Pickup recommendations for Schecter PT7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by cat6oo, Sep 3, 2018.

1. cat6oo

cat6oo SS.org Regular

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

Just wondering what people would recommend for a Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid PT7 pickup swap. Currently has the EMG 57/66 set in there. I play through a line 6 Helix or a bogner shiva clone onoccasion.
    I currently like the sound of the neck, nice and fluid but not muddy or poorly defined, the bridge sounds kinda muffled/congested and lacks upper mid aggressiveness (think snarl rather than high end bite).
    I have tried a SD Pegasus in a similar guitar for about a year and it wasn't my thing.

Main genres are prog metal (not djent), prog rock and death metal.

Keen to hear your thoughts, active or passive are both fine.

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I'm getting a Guitarmory Foxbat (ceramic) set installed into my Hellraiser Hybrid PT7. I'll let you know how it turns out once I get it back from the shop!

The906 likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

My generic answer would be try duncan black winters or nazgul if you're going passive. If you're staying active, get the emg 81-7x bridge or some fishman moderns.

if none of those work for you, here's some other pickups that snarl like a mofo:
    dimarzio d-sonic (tight with a snarly and grindy midrange, meh cleans), bkp black dog (very snarly and clear, lower output, not as tight, and has solid cleans), elysian goliath (extremely snarly and clear, very heavy midrange, cleans up well), guitarmory patriot (very tight, bright and aggressive, with a snarling midrange as well, meh cleans)

4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

+1 on the Black Winters. I might not choose the Nazgul if you require a little versatility. It is great at what it does, but that is what it does.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Ohhhhhh boy, the Guitarmory Foxbat (ceramic) set sounds reeeeeally good. I definitely recommend this set for what you're looking for. They are super aggressive without being too high output which also gives them great clarity (plus the clarity from them being scatter wound in the first place).

6. cat6oo

cat6oo SS.org Regular

Thanks everyone, will look into those options :)

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I hate the low mid/boomy "womp womp" swelling on chugs on the Nazgul.

Just odd to me.