Pickups For An Ibanez 1527

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by chucklives6960, Dec 6, 2017.

1. chucklives6960

chucklives6960 SS.org Regular

I just got a 2004 Ibanez RG 1527 Prestige. It came without a case or arm for the bridge, but I got it for $495 + $115 for international 2 day express shipping. I'm about to get a new arm, case, and a set up done on it. However, I know the stock pickups are generally regarded as weak, so I was wondering what recommendations are out there for what to replace those with. Any thoughts? My first instinct is to go with a set of the Nazgul/Sentient pickups from Seymour Duncan. However, I don't know how well these pair with an Ibanez and the basswood body, as I primarily have utilized a set of Agile Interceptor Pro models over recent years.

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

D-Sonic or Blaze custom for bridge. For Neck Liquifire for a more shreddy sound or a Air Norton for a smoother, creamier tone.
    I had that same guitar and ended up with the D-Sonic since the covered Blaze Custom I had
    was sitting too high on the cavities.

I would advise against The Sentient and Nazgul cause they suck(to me) and they're taller than Dimarzios and the pickup
    cavities on the 1527's are very shallow. The covered pup I had was almost touching the strings, and the D-Sonic barely
    fit decently. All of this plus the fact that Duncans are taller than Dimarzios.

3. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Nazgul /sentient work in my RGD 2127z with no height issue at all. I did mag swap the sentient to Alnico II though as a personal preference.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

You're in Texas, a pair of Rio Grande!

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Nazgul/Sentient combo should easily fit inside of your Ibanez.

6. JMT

JMT SS.org Regular

I have a 1527Z and have use a pegasus/sentient in the past and had to route the cavities as they are too shallow. Since then I swap then for the dimarzio TZ7/AN7. The tone zone is the better one for the bridge (because of the floating trem) and the sentient is the better one for the neck (a bit clearer).

7. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Nazgul / Sentient combo absolutely fits in a 1527, physically. Whether you like them sonically or not is a different story. They've got an interesting attack but keep in mind I have them with a maple neck/fretboard 1527 so YMMV.

8. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I tried to put a Nazgul in my 1527 and it wouldn't fit. As someone said previously, the cavities aren't deep enough to house them. :2c:

9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

A Nazgul/Sentient set won't fit in that 1527 model. It wasn't until years later that they reworked the cavities on Ibbys to accommodate after market pickups.

In my 05 Royal Blue RG1527 they were right up against the strings so they pickup cavities had to be routed quite a bit for the pickups to sit 3-4mm away from the strings. Any closer than 3mm and the Nazgul turns into a muddy overdriven mess.

takotakumi and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  10. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

To answer your question the majority of the Dimarzio 7 range is voiced towards Ibanez with basswood bodies so you have a lot to choose from. The Nazgul will tighten up the low end but the top 4 strings can get a bit bright and thin, the sentient works really well in a 1527.

It depends what tone you are looking for?

11. chucklives6960

Well, I like a fairly well balanced tone personally. I'm trying to get it all to sound tight and crunchy, with a good amount of clarity. I hate it when things don't have much mids, and when it sounds muddy. That said, I hate it when it sounds just totally sterile and lifeless. I use an ENGL Fireball 100 with an oversized Vader 4x12. The only pedals I have are an ISP Decimator and a Maxon 808OD. My previous guitars are two Agile Interceptor Pro models with Floyd Rose units in them. One is a 27" neckthrough with an ebony fretboard and I recently had the EMG 707s taken out for a Dimarzio Deactivator 7 and Luiqifire 7. I only installed those though because someone owed me some cash and traded them to me brand new. I don't have much passive pickup experience since my Agiles have 707s. The other Agile still has the EMGs and is a 25.5" neckthough with a maple fretboard. The only other Ibanez I have is an RGT6EXFX, so I'm not that familiar with basswood bodies.

12. chucklives6960

I forgot that I do have an X2N7 laying around I could slap into it. I was thinking about that, since I need to raise the action a tad and put thicker strings on it to help with my high E sliding off the edge of the fretboard every once in a while.