Pickups for Ibanez RG 7321 to play Death Metal

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HellIsForChildren, Jun 20, 2017.

1. HellIsForChildren

HellIsForChildren SS.org Regular

Hello, Im new to the forum and I've been looking to posts like this and Im not sure what to get.

The situation is this:

I have an Ibanez RG 7321 and I'd like to replace the standart pickups for something a lot more aggressive.I don't know what choice to go for. The tones I look for is something like Fear Factory(I am A BIG FAN OF DINO CAZARES TONE),Carcass(Necroticism album),Cannibal Corpse(Last albuns) and Nile(Last album).

I like very much the EMGs 707,Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient,SD Blackouts and Dimarzio X2N-7 all this for the bridge pickup.Im looking to replace the bridge pickup first, the neck pickup is for another discussion.Please help! :hbang:

PS:Don't recommend Bare Knuckles or Lundgrens for me, where I live(Brazil) theres no one who sells them and is too expensive to import.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Dimarzio D-Activator for sure, or Dino's signature Duncan if you're good with going active.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

The nazgul is great for death metal but very picky about the guitar it goes into. If you have a darker sounding amp/guitar then it'll work better. The nazgul can be very obnoxious with the wrong setups.
    If you are going to go EMG then go with the 81-7x or 707x for the bridge, I find those to be great for metal, though definitely not my first choice of pickup.

4. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

a thing to keep in mind is that if you swap your bridge pickup to an active then it would be tricky to have a still working neck pickup. so if you really wanted an active like EMGs or Blackouts then it would be best to swap them both at the same time. i very much like the x2n, so if you wanna keep it passive then that's what id recommend

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I had SD Blackouts in my Schecter Blackjack ATX V-1 (6-string), and loved them for around 4 years. However, I bought a SD Black Winter set for my other guitar and that's when I started hating my Blackouts, lol. The Black Winters should also be on the top of your list. Anyhow, I got rid of my Blackouts and rather than outfitting the Schecter with another Black Winter set I gambled and bought a Nazgul instead. It turned out to be a great choice -- as it is a little different than the BW bridge but in an equally gnarly way. Maybe it's that my guitar is solid mahogany and heavy, but it doesn't sound too bright or harsh at all. Doesn't sound djenty to me either. Just straight up DEATH metal tone. The BW bridge tops it by a hair though. It's got a tad more bottom end -- but not too much; just the right amount to sound massive, hateful, and angry all the time. But back off the volume knob a bit and it does awesome cleans and lighter stuff. Best pickup I've ever owned, played, or heard.

TL/DR: If you thought you liked Blackouts, realize that the Nazgul and Black Winter put the Blackouts to shame.

6. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

I had much the same question years ago, and what still sits in my 7420 is an X2N-7, and the stock neck pickup. I always wanted to swap it but was never bothered to, as it sounds fine.

7. HellIsForChildren

Well...I found a seller that it have some Bare Knuckles available...and he says that he can import any model that I want...hahahah!IM VERY EXCITED TO KNOW THIS,HAHAHA!

A Warpig in the bridge plus an Aftermath at the neck and my guitar will DEMOLISH AND RAPE ANY MUSIC!!Haha!

8. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I like the Black Winters, the Nazgul/Sentient combo and if you can find them and they fit (they are active, too), the Retribution set.

9. HellIsForChildren

Guys, I made a decision today: I will go for the Juggernaut from Bare Knuckles. This will be my choice for the bridge position. Its available here and is tempting me a LOT!Hahah!The neck pickup I will choose later.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

well since you've opened it up to bare knuckles, I'd recommend the ceramic warpig bridge and cold sweat neck or if you want a nice snarly pickup, the black dog which is one of the meanest sounding pickups I've ever played.

11. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I haven't personally played it, but I'm not sure the juggernaut is the first thing I'd recommend if you're mostly wanting to do death metal. Echoing KailM, the Black Winter would be perfect, and as great alternatives, Dimarzio Evo or EMG 81. Those three I have used a lot, and they're all plenty aggressive.

12. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

Normally I would say Seymour Duncan Nazg├╝l is the answer to all things that are seven string! For pretty much any type of metal. And I know that they do sound good in basswood so it would sound great in your guitar.

However, there are few pickups that sound as good in an RG7 with a basswood body as the EMG 707. Basswood having so much midrange with not a lot of low end or high end, and the EMG 707 having so much low midrange and low end with a nice top end snap, they complement each other very well.

The cool thing about the 707 is that unlike the more commonly used 81 variant, the 707 has an alnico magnet so it has a bit of warmth and balls to it and actually doesn't have that much sizzling top end like a lot of actives do. And the rounded off top end of basswood kind of keeps any potentially sizzly active pickup highs toned down a lot.

I guess it all depends on if you are wanting the consistency and the more surgical crunch and tight low end of an active pick up or if you would like something passive that is a little bit more dynamic, organic and warm in its delivery.

If you are wanting something that is more organic keeping to the passive side of things, BKP Warpig is the way to go. I'm not saying that the Juggernaut would suck or anything. It's a fine pickup. But the Warpig is going to give you more of what you are looking for. It's versatile while excelling at more brutal tones but still maintaining the clarity that BKP tends to always have.