Pickups changing

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Augury, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Hai,
    I just got my new RGR321EX today. And asked a guy in the music store how much cost changing the pickups to EMGs. He said... 70 euros + a set of EMGs. Hell, isn't it a little bit much? I mean, hey, 70 EUR for something like this? I thought, yea, 10 euros for sure or smth, it isn't much work and stuff like that.
    So, because for 70 euros I can have a third EMG (lul), I decided to do this myself, and I need to know, what I can exactly fuck up. And maybe some tips on doing it. I know, there are some tutorials on the net, but I'm still not sure about some things (for example what to do with pots and switch) and maybe someone already installed EMGs in the same or smilar guitar.
    Thx in advance,
    Augury

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That does seem like a lot, but it's definitely something that most places would charge more than 10 Euro for. Here in the US it's common to be charged close to 40 Euro (~$50). I can see how a shop with a large backlog of work would charge a bit more.

As for installing them yourself it's pretty easy, especially EMGs thanks to their quick connect system. You will need to solder the switch and output jack, but that's really not too bad if you've used a soldering iron before.

The pickups will come with installation instructions.

3. Augury

Augury f*ckin bow down!

Yup I can solder. Thank you very much for the response, really appreciated. I'll definately do it myself.
    Cheers!