Pickups Comparison

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by AC.Lin, May 17, 2018.

1. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

Hello everyone !

This is a comparison video about the following pickups:

1. Bare Knuckles Aristides Custom
    2. Bare Knuckles Juggernauts
    3. DiMarzio Crunch Lab
    4. Seymour Duncan TB6
    5. Seymour Duncan AHB-1
    6. Lace Alumitone
    7. Bare Knuckles Nailbomb

Please, note that i'm not the one who made the video, but since it's about pickups and has only 2 views (mine) and it's really good, i thought i might actually share it.
    Of course, headphones are STRONGLY recommended.

Enjoy !

P.S: The Nailbomb is crazy good, Crunch Lab comes second imo.

2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

wow those juggernauts were bad

the rest each had pros and cons but my favorites are probably the Aristides Custom, Crunch Lab, or Distortion

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

really bothers me that people want to make comparison demos but can't even be bothered to test em in the same guitar. There's so many variables with guitar construction/parts that can influence the sound. I hated the juggernauts I had in my swamp ash 8 but kind of liked em in my darker sounding mahogany 8 string.
    that being said I really dug the aristides customs and the nailbomb. crunchlab and distortion weren't bad either.

pecado, Korneo, Ebony and 2 others like this.
  4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Each pickup in different guitar, but... Really liked the SD Distortion, love that upper mid grind they have. Nailbomb and Crunch Lab for second, BKP Aristides Custom had really nice characteristics too. I've never realized that Crunch Lab has so much going on in the low end, maybe a bit too much. BKP Juggernaut and Lace Alumitone just sounded like super "tubby" and lifeless, Lace pickups are almost too even sounding. There is still way too much variables to make decisions about how a pickup really sounds like.

5. odibrom

odibrom .

I did not enjoy any thing in this video. Those pickups all "sounded the same". Also, I'm kind of falling away on these comparison videos, specially with so many different guitars.

This particular video looks like a guitar show case for that guy "hey, look at my expensive guitar collection!" kind of thing disguised of a pickup comparison. The dude can play and edit and so on, sure, the video itself tells very little about those pickups, in my opinion, obviously.

Also, was it me or was there too much compression? Compression is good, but kills the objectivity of such test, again, in my opinion.

Pickup testing is something I've learned to be very... personal and evasive. Like @KnightBrolaire said, there are far too many variables to compare them. Is this comparison about how those guitars sound - are they stock? - seams fair enough... Besides that I see no point on it...

@Metropolis there is no thing as "how a pickup sounds like" as an absolute value. IMO a pickups sounds different with each one of the player using it... fingers play a huge part in it...

Flappydoodle likes this.
  6. Metropolis

Of course not, I meant how a pickup really sounds in a single particular guitar without all possible varying things.

odibrom likes this.
  7. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

The video is more a guitar comparison than an actual pickup tone test.
    The Aristides Customs, Crunch Lab and Nailbomb are those I liked the most, while the Lace Alumitone was the worst imho.
    The Juggernaut was really weird sounding: sounds like the guy was playing the neck pickup.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

When I saw the word "dry" I was expecting clean tones, but of course almost no clean playing to be found. I find it almost impossible to judge anything from pickups via sound clips when they're covered in gain. And it's a weird gain sound that sounds like it's pretty sensitive to how hot the signal coming in is. So.... I dunno how useful this is as a comparison.

odibrom likes this.
  9. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

Good Stuff....
    Frankly, they all sounded good. I did like the Nailbomb.
    Thats probably the best sounding crunch lab I have heard.
    The Aristides Custom sounded really good also. Wonder if you can buy those from Bare Knuckle.
    The Lace was kinda weird.

10. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

I knew people would come at me saying "meh, not the same guitar, blablabla" etc. :lalala:

And i know people are gonna hit me for that, but even if the wood of the guitar "might" change the tone, it would change by what...5% ? 10% ? 15% ?

We could also talk about the different weights, bridges, or whatever you want.
    But still, it's a good vid which gives an interesting point of view :agreed:

Masoo2 likes this.
  11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

May as well compare different pickups in a squier and a high end PRS... Different guitars with different pickups in a demo makes something that's kind of already pointless become way more pointless.

12. fps

fps Kit

It'll change a damn sight more than comes from any change of pickups.

Alex79 likes this.
  13. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

Are you sure ? Mmmmmmh i wonder :shrug:

It's crazy to see that on ss.org, as soon as you post a comparison, everyone starts to argue about how the wood matters, or how the guitars aren't the same, etc.
    It's like a sect waiting to shit on the first thread they come across.
    Having an opinion is cool, but it's like a butt, everyone has one.

Sure, the bridge/wood will affect the tones, because of the mass/density for example since it will change how the string vibrates. Ok, but the pickup does most of the job when it comes to tone. Even worse, what you'll hear will change depending on the headphone and speakers you are using, bruh.
    And even if the guitars are differents, it doesn't prevent you from figuring out that one pickup sounds mushy, the other saturated, etc. At least you are able to figure out the "trait" of the pickup.
    And in the end you'll just post-process the track anyway.

