Pickups for rg652 KFX

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheUnknownOne, Nov 20, 2018.

1. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Hi Folks,

I bought a brand new Ibby prestige 652 KFX, and I'm pretty excited to receive it !
    Grabbed it for a cool price, and I'm really happy because it seems to be discontinued.

Now I'm already thinking about swapping the pups, atleast the Tone Zone because I never felt really right with that pickup.

What could be the best options ? Body is basswod with an american blackwood top/veneer, and obviously bolt-on maple neck.

I was thinking about those pups :

- Duncan SH6
    - Duncan SH5 Custom or Custom/Custom
    - Duncan Omega
    - BKP Blackhawk

I mainly play modern metal in Drop C/B, and I would like something with a lot of crunch, not too shrill and fast bass response. Had succesful experiences with both Duncan custom in a lightweight mahogany body and neck guitar, and SH6 in a darker/heavier mahogany and maple neck one

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I would wait till you get the guitar and see how it feels and responds to the Tone Zone. Every guitar is different even when it's the same model and wood. From there if you find it too dark or too bright then we can help. I don't want to suggest a pickup that might be the total opposite of what you need/want.

3. TheUnknownOne

Yes I will obviously wait to hear how the guitar resonates before making any kind of decision !
    Tone Zone is not bad for some applications but I've always found it saggy in the low end, even more with tuned down guitars

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I love Guitarmory stuff a lot. I own more sets from them than anyone else.

Sounds like something with a ceramic magnet is what you need but one without a shrill high-end.

How much output are you wanting? Medium or high?
    How do you want the mids? Pronounced or more even with the other frequencies?

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  5. Albake21

Yup I thought the same thing in my RG652K (damn I miss that guitar). I remember throwing in a set of Alpha/Omegas and it sounded very impressive. I had it in Drop B and thought it sounded perfect.

6. TheUnknownOne

I've always been intrigued by The Guitarmory stuff !
    A guy in my FB feed plays a Harley benton multiscale with pickups from that brand and it sounds killer. Guess the band name is "I, Magnified". Killer chops.

Something with moderately high output would be great. Then I'll have to hear how the guitar sounds before answering those other questions !

lewis likes this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I have a KFX and have zero issues with saggy low end, but then again I'm playing through a Fryette :lol: I play in drop B

Every time I think about doing a pup swap my mind is always changed when I plug the dang guitar in. I think they are seriously underrated pup. I don't play prog or anything like that, I'm more of a black metal, grindy sludge guy.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man no pics? Lame.

9. Albake21

He doesn't have it yet and bought it new.

10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

The I, Magnified dude is using the Orion set jsyk
    Personally, that one isn't my thing with the alnico 9 magnet it has but that guy does get a really good sound from them.

The go-to sets from Guitarmory that I usually recommend are the Foxbat and Atlas sets. Foxbat set is more evenly EQed, medium output. Atlas is higher output but has more pronounced upper mids. I really like both sets I'm just not sure which would be better suited to basswood. Most of my guitars are swamp ash. I'm really thinking the Foxbat ceramic set would suit you (the alnico 5 version is too warm/fuzzy to be considered a tight fast-attack pickup). I haven't tried the ceramic Atlas set but the alnico 5 Atlas set I have is pretty tight for alnico and is one of my top 3 pickup sets period.

11. TheUnknownOne

Will do a proper NGD for sure !

12. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I can only vouch for the SH6 and the Black Hawk. I had a SH6 in my basswood schecter Omen 6 and I still think it's one of the best sounding pick ups for just straight riffing. Just has "that" sound when you hit a power chord that just sounds so satisfying and full. It lacks a little bit clarity wise on bigger chords but the bass response was never an issue for me.

The Black Hawk is a different thing. I have the alnico V version in my Mahogany RGA 121 and it has a very nice top end to it that's not shrill at all and is very articulate on big chords (as are basically every other BKP). The only area I find it lacking in is, for lack of a better term, the "balls" factor. I find that chugging on them is very percussive but doesn't have that aggressive purr that I'd like it to have. It's almost like it's so articulate it lacks in other areas. Still great for what it is though.

13. TheUnknownOne

Yup, SH6 is like the EMG81 of passive with an old school thrash vibe for me. Good all-around riffer but can easily get harsh and is slightly scooped.
    Duncan Custom is good too but is very sensitive and sounds really different depending on the guitar

I've got an eye on Blackhawks but I heard they were sometimes lacking "growl", so I'm not sure about it.

Somehow, I need something that could handle stuff from August Burns Red riffing and chugs to Periphery chords, if that exists

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  14. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I'd say either the Omega or even the Pegasus. The Custom Custom would be great if you didn't tune low and need a tighter low end- it is mostly mids, but what it does, it does very well. I just don't think it is the right choice here.

15. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I had a DiMarzio Titan in the excact same Ibanez model, it was tight and handled those wide Periphery chords.

cwhitey2 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  16. TheUnknownOne

So I just received that baby today !
    Great great guitar, the neck profile is really surprising : so thin yet not totally flat in the hand...

Sounds pretty balanced and the Tone Zone reminds me a lot of an EMG57 in that guitar, at least in Drop D.
    Gotta hear how it behaves in lower tuning tho, but because of my previous experience I expected something a lot worse. It does not sound much more muddy than the SH6 I've got in a mahogany body guitar, It justs lacks a bit of pick definition imo

NGD is coming soon

AkiraSpectrum and Albake21 like this.
  17. TheUnknownOne

A friend described the Titan as a tighter, crunchier Tone Zone, so I might give it a try. It's dirt cheap used

18. TheUnknownOne

I'm interested in both, but first I'd need to know hot to fit them properly like Dimarzio direct mounted ones. Is there an easy way to file the baseplate in a triangular shape ?

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

tin snips, dremel, metal files (if you're a luddite who hates power tools). modifying baseplates is very easy.

AkiraSpectrum and TheUnknownOne like this.
  20. TheUnknownOne

I thought it was harder than that, thanks !

And what about a Lundgren M6 ? Since I pretty much love the SD Distortion, isn't this one a more focused, less harsh variation of it ?