Pickups recommendations for an all maple, neck-through 6 string.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by DiezelMonster, Jan 2, 2019.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Hey guys.

Over the 29 years I've played guitar and half of that working in a music store, I've really developed what I like or even look for in a guitar.

for a long time I thought I disliked anything maple so I avoided it like the plague.

I happened across this guitar

[​IMG]

This is an all maple, neck through B.C. Rich from the 80's and currently it's got an EMG 60 and an SA in it, I love everything about this guitar except the pickups.

Since I don't have as much experience with maple, I'm not sure where to go with this guitar.

The guitar has been modified, it had a Kahler trem but was fitted with a floyd rose.

The neck is a single piece of maple and it has quilt maple wings with a rosewood fretboard.

To give you an idea I play things in the style of Immolation, Hate Eternal, Cryptopsy and Morbid Angel and lots of others. I'd prefer the guitar to still have a clean signal when I'm on a clean channel.

otherwise, please help.

Thanks.

mnemonic likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

1. is the guitar brighter or darker sounding through your rig
    2. what's your budget
    3. what issues are you trying to solve with new pickups? ex: not clear enough, not high enough output, etc

DiezelMonster likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

You might try an EMG 85 in the bridge. It's alnico with a thick midrange, which should help out the bright nature of the guitar. I'm probably not much help as to what to do with the neck single :lol:

As for passives, it might help to look at medium-ish output pickups that have more low end and/or reduced high end like a Tone Zone

4. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

As a fellow all-maple neck-through BC Rich USA owner, I find that all maple isn't so much "bright" as it is "really really REALLY aggressive and punchy". Whatever pickups you'd use in Alder/Maple should work OK here, just know that it's going to be punchy.

In other words, I'm saying go Black Winter.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Someone buy this man a drink.

6. DiezelMonster

To answer all questions above, the pickup in the guitar is articulate enough I suppose, but it lacks punch and output.

I don't want to stay with active pickups, so thank you for the EMG 85 rec but not going to happen 8P

Budget isn't an issue per se as I was thinking of going the BKP warpig route as I know some folks really dig them in maple.

I've got a Bogner Ecstasy, that is the amp I'll be using and then eventually a Powered By Omega Iridium.

Regarding the Black winter, I've had that in an RG7620 and liked it but found that it did not clean up when using a clean tone, regardless of amp *Dual Rec racktifier, XTC, 5150 the amps I've tried on clean settings with that guitar.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire what is shred may never die

the ceramic warpig is a bit overbearing on the low end and high end ime but it does mellow brighter sounding guitars decently.
    blackhawk or impulse also do pretty well in brighter guitars. I'm quite fond of the impulse set but the blackhawk has more output and is a bit darker sounding overall, so it might mesh better with your guitar.
    if you're open to other brands the elysian hellfire is a great choice as well. much better cleans than the warpig or impulse imo while still offering a pummeling heavy tone. they're also a surprisingly versatile yet higher output set like the impulse.

I've got descriptions/videos of all the aforementioned pickups (except for the warpig in 6 string form) over in my 6 string shootout thread:
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/6-string-pickup-shootout-no-bull-no-frills.326800/

8. DiezelMonster

That's so funny, I felt the blackhawk pickups I've tried were too bright and stiff. That has been my main complaint of BKP they just all feel so stiff. The bass is lacking in this guitar so it being over bearing isnt an issue.

I kinda want a Duncan custom or parallel axis and one of the new Red Devil singles they make.

Zoobiedood likes this.