So take the video as it is: a worthy comparison.
    And if you want to argue about that then cool. Make a thread or better, a video proving your point, where you're not just saying out loud your opinion without adding any substance to it.

But come on, 7 comments out of 10, bashing the thread ...

That was my complain for today, thank you.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    gienek likes this.
  14. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Enjoyed by 4 out of 5

I hope Ola’s proud of himself for making that “graph=science” video people periodically throw out as a knowledge-bomb for those who haven’t experienced sharp or flat notes misrepresented as quantified, transcendent differences amongst the EQ curves of wood species.

15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Honestly I don't care enough to really debate it. I play guitar, I look for pickups that sound good to me in my guitars and I go with it. I just think pickup comparisons in different guitars aren't fair comparisons, putting tone wood and everything else aside .. It's going to be easier to tell the "traits" of a pickup when you use the same guitar. But hey whatever... BTW I never mentioned anything about wood....
    I just think the using the same guitar would be more consistent. I have used pickups in one guitar and they sounded way better in other guitars. Could it be because of the wood, or the built quality or the bridge or the strings? Honestly IDGAF, I just know sometimes certain guitars sound better to my ears than others even with the same electronics. That's all I really need to know in that maybe a pickup demo would be wiser with just one guitar...But hey like you said everyone has their own opinion...

odibrom likes this.
  16. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

Thank Lord you're here to enlighten me with solid evidences and an impressive argumentation, showing your point and what you stand for and not just using sarcarsm in an haughty way to discredit me.
    Quality debate.

17. odibrom

odibrom .

Hey, please don't react like that. People here are not saying that YOU are responsible for that video. As I see, most of us are complaining about the use of so many different guitars as a distracting factor for the proposed pickup comparison. IMO it fails as at it. Yes, the guy tried to give us a bit of everything on possible tones, from straight saturated dirt to crystal clear cleans and low gain stuff, but since those were cut apart from each other, this video tells me nothing about such pickups.

I have already spoken of the compression used, did anyone else felt it to be another misleading factor for pickup comparison?

The thing is, if one is about to do such a pickup try out and fuss about it, one might as well do it correctly and use the same guitar. A guitar is not only the wood/materials/components/construction it's made of, but most importantly how it feels to the player... when being played which is what we all look for. The dude's playing felt lifeless to my ears, hence the "they all sound the same" previous comment. It's obvious that I noticed differences between the samples provided, but these have so many different variables included besides the pickups that... well, you know the rest.

The dude plays? Yes he does. The dude can edit? yes he can. Have he succeed on a fair comparison of those many pickups? IMO, no, he failed completely.

elkoki and gienek like this.
  18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Fucking LOL

Different guitars and absolutely horrible tone - that ridiculous "djent" sound with the noise gate set with a threshold so high that you get no dynamics, no sustain, and then a clean sound

How are you supposed to be able to tell anything from this?

Seriously, the guitar a pickup is in matters A LOT

Put single coils in a Les Paul custom. Does it sound like a strat? No.

Just go to a guitar store and try out a bunch of the same guitar. Find 10 Les Paul standards, and you'll see that every single one sounds different - some darker, some brighter, some with more or less sustain, more or less attack. And some are just dead acoustically and when plugged in. I don't have the best ears in the world but it was very very obvious to me when I did this. Yet they all had the same wood species, the same bridge, the same neck construction, and the same pickups. So I don't even believe the "tonewood" is the critical factor - it's the entire combination of factors which make up whether a guitar is great or not.

19. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

I am not denying it, hell i even agree to that like i said before.
    My whole point was to show the character of the pickups in the vid.
    And surprise, the tone i hear matches what the reviews and brands are saying about the pickups even with differents guitars.

The aristides is dry, the crunch lab is crunchy, the TB6 is bright and handle saturation quite well, the AHB really is a monster like Seymour said and everyone knows, the nailbomb is very balanced yet cold like Bare Knuckle said, and so on.

Even if the tone changes with that combination of factors you can still capture what the pickup feels like, what it adds up, or how it handles just a bit of saturation, or how the output feels, etc.
    It gives a representation which is "good" enough to verify what is advertised by the brands or to confirm what you heard somewhere else.
    And yes, of course it won't be as precise as a real test, with the same guitar. That is obvious. But still it gives a solid and interesting indication !

But everyone is trying its best to not see my point and what i want to expose and i'm getting tired of it. It feels like i'm talking with elitists or tone snobs that refuse to at least try to understand what i'm saying.

So in the end you appreciate the video or not, good for you. I'll just stop answering since it's a one way conversation.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    odibrom likes this.
  20. Metropolis

Djent tone or not, the basic nature of those pickups are very well presented at least in terms of sound.

Masoo2 and AC.Lin like this.