing cigarettes off others but not buying them. Feeling guilty, she recently tried to buy a pack to share with the group she'd been smoking with. I was surprised when she said "Can I have a pack of (brand)?" and the checkout lady asked which variety. My partner said which one, but the name had changed, and the checkout lady isn't legally allowed to describe the difference between the packs. In other words, if you don't know specifically what you're buying, you're not allowed to buy it. My partner walked away without cigarettes and just gave money to her smoking friends. Obviously, a 'dodgier' checkout person would have just made suggestions or grabbed a random pack, but the hurdle still exists.

16. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

I can't bloody wait for plain packaging, i work in a shop that sells the stuff and it will be a bloody hoot on many different levels. First level, if you get it wrong for the customer you will look stupid. Second, stock takes will be fun as the independent stock counters are paid by shift and want to finish as quick as they can. Thirdly, theres more to come in the Scottish/UK licensing laws.

The first thing to happen will be to make supermarkets sell cigarettes in one location taking them out of petrol stations associated to them. Second will be to inconvenience smokers by taking limiting licences to a certain amount per post code, so G1 1xx postcodes would be limited to only 10 locations for talking sakes, but out side of the city G1 location it may be 10 in the whole G65 location. The last thing is that shops selling them will be limited to 12 hours selling them, so 24 hour sites will have to choose when they sell them, unless it is laid down by law to 10am to 10pm for talking sakes.

Alcohol is going to be worse, minimum pricing will eventually come, once they manage to work out a formula to keep the Scottish Whiskey producers happy. Then shops selling the stuff will have to make a shop-within-a-shop with a seedy side entrance look, no paying for it with your food shopping. Then the final straw will come when the rest of the UK follows the Scottish lead for the Drink Drive limit to be reduced from 80mg to 50mg and then finally to 30mg.

Then the next thing will be Knives behind Glass displays, Computer Games/DVDs/BDs will be similar, the last and final thing will be all energy drinks that are not glucose based (Anything but Lucozade in other words) will then carry a 16+ restriction. The Sugar tax is coming as well, we do know that.

The law is tightening, and will become a lot tighter. Look to Scotland as ultimately we will be used as the blueprint for what will happen in the rest of the UK.

17. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Someone's stolen your hat mate:

[​IMG]

18. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

I wish it would be in the US as well. Anything helps however small it might be. I struggled with addiction myself. Cigarettes/nicotine/vaping by my own doing and opiates as a result of serious illness and surgeries. No matter what anyone says, no one one wants to continue being addicted. You might enjoy smoking, but you don't enjoy being addicted.

Leaving your home and having to turn around because you forgot your drugs. Getting up and going to the store immediately to get cigs or immediately taking pills. Fear of running out. Continuing to do something you don't truly want to do. Feelimg shame over inability to quit.

These are all things you deal with when addicted to a substance. I once had my car towed after a car accident and chased the tow truck driver on the highway to flag him down because I left my vaporizer in my car lol