Pickup suggestions for RG8... but there's a twist!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Discoqueen, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

Hey, y'all

I am getting a used RG8 in from Guitarcenter online this coming week, and really am planning on throwing some new pups in there, simply because I just want to upgrade a few things on the guitar for a nicer sound.

I am planning to use a lot of right hand finger picking on the guitar, but generally don't know much about applying that technique to electric guitars yet haha, but I figured that'd be relevant to my pickup selection. Touch sensitivity will be one of the main factors I look at when considering new pickups.

So, I am currently playing through a Rivera Chubster, which is a 40w or something tube amp with a single 12" speaker. I'm not sure how that is going to handle the 8 string guitar, but I figure if I really like the 8 string option, I'll worry about getting a new amp to mess with.

I want to play blues, folk, bluegrass on the guitar (why am eight you say? well, I love Meshuggah and Animals as Leaders, and am learning fingerstyle playing right now so I am intensely curious about experimenting and seeing whatvI can do with the extra two strings!) Anyways, clean sounds need to be really nice. (I'll be upgrading the nut, saddles maybe bridge, and tuners later on, or simultaniously when I have the pups put in!)

I may want the option for nice high-gain sounds, so probably won't want anything unpotted.

Looking to spend no more than two hundred, but please, if something comes to mind that is a little more expensive, let me know!!

To;dr: Looking for a pickup that is very touch responsive for fingerstyle playing. Clean tones are my main concern, but also hope to get a decent hi-gain sound.

Thank you all for any comments, suggestions, and advice!

Xoxo -Berizzle Drizzle Discosizzle

Also, suggested listening for what I'm planning on experimenting with would be very much so appreciated!

Apologies if this should have been in the RG8 mod thread, for the wall of text, and if this is in the wrong section.

2. odibrom

odibrom .

For touch sensitive pickups, I'd go for Javier's (Animals as Leaders) DiMarzios... since que does quite a lot of what you're talking about. I have D-Activators in mine and I can't complain. Very interesting pickups with alternative wirings. Single coil sounds are very nice, as well as parallel options.

My suggestion: also go for a telecaster 4 way switch with Neck, Neck+Bridge (parallel), Neck+Bridge (serial) and Bridge.

Then, if you're in the mood for it, some push/pull pots for independent coils split or parallel wiring. IF this mood is appealing, eventually get some mini switches and recreate the Seymour Duncan's tripleshot ring internal switching. Cool stuff there...

Another option would be to go for a 5 way superswitch and choose the options you enjoy the most...

3. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

I was looking into that set, actually! Though, I've not been able to find much on them. I hadn't even considered changing out the control layout, I suppose having a coil-tapped option would be really a great idea for both cleans and dynamics ^.^ I was actually considering ordering a fancy p90 set, since I found one or two pickup makers that produce 8-string humbucker-sized p90's, but those would be out of budget :lol:!

But thank you so much for your input! I will probably go with the Horizons when the time comes, unless I can figure something else out. Also, Javier is the man, so I suppose it'd be convenient and cool to have his sig set.

4. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

Seems that the new Tosin Abasi Fishman Fluence sig will be perfect for you! They were revealed at NAMM 2017 (a couple of weeks ago), so I expect them to hit stores soon. Check the thread here for a few videos from Tosin.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=318417

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

you want the cleanest of cleans? - lace xbars have the best cleans I've ever heard. Especially when coil split.

6. Keel

Keel SS.org Regular

You probably want to install aftermarket electronics as said above. I would go the five way switch route. You can get some great articulate tones for fingerpicking and double thumb when running your pickups parallel imo. It does lower your output by quite a bit though.

7. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

Thank you guys :)
    It really seems my main thing should be looking to get a five way selector so I can get cool-split tones.

I was curious about LACe X bars, but I only paid three hundred for this RG8, so I feel sort of *dirty* considering pickups that cost more than what I paid for the guitar. Then again, the RG8 is supposed to be a work horse, so I may just have to bite the bullet.

The Tosin Abasi Fluence are active? I'd rather maybe stick to passive so I don't have to convert the electronics and add a battery pack? But again, I could consider it :)

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I would go with some lace Deathbars or X-bars.
    I would also make sure to use a 250k pot.

I've heard over and over that using a 500k pot is just too bright when using any alumitiones.

9. KnightBrolaire

you can get a set of lace for around 230$, cheaper if they're used. If you're paying more than that then you're getting hosed.

10. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

Ahh, yes, I had confused the Lace prices with BKP prices. That is awesome, guys, thank you for the advice, I am finding the x bar with 250k pot and a five way selector switch may be what I'll plan on, though I am gonna keep researching all the options that were suggested.

You guys are supremely helpful, thanks!!

One more question, brands for the replacement electronics? I can look around StewMac and see what's up, but I'm just wondering if there are particular things I should look for ^.^

Thanks so much again, guys!

Xoxo -Discy

11. KnightBrolaire

CTS and Bourns make good volume/tone pots. can't go wrong with either. Both of them also make good switches but you can cheap out imo if you're only doing a mini toggle or something. just don't buy chinese potentiometers, they seem to fail faster/ have worse tolerances in my experience. You could go switchcraft for the output jack but I find that output jacks from china work just as well.

12. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

They are, but they don't compare to EMGs, at the least, nothing like 81. I don't know how much you've read about them, but from my experience with the Alnico 7-string Modern, the passive voicing is really close to a passive pickup, and when split, my Schecter C-7 channels a Dave Gilmour Strat :D

Tosin's reactions in this video were not subtle, he was blown away, lol. His Instagram videos, albeit low-quality, show dramatic differences.

[YOUTUBEVID]LVbjhXJ1WeI[/YOUTUBEVID]

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP_xnd_DqA3/?taken-by=tosinabasi&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP_85lZDQF1/?taken-by=tosinabasi&hl=en

13. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

^
    I've looked into the Fluence pickups a lot today, and so think the two strikes against them for me is price and the fact that I'd have to convert the guitar to support active electronics :/.

I think in an ideal situation, .I would have Fluences in a Kiesel Vader m8 :lol:. But for now, 8 can't really sink that music cash into this. So I mean, considering the x bars is kind of ambitious for my budget! I'll have to pick up some extra work just to get those ordered and installed! But where there's a will there's a way. Thank you for your information, though, man. After seeing how Tosin reacted, you're right haha I'm jealous of that glee! Though, sometimes with the ALA guys it's hard to see what the pickups they have would do for me, who doesn't have something like the AXFX2, or like, boutique amps and stuff.

KnightBrolaire: Thank you so much for the info! That's so helpful!