Pickup recommendation for 2 different guitars.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Paincakes, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Paincakes

Paincakes SS.org Regular

Heya,

I'm looking for some pickup recommendations for 2 different guitars. I'm trying to solve 2 different "problems" basically.

I'm looking for a tight modern metal sound like Machine Head drop tuned to Drop C / Drop B through 5150 / Fractal.

Guitar 1:
    A Mahogany neck through "super strat", ebony board, maple top, floyd rose. This guitar is really heavy, and the sound is bass-heavy. I've tried SD JB and SD Distortion, and both had the low end sounding a bit "wooly", with not enough pick attack to my taste. The guitar seems to sound too dark with those pickups, and lacks definition.

I'm contemplating something like:
    BKP Aftermaths or Juggernauts?
    SD: Nazgul / Sentient set or Alpha / Omega set?
    Any DiMarzio recommendations to focus the lows?

Guitar 2:
    An RG550, light Basswood Body, bolt-on maple neck. Currently equipped with Dimarzio Tone Zone, Air Norton, and True Velvet. The pickups sound "fine" and evenly balanced, but is a little on the "sterile" side (I don't want to say thin, but almost). It's the opposite problem from the previous guitar almost. Maybe needs just a little bit a low/mid growl? What would you recommend?

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

For guitar one I would try either an X2N or an Evo.

For guitar 2 may be a Super Distortion.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

Guitar 1: dsonic -great percussive and tight low end, cutting high end with great clarity. Med-high output. It's excellent for modern metal and metal in general.
    Guitar 2: titan or dominion.
    Both are thick and tight, but the dominion has more output and feels a lot thicker. Both are great for warmer sounding guitars or thickening up the sound. The titan needs a lot more gain to get a saturated sound.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^defintely the Dominion for Guitar 2 if you want a tighter thicker tone zone with less mud